Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

Need a new refrigerator

theclose
11 years ago

Hello,

We recently purchased a new home and need a new fridge. I have searched the archives and didn't find much recent info.

Budget is about $2000. The cut out is 36" wide and 71" high, so any fridge out there would work, from what I understand. I think I want counter depth because there is an island across from the space that is pretty close. I would like a bottom freezer. I wanted a single top door but I think due to space restraints a French door would be better. Lastly, I want white. I think most brands come in white.

We are a family of 4 (2 children under 3 years old). Anyone recently purchase a fridge with similar requirements that is happy with the purchase?

Thanks in advance!
Maggie

Comments (6)

• theclose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I will answer my own question. I ended up with the Electrolux EI23BC30KW. No water/ice in door but there is ice in freezer. Might not connect it but will see. This and the Kitchen Aid offer the most capacity in counter depth so I was deciding between those two models. The Electrolux is "prettier" and since they were within $50 of each other, we went with the Electrolux. It goes against all that I know to make this big a purchase without more extensive research but I decided to throw caution to the wind and do it. Hopefully I don't regret it!!

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I have a Kitchen Aid side-by-side counter-depth from 2006, it is 72" tall and 36" wide. Even though it keeps the proper temp and work well for the most part, we dislike many things about it.
    The freezer shelves and not wide enough, making it hard for many items to fit. The ice maker had been changed out 3 times since ice like to jam-up, and then blow-out the ice motor.

GE had two counter-depth units comping out, one is a Profile model PYE23PSDSS, and the other is a Cafe model CYE23TSDSS. You can see pictures and specs of them on the AJMadison.com site and on goedekers.com site. I personally would like to replace my unit with either of those GE models. The Profile has a "hands free auto fill" feature for the water dispenser, which I've seen on the standard-depth unit. But the Cafe model instead has a hot-water dispenser and a "freshness cartridge" inside the top fridge for oder-removal.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Marmorelle- missed your post - but we had the same problem and the Elux was one of the few that would fit - It is now almost 3 years (or 4) old and still love it!
    Did you get the perfect temp drawer?
    We re-used the fridge in our reno but left space in case we want to use a slightly different fridge downstream.
    I also snagged it without much research (also unlike me) - they were offering a big rebate (15-20%) but I had to buy that day as the offer was really over and they had to retro it.
    No regrets - I replace the filters once a year and I do use the ice - mostly for sports injuries for DH (and sometimes me)
    Also, I brought my favorite items for the fridge and went down the line - No, No, No, No, Yes - then looked at the price and said NO - but they offered me the rebate. - Somehow things fit better in this one than most CT models.

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 14:02

• theclose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, a2gemini. I do not have the perfect temp drawer. I bought the low end model. It does have a cool zone drawer but you can't set the temp on it. Excited about the lighting though! It is really cool.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

But you can still set the freezer and fridge temp separately - you will be amazed at the rock solid ice cream in the freezer!
    Enjoy!!

• theclose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love that! And love ice cream. : ) Thanks so much!