Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisishishouse

Any affordable fridges above 36"?

thisishishouse
10 years ago

Why is there a huge leap in prices for fridges above 36"? Looking around, it seems that while a decent 36" fridge can be had for about $3k, going to a 42" more than doubles the price. Above 36", fridges immediately jump into the $7-10 range.

Is it simply "because they can", or is there some manufacturing/engineering factor that doesn't scale into larger sizes?

(background: We're currently planning a full-depth 36" for the capacity, but would like to consider a 42" CD.)

Comments (5)

• xedos
    10 years ago

I think you should define "affordable" for this discussion.

There is no one single factor that makes up the difference. It's a combination of many. i.e. more insulation, more sheet metal, more lights, more size and weight, are the easy ones to spot.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

A "Large Part of the Price", (if you will), is the "Soak the Rich Marketing Schemes", used by most manufacturers, nowadays,~~~but "Pioneered" by Wolf/SZ.

In 2006, I bought a 48" built in and paneled Jenn-air for $4588. According to a "Knowledgible Source", (Antss who is no longer here), the list price of the Jenn-Air was about $6000~~~~~but this was before price fixing was initiated by most manufactures~~~~alto SZ's were price fixed back then.

Now look ahead to 2014, Whirlpool who now ownes JA, also price fixes the Jenn-airs. That same Fridge I have, (alto without many of the nice features mine has), will now set you back over $8000.

So It's is indeed "Sad" for you folks that want larger fridges now~~~~I did post a warning about 7 years ago or so, that other manufacturers would follow SZ's prices and marketing "Strategies"~~~~that's why I have never been & never will be a Wolf/SZ "afficianado" (fan club member)!

I feel folks nowadays should be able to find reasonable prices and "bargains" as I did, back in 2006~~~but I'm afraid those days are gone forever. Why?????
    Because we have the "Best Politicians Money Can Buy"!!!!
    Price fixing was outlawed, The marketing "Gurus" just came up with a new name for it, paid off the politicians, and now you folks are paying for it!!!

I hope you are able to find a "Deal" on something, We SURE do like the size of our fridge!!!

Gimmie a break, double the price for six more inches, that's gotta be the most "EXPENSIVE Half Foot", in the World today~~~~~~~Ya thinks?????
    Gary

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The primary reason 42" and 48" fridges are much more expensive is economies of scale.

Commercial 48" fridges are much less expensive. These have greater economies of scale.

They are loud , use a lot of energy, don't have meat lockers or crispers. And are not true counter depth.

They are simply designed to maintain temp after repeatedly opening and closing the door. As you would in a successful restaurant or market.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Another reason is at 42" and 48" there are no "regular" depth options - and hence, less competition.

I disagree with Gary's "soak the rich" notion though. SZ doesn't have that at all. They have been higher priced form their inception, simply because it costs more to deliver a higher quality product in fewer numbers. Could they make cheap fridges to sell at the Depot for $999 every third Weekend ???

Probably, but I doubt they'd make any money doing it - it's a whole different mentality. Same for Hotpoint, they could design a 48" built in and clad it in Stainless steel and put a digital controller and LED lights inside along with a water filter; charge 8 grand and soak the 1% till they floated away. They project would be close to stillborn even if they came up with a prestigious new name and Madison Ave.'s finest pitch.

The world needs lots of different players. Gary your beloved fridge wouldn't have even gotten off the ground had it not been for the market SubZero / GE Monogram created eons ago in the built in segment. Jenn Air didn't even have fridges for a long time , and when they did they the first efforts were tarted up regular models.

They dreamed up that new lineup to specifically compete with SZ. They are doing OK, but they really haven't gained much market share, and have dumbed down the product recently in my opinion.

The only other real player to challenge SZ in this market is BSH's newish offerings (Freedom, Gaggenau) along with the Miele cousin. Everyone else is a bit player.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Not many inexpensive options for 48"w, except maybe two tall bottom-freezer 24" units next to each other - but for 60" there are several all-refrigerator/all-freezer standalone units designed to be placed together, sometimes with an optional trimpiece surrounding both pieces. These are much less expensive than built-in refrigerators or freezers.

These are from Electrolux, with similar and less expensive variants sold under the Frigidaire and Kenmore brands: