Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol500

Bluestar oven door to hot, whats your experience?

carol500
12 years ago

I'm planning on ordering a 36" Bluestar (the new edition V1) soon and was hoping that any BS owners could let me know your experience with the oven doors getting to warm/hot? I have spoken with a BS rep recently and of course he told me that the doors are approved and are to code, and they do not get hot. Obviously, he's going to say that. So if any of you BS owners have the latest version (V1) please let me know how you feel about the heat or any other problems on the BS that your not happy about! By the way, the reason I'm concerned about this is because I read some posts from an earlier time and several people mentioned it, so does this problem still exist on the new version?

Comments (46)

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Hi Carol,

First, you really should define for yourself what "too hot" means.

I have a Bluestar V1 and I don't find the oven doors to be a problem at all, but maybe my standards are just different. I measured my oven doors to be about 120 - 140 degrees for the most part (@350 degrees inside), with the one exception being right by the bottom hinge where it can be 150 to 160.

As I have said elsewhere on GW, I have three kids, youngest is almost 4 and a dog and so far no one has lit themselves on fire. No one has even said to me "Gee, Dad, that door is hot!" Maybe that's because people would expect and oven door to be... hot? I don't classify it as hot, I would say it gets warm.

So, does the door get warm? Yup. Is it a problem? Not for me.

I love the ovens, btw. They hold heat extremely well and my ovens are very accurate on temperature.

-Stooxie

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Trevor from Eurostoves measured a 2010 Bluestar VI with a painted door. The average Temp was 120 degrees and the hottest section was 175 degrees after one hour with the oven set at 350 degrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Data

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Wow, that was quick. Hey deeageaux, should she buy a Capital Culinarian instead? Why don't you just say it. I mean, you've got a Bluestar, right?

That measurement of "175" is at his position "24" which is right IN the gap. My findings (I've actually GOT a Bluestar) is that the surrounding temperatures just aren't a problem.

Your average TOASTER oven gets WAY hotter around it's edges, but no one seems to complain about that.

Carol, to answer the rest of your questions, do a search on Bluestar and you'll find a couple recent reviews from myself and a couple others. We are all extremely happy with our ranges. The V1 revision is excellent.

-Stooxie

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Hey deeageaux, should she buy a Capital Culinarian instead? Why don't you just say it. I mean, you've got a Bluestar, right?

I answered a specific question with a specific answer.

I don't have a new range yet nor did I claim to.

If you feel 175 is acceptable then BS is in consideration if not you look elsewhere.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Has anyone here actually received a significant burn from an oven door? I mean, anything that required medical attention, or was more than a ''ooo, that's kinda hot, guess I won't lay my bare [body part] on it again''? There's lots of stuff in my kitchen that is over 120F - pots, handles, lids, toasters, hot water from the tap, coffee in my mug, light bulbs - and I haven't been seared yet.

• carol500
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. For me, it's hard to know what 150 or 175 degrees feels like in that kind of situation. So I'm trying to imagine what it would feel like standing at the stove stirring (let's say a risotto) and I also have some Italian chicken cooking in the oven below and it's set at 350 to 400 degrees. Is it uncomfortable to stand there for an extended amount of time? I have an old (25 years) Magic Chef wall oven that puts out some noticeable heat but I don't have to stand in front of it for long periods at a time, and I've never had a range before, so I think I'm just preparing my self for one of the cons of having a range.

Stooxie: I hear what your saying that the bottom line (regardless of the numbers) is that it's not really an issue for you and that you love your Bluestar! That's really all I wanted, was to hear from some Bluestar owners who have actually experienced daily cooking and what they've experienced.

deeageaux: Thanks for the link, the Capitol does seem to beat everyone else with those numbers. I have yet to see a Capitol in person as there are no dealers selling them in my area. I will, most likely, take a drive to Los Angeles, or San Diego to see one before my decision is made though. Compared to the other ranges out there, I feel I can't go wrong with either one.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Just for the sake of clarity, deeageaux you did not just provide a specific answer. What you provided was information posted on a reseller's website who only sells the CC. Those who saw all his Bluestar info know how many stats magically changed once he stopped selling that product.

I have no horse in the race (unlike others), but I will stand up for transparency.

Thanks!
    -Stooxie

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Just for the sake of clarity, deeageaux you did not just provide a specific answer. What you provided was information posted on a reseller's website who only sells the CC. Those who saw all his Bluestar info know how many stats magically changed once he stopped selling that product.
    I have no horse in the race (unlike others), but I will stand up for transparency.

I provided just that. I don't have a horse in this race. At least not yet. I am getting one of these two ranges.

It is the best information out there. And it is not just a reseller who only sells the CC. He was THE Bluestar dealer,the top Bluestar dealer until about a year ago, the one dealer who popularized the BS here on GW.

The stats did not change nor did they change magically. They changed relatively. Relative to the CC. Things change when there a new and better product is introduced to the market. If you have better data taken with better instruments post them.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I find it interesting that stooxie had no complaints about the validy ot "Trevor's Post" whilst Trevor was "Hawking the Blue Star Ranges".

I suppose that is due to the fact that stooxie did not "Officially join" GW till Nov of 2010, and I "Believe" that was after Trevor Switched to Capital.

Perhaps stooxie should take the time to look at some of Trevor's older posts??? 2nd thought, "Not such a good idea as stooxie would probably slobber all over his keyboard.

Just search "Blue Star Oven Door", OP, you will see all the "Unedited" Blue Star posts there, and as somebody else mentioned, ----Still a little early to say Blue Star fixed all its Oven Door Problems----Check the Blue Star Operator's Manual for the new Blue Star VI---does it say to
    "Lube the Oven door"?

I know of no other oven that requires this and in fact in my total life of 68 years now, I have never, nor do I know anybody that has had to lube their oven door!

Gary

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Jeez, why this antipathy to Capital? Or Trevor? He has been a go-to resource on this board for a hell of a lot longer than we have seen the likes of you, Stoox, Are you a shill for Bluestar? Are you a dealer? What is up with you?

As Deeageaux says, if you have the numbers and they differ with what Trevor has published, put them out there. They sell fluke meters on ebay. But accusing Trevor of doctoring numbers without showing your cards is just suspiciously weird. I ask again. Do you have a financial stake in Bluestar that you are not revealing or is this just a case of confirmation bias gone wild?

And for the original poster, my oven door gets hot when I run the oven all day, but I do not ever touch the door. The reason for this is the oven door has a handle, which happens to be the only reasonable thing to use when you are touching the door. I never let little ones anywhere around the front of the stove when it is operating, period. They all know, have been taught from birth, to stay away from the stove because it is HOT. It seems to work.

We have a 36" RCS model with my Bluestar Hotrod burner mod (converts supernova to ultranova config). We are incredibly happy with the performance of everything on the range. The oven is remarkably even baking, the top can handle about anything from wokking snow peas to roasting New Mexico chiles (a few at a time) and the all cast iron top is pure badass.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

I love it! I have the honor of being called a shill because I stand up for the "other" brand!

No, you see, I just happen to be one of the few that OWNS one of these damn things, unlike 95% of everyone who just parrots the "data."

Dodge, very personal attacks, I'm frankly amazed. Here I am pointing out some information, next thing I know I'm slobbering on my keyboard. I DID read the older posts. Hey, guess what? My registration date doesn't indicate when I actually started reading posts as a guest. (Dang it! Those pesky facts!)

Mojavean, I'm a little surprised at the direct attack, but that's cool, if that's the type of person you are. If you recall, I DID post my numbers but then Trevor decided my IR Fluke just wasn't accurate enough compared to his $500 thermocouple. You can't argue with him, he ALWAYS finds a way to support his claim, like any good statistician working with "data."

Of course, it's also hilarious that I have two people saying I should post my numbers if I'm so smart. Yet I did, just scroll up. It just perfectly illustrates the point. Apparently Garden Web seniority and conformity is the measure of "trust" around here!

Let me lay this little gem on you guys: I BOUGHT MY BLUESTAR OFF TREVOR! I was probably his last BS sale. I was front and center of that little debacle. I also heard the OTHER side of the story from Signature Marketing and Bluestar themselves.

Well, sorry, Carol this thread had degraded and I've been in the middle of it.

Wow. Scathing attacks from the Trevor Army! LOL!

-Stooxie

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

LOL a Bluestar owner making strident post claims he does not have a horse in the race? Ad hominem attacks on the "Trevor Army?"

I DID post my numbers but then Trevor decided my IR Fluke just wasn't accurate enough compared to his $500 thermocouple. You can't argue with him, he ALWAYS finds a way to support his claim, like any good statistician working with "data."

Then you should post your data in this thread and let people judge for themselves. If you let Trevor be the final judge of your test validity that is on you.

Trevor has as much right as anyone else to defend his post. Maybe he always finds a way to support his claim because he does not make false claims and he knows what he is talking about.

It would be great if we had an independent consumer or better yet culinary organization do this hard fact testing of highend appliances. But we don't. So anyone who post is an owner of the range in some way trying to self justify his purchase or a dealer that is in some way selling his product. That goes for all ownwers and all dealers and not an attack on anyone in particular.

Put out the info and let Carol and every potential buyer judge for themselves.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Sigh... I don't have a horse in the race because I am not SELLING anything. See the difference?

I did post my numbers in Trevor's thread. I never said he doesn't have the right to post. He does, however, have a lot more time, seeing as it's his livelihood, to argue. Simple war of attrition.

Logic is absent here. Just lots of confident suppositions.

Best of luck to you.

-Stooxie

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Stooxie, I didn't call you a shill, I asked if you were one. I will take you at your word that you aren't and chalk it up to a raging case of confirmation bias.

I would just point out that all deeageaux did was mention a spread of values and paste a link to a website, and as a reward got the high and right treatment from you. YOU started it, not dee and not me.

And since there isn't a pendejo's breadth of difference between what you mention in your post and what deeageaux simply referred to, I fail to see what the big deal is. You got a high of 160 at the crease. Trevor got 175 with a contact probe. That is certainly within the realm of reason for instrument type variance. There is NOTHING to go high and right over or accuse somebody else of faking data without any proof whatsoever.

So I say again, repeat Trevor's tests on your machine if you are so sure he's wrong. Report your findings. No need for personal attacks or resentments, just results. Use your IR meter and document how you did the tests. I bet you will be reporting numbers close to what Trevor got, and if not, then we get to figure out why, which is the fun of science.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Sigh... I don't have a horse in the race because I am not SELLING anything. See the difference?

Different race but you still have a horse in a BS/CC race.

No one likes to feel like an idiot and feel like they made the wrong decision when making a $4k plus purchase.

When "WE" make a major purchase after reviewing all available facts "WE" then have a bias towards that product.

It is only natural.

That is why their are Chevy/Ford people and Mercedes/Lexus people. And Bluestar/Wolf/Culinarian etc people.

Brand loyalty does not mean you are an idiot or shrill or any other pejorative term.

And I ditto these sentiments from mojavean

And since there isn't a pendejo's breadth of difference between what you mention in your post and what deeageaux simply referred to, I fail to see what the big deal is. You got a high of 160 at the crease. Trevor got 175 with a contact probe. That is certainly within the realm of reason for instrument type variance. There is NOTHING to go high and right over or accuse somebody else of faking data without any proof whatsoever.

So I say again, repeat Trevor's tests on your machine if you are so sure he's wrong. Report your findings. No need for personal attacks or resentments, just results. Use your IR meter and document how you did the tests. I bet you will be reporting numbers close to what Trevor got, and if not, then we get to figure out why, which is the fun of science.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

"Perhaps stooxie should take the time to look at some of Trevor's older posts??? 2nd thought, "Not such a good idea as stooxie would probably slobber all over his keyboard"

Much of the success that Blue Star has enjoyed, (At least on GW) was due to Trevor. Some due to the fact that He is a good Salesman, but even more so in that He is a very savvy business owner---Now Why do I say that???

To Me, (Having run a Scientific Business for 16 years and being a Field Service Engineer for 26 years before that), Like Me, Trevor knows that the Post Sales Support is everybit as important as "The Sale" Itself---Good Post Sales tactics generate more sales, and when Blue Star REALLY Fell Down on this (Recall the fiasco when folks could no longer get hold of Matt at Blue Star, or for that matter, anybody in customer support at Blue Star?)
    It was Trevor who came to the rescue, not only with advice but sending parts!! So while we are not part of "Trevor's Army", He has certainly earned our respect!

Compare him to ANY of the other Salemen that frequent this site, I have yet to see one send a part, or even offer to obtain info for a poster here, via the factory(Example Miele Oven Software).

This was not your first post attacking Trevor's validity of his post, and alto your first one angered me, I "let it slide" your #2 was "Over the limit" for me.

This was not a "Personal attack" on you, I said you would slobber on your keyboard when you read Trevor's earlier posts when He was touting Blue Star, and trying to "minimize" or take care BS problems that were showing up, So I figgered You would enjoy reading those post---I may have "Slightly Overstated" the enjoyment!

All of us are happy that your Blue Star is treating you well, Ditto for Mojavean, even though his "Clobbered the simmer on my Elux Induction Unit (LOL).

Our whole purpose here, like you, is to help our readers make the best decision, and not to make any "REAL SCREWUP's
    like I did on the Caldera Cooktop!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!

Gary

• marcolo
    12 years ago

There was a poster here about a year or so ago who reported getting second-degree burns from touching the BlueStar oven exterior. There were lots of threads about hot oven doors in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestar Exterior Temp Threads

• trailgirl
    12 years ago

Getting back to the original question...... We had our 36" RNB installed last week. The oven door gets warm, but not enough to get in the way of cooking on top of the range, not nearly warm enough for me to run and get a thermometer and check it. Even during the burnoff we didn't notice any additional heat in the kitchen.

Our oven door works fine and so far I can't find anything in the User Instructions manual that mentions anything about lubing the oven door. We have a V1. So far we LOVE it. Whatever problems Blue Star had in the past, they seem to have addressed them. But, we have only had it a week and haven't completely tested it yet.

The Capital also sounds wonderful. I am sure that there isn't one range that is perfect for everyone. Get what you want. Several stores in our area carry Blue Star, no one seemed to have the new Capital range. We liked being able to see it run in person.

• alexrander
    12 years ago

Hi Carol, my older Bluestar oven door does get hot, particularly near the bottom and especially at higher oven temps for longer times. My neighbor has another high end range (American) and her's gets hotter near the knobs, something I don't have to deal with on the Bluestar.

I also know that Bluestar has been playing with the door insulation and door venting and hinges since I bought my range- so things may change. I do know that a 30K oven burner is going to put out a lot of heat and air must be vented in at the bottom to burn with the gas, just as air at the back top is vented out.

Finally, I've made my own comparisons between brands, it's sort of fun to keep up with it. I've enjoyed everything Stooxie and Trevor have written and I don't think either one has been out of line in these topics, but a great help. Really. Hang in there Stooxie.

• drdannie
    12 years ago

Hi Carol: I responded to an earlier post of yours, but have a little more info now. Fixtures Living in San Diego is having a Bluestar demo this Thursday at 1:00. You can see for yourself how hot the doors get. I, too, have been concerned about that issue from previous posts and figure the only way to really know is to see it in action.

• shorts
    12 years ago

Feedback from another V1 owner - last night I made pizza in the oven - preheated at 500 for an hour, and was able to stand in front of the door while I made some stove top food. Yes, it feels warm when you touch it, but who is going around touching and holding their hand to the door for extended periods of time? I think it's just fine and would tell ANYONE to get this range.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I would imagine that ALL the top quality ranges should not have any problem with the oven door getting too hot.
    Viking, Bluestar, NXR, Bertazonni, Thermador etc.

I know on our NXR the door just gets "warm" and thats it.

Now on some Whirlpool, or GE or whatever other cheaper made stoves I would say you might have a problem.

• amcook
    12 years ago

Geez, I step away for a while and this is what happens...

I owned a BS cooktop and loved it. I currently own a CC range and love it. I have never owned a BS range with oven so I have no comment on that except to say that my fear of the oven door getting stuck was a major factor in my decision. Keep in mind that I had zero information about the V1 since it wasn't out yet and I *was* able to see a live CC in the factory and was very happy with what I saw. I figured why not avoid the issue all together.

Stooxie, I know you had a bad experience with Trevor and I would never try to deny or dismiss your experience but I think you also need to accept that many other people here have had overwhelmingly good experiences in dealing with Trevor which is why many here will defend him. He earned *my* business when he helped me get warranty support from Blustar when they wouldn't return my calls and this was before I ever bought a thing from him.

My experience with Signature Marketing is probably about as bad as yours appeared to be with Trevor. They refused to ship my hood *and* refused to provide Trevor with any status. I don't care if the if the distribution agreement gets canceled or who's fault it is, committed orders must be filled in a professional fashion. I ended up having to call Signature Marketing and threaten to cancel my order. Interesting that my hood just magically arrived at the distributor later the same day.

Honestly, it shouldn't take a call from a customer to get the distributor to ship what was ordered. Trevor was an authorized dealer when you and I placed our orders and that should be the end of the story. If the agreement is terminated, regardless of the reason, the proper action would be to stop taking new orders, fulfill existing orders, and say farewell. Applying some logic here tells me that Trevor has nothing to gain by impeding this orderly shutdown process. In my case, it was clear that Signature Marketing and/or Bluestar was withholding shipment of my order just to spite Eurostoves.

Now... anyone want to discuss what the best brand in each class of appliances is. :)

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Amcook,

For the record, I didn't have a bad experience with Trevor, per se. His post sale customer service tends to be very good. However, I distinguish that from pre sales activities. Nuff said.

Your last paragraph is exactly what I experienced. We differ on the very last point but it doesn't matter, it's all settled now.

-Stooxie

• djg1
    12 years ago

Just one guy's "investigation":

OK, I believe that ours (36" RNB) is reasonably current, because it came out of the factory less than two weeks ago and just got installed this morning. At the conclusion of the oven burn-off, I did the following uber-scientific highly rigorous investigation of our sample of one: I put my hand flat on the door in a couple of places. It definitely felt warm. Not hot. Not shockingly hot. No need to jerk the hand away after a second. No perceptibly red skin. No blisters. No horrifying smell of burning . . . you know, it was warm. I did not do the second test that occurred to me, because it seems a little gross, and my wife is around, but I'm pretty sure I could lick the thing without serious discomfort. As I say, I didn't do that test (I'm way fond of this stove, but not, you know, in that way) and it's not something we regard as normal range usage.

Nine year-old twins and a 13 year-old kid too, and if I didn't know better I might guess they were raised by wolves, but I'm not worried.

Jut me, and my own subjective reactions. YMMV as the kids would say, if they spoke.

• carol500
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi djgl! Since you have the newest BS,(I'm so envious), can you tell us what they've told you about the new changes (if any)on the oven doors? Has it's past issues with the hinges freezing the doors shut been resolved? I've heard they are using new hinges now so it won't be an issue anymore. What were you told, do they still recommend oiling them regularly?

P.S. I'm glad you refrained from that last test, I don't think you could explain it in any rational way to the wife or kids! Haha!

• sayde
    12 years ago

Hi djg1,

Since you have a very new Blue Star, can you please tell us --

Does your oven gasket run outside the hinges or inside the hinges?

I understand there is a plan to change the route of the gasket, to make the gasket run between the hinge and the door, but was wondering if this change had been cut it yet.

• djg1
    12 years ago

I was told that a change had been made to the hinges when I asked some time back, but I don't recall the particulars. They have added insulation on the sides above and around the hinges in the oven door itself (lateral to each hinge) -- easy to see if you look at the vents on the sides of the door.

I haven't worked my way all the way through the manual yet, so I don't know what additional information there might be in print. If I learn more, I'll post it. So far, no issues at all -- everything seems solid and smooth -- but we're still on day one.

One meal down, thousands (I hope) to go.

• drdannie
    12 years ago

I attended a BlueStar demo here in San Diego last week and in my opinion, the oven doors of the BlueStar didn't get any hotter than my old Dacor wall oven doors. The floor model that was used for the demo was an older one - not the V1 and we had that range going for well over two hours. I was very impressed with the burners - from barely a simmer for a sauce, to medium heat for a great shrimp saute, to high heat which boiled water for the pasta in no time. The oven produced equally good results from puff pastries to chocolate chip cookies. I'm in the process of finalizing my color choice and will be ordering my 60" RNB soon.

• djg1
    12 years ago

abd1 I agree that you should not have those problems. The only suggestion I have is that you try contacting BlueStar again, basically for two reasons. First, it seems that their customer service may have gone through a rough patch (I'm basing this on the posts of others, not my own experience) that seems to have been cleared up in the past year or so. I found BS responsive to my questions when I was shopping and others have reported much better service in recent history. Second, they seem to have addressed door problems that were affecting some -- but by no means all -- earlier RNB owners, both wrt to the hinges and wrt venting & insulation of the door. I've no idea of the incidence of the door problems (I know -- personal connections, not just virtual -- 2 RNB range owners of about 4 years who've had no significant problems with their ranges), but plainly you're not the only person to post about them. As I posted above (but now into the 2d month of use), the door to my 2011 RNB does not get unusually hot -- warm, sure, but no more than competing products, and not nearly hot enough to be a shock on incidental contact, and in no way hot enough to burn anybody -- not even warm enough to be a bother, or especially noticeable, if I'm using the burners on the top while something's in the oven. Not a problem with the burn-off initially, or with subsequent use of the oven for baking, broiling, or 3-hour brisket cooking.

Not really sure which rivets you might be referring to.

It's your own call, of course, when to move on. Nobody has perfect quality control and every manufacturer of any significant number of products will, eventually, release a lemon into the wild. I don't know if that's your issue, but it might be that some of your most significant concerns could be cleared up with one more go-round. As much of a pain as that seems, it's probably less work (and less money) to try than it would be to ditch the unit and acquire a replacement. Good luck, whichever way you go.

• D Ahn
    12 years ago

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but Stooxie's claims of safety on other threads have prompted me to look up whether actual measurements were posted.

Here are scald temperatures for water from the CPSC (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5098.html): "Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water..."

Water covers more surface area than a flat surface like an oven door, but I still wouldn't call 160-175 at the hinge "safe." "No one has burned themselves on my oven door YET" (since no one knows the future) is NOT the same thing as "no one can EVER burn themselves."

I will admit that "kitchen safety" is an oxymoron because kitchens are full of dangers: knives, hot stoves, pots full of boiling liquids, carbon monoxide and noxious fumes, etc. But why add one more potential source of injury? But that's just me; a low probability of injury may be good enough for some, especially the emotionally invested.

David

P.S. Stooxie claims not to have a horse in this race, but the proof is in the pudding... or in the wild, unbridled passion in his rants against CC owners. I'd hate to see what happens when Stooxie DOES have a horse in a race!

• chadw01
    10 years ago

Hi all,

Is this still an issue to this day?

Looking to purchase this 30" RCS from Costco Canada:

http://www.costco.ca/BlueStar%E2%84%A2-Professional-30-in.-4-burner-Natural-Gas-Range.product.10366602.html

But will hold off and look elsewhere if their quality control has not improved.

Thanks,
    Chad

• Brookes Merritt
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ON HOT DOOR ISSUE:

This is a great product with an unfortunate, and very real, design flaw - through all of the models. The hot door issue is real, and it is a risk you should be aware of before purchasing. For singles, adults without kids, or families with grown kids - the unit would do nicely.

If you have young children, toddlers or infants - I don't see how you can buy a BlueStar stove in good conscience - despite them being beautiful cooking units. I just returned from an appliance showroom where we ran the BlueStar (two models, RPB & RNB) at 500F for 30 minutes.

The door was warm to the touch.
    The knobs were hot - too hot for comfort.
    The kickplate (louvered) and the driptray edge were straight up scalding. Had I kept my hand on the kickplate or drip tray for more than a half-second, I would have been badly burned.

The price of these units is immaterial to this discussion. These ranges get unsafely hot for use in a family home.
    Frankly I am surprised these have passed the appropriate tests to be sold on the Canadian market.

• alexrander
    7 years ago

You just made your first 2 comments here to run down a product that you've never owned, and went over to Chowhound and did the same. Your very first post. Why join up all over the internet to complain about something you don't even own?. You should move on and buy something else. There's an old saying : "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

• Brookes Merritt
    7 years ago

My experience pre-empted me owning the product. That's valid, as is my sharing. One needn't spend money and have a poor experience to qualify for comment. There is a long-standing and confused debate online about the hot door issue, that hasn't been answered. I went to see the product, heated it up, and am definitively telling readers that the door is not hot - it's scalding. That's valuable information for consumers that was missing from the discussion.

• alexrander
    7 years ago

And as you acknowledged to me on Chowhound, you tried out a range model that hasn't been made in the last 10 years- the RPB. And that the RNB was likely the same vintage. How does that move the conversation forward when there have been so many changes in the past 10 years? In the past 2 years? So you're going around yelling that the sky is falling based on extinct floor models? Well good for you. You've done your diligent duty.

But it's not valuable information for today's consumers. In fact it just confuses the issue. Thanks again.

• Jakvis
    7 years ago

Hot and too hot are just words without temperature measurements.

The allowed temps by the regulatory agency's are much higher than the general public realizes. The standard ANSI/UL 858 allows for metal knobs and handles to get up to 131F and plastic handles and knobs up to 167F. Flat surfaces like doors and lower panels are allowed 152F. Most products you'll find are well under these temps but still might seem very hot to some people.

• LaToya Baker-Mathews
    6 years ago

I just ordered the basic RCS 36' it's going to take 3-4 weeks before I receive it so I can't say for sure that the heated door issue has been fixed, but I was told by several salespeople as well as a BS expert that the heat issue on the door has been addressed in the newer models. The doors now have double insulation, and you can see that on the double lined vents in the door. I'm really hoping that this is the case as I have a small child a hot oven door--no matter what oven--is a problem. I will update this if it turns out that the issue hasn't been addressed, but I trust what I have been told verbally and don't think I'll need to update this post.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

There is no excessive heat on my Bluestar wall oven doors. Most of the hot door complaints come from many years ago--I wouldn't worry about it.

• Dango
    7 months ago

I purchased a BlueStar electric wall oven this year and the exterior gets so hot that the handles and door cannot be touched without burning after its been on for 30 min at 400 degrees. Water sizzles when sprayed on the door. All of the surrounding cabinets and their handles are almost too hot to touch, and the foods like gummy bears and chocolate in the cabinets melt. this is fore and burn hazard hot.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    7 months ago

Dango -- You should get it serviced because that's not normal. Even when using stone bake at 500 F the handles are cool to the touch and the door is warm but not hot.

• Dango
    7 months ago

We called in for service four months ago because the range and wall oven both had problems out of the box. They serviced both and repaired the range but the oven problem persisted after replacing the cooling fan. BlueStar has decided they want to me to return for a refund or exchange but only if I sign an agreement that if the replacement has the same problem it will not be repaired, replaced, or refunded, and that BS will not be held liable for injury or property damage. upsetting because we wont have a wall oven matching our range now.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    7 months ago

Dango -- That sucks. An alternative would be to find a local service company and have them fix it. It's pretty obvious that the temperature is not calibrated correctly, and it should be an easy fix. Not the ideal solution though.

• Dango
    7 months ago

Thats part of the problem. It’s under warranty so BS has been looking for a local service provider but can’t get anyone to communicate with them, not even the orginal service provider who attempted the repair the first time. the internal temp is calibrated and accurate, it’s the external temp that is the problem. I wish i would have read forums like this prior to purchasing. Product reviews are helpful but the discussion forums sre gold.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    7 months ago

Dango -- There is an over-heating relay behind the display. I had mine replaced, but the symptoms included the oven not shutting off (had to flip the breaker). The local service company fixed it and no issues since--however it was well out of warranty when that happened.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions