Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbroder

Slide-out range hood? Please advise!

azbroder
14 years ago

Hello all hood experts:

I am considering a 36 in slide-out hood (this is for a smallish kitchen in a condo) that will be ducted out through the ceiling. The cooktop is a 36in Miele induction. A slide-out would work really nicely in this small kitchen and I seldom do any massive frying. This being said, I would like kitchen smells not to spread through the entire apartment and keep noise under control.

I found a few slide-out models on the web from Broan, Faber, and BestByBroan, but the only variable speed I found is only 300cfm, and the max I found is 600 cfm.

So a couple of questions:

(1) Is this type of hood, effective? Or the fact that all extend only about 18 in. limits their performance a lot? Anyone has any experience with them? Is 300 cfm way too little?

(2) Should I give up, and just go for a PS1010 from Modern Aire that everyone seems to love? (Extends 23in)

(3) Any other manufacturer to consider? Here is what I found:

1. Broan Elite Silhouette

Variable speed 300 CFM

2. Faber velvet

600 CFM, 4 speeds

3. Faber Jewel

600 CFM, 3 speeds, a different design seems to have a larger capture area.

4, Faber Crystal

500 CFM, 3 speeds

5. BestbyBroan U102I

500 CFM, 4 speeds

Many thanks!

Comments (4)

• antss
    14 years ago

We've used them in the past with good results in condo situations.

Miele and Gaggenau both make these type hoods also.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I have one now and like it--I'll be getting another. We're probably getting the GE Monogram model, partly because I haven't been able to see the others in person. It looks nice and I like the button location. It can be mounted chimney style or undercabinet.

I currently have mine over induction and it manages to suck up all the steam from a big pot boiling on the front so I assume it's good enough coverage for my cooking style (we're also getting the Miele induction). I also assume it has less power than the GE Monogram since it's a vintage Kenmore.

The Gaggenau is pretty spiffy but just a wee bit ridiculously expensive for my frugal nature. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: ge mono slideout

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Newbury Kitchens 617 247-1234 has imported from Italy a Rex Electrolux slide-out far more discrete / invisible than the ones you have seen above. They may get you or another GW'er in to see it in operation on a job site if you move fast. The one in the showroom is not wired. I always think hearing the blower in operation is better than buying "sight unseen' or noise unheard.

When pushed back into the dormant position, its front angles up into the cabinet. When slid out to capture smoke it angles down slightly so it could be positioned as low as a sneeze guard -- between your eyes and your hands. Many upper cabinets are installed 18" above the counter so this design makes sense to me. If you are tall, it will naturally end up below your eyes anyway whether it's installed low or not.

The others you mentioned above all slide out horizontally, at eye level or at head level, so you still have the same obstacle to work around as if it were a solid headbanger, although they are less likely to give you a concussion since they move around when you hit them.

The shape of the capture canopy counts for a lot, so this design (angle) makes sense for this reason too.

About sizing. For many people, 300 CFM is plenty, adequate, fine, acceptable, a-ok. For others, they feel they need double that. High end manufacturers, such as those antss referred to, make some vents that pull as much as 550 and 600 CFM but not many models that pull more than that. Some people want quadruple that, and American and Canadian vent manufacturers sell them what they want. Feel free to say no to having more CFM, and feel free to say yes to having more. A lot depends on your duct size.

How much make-up air are you able to provide? The more air is sucked out of the house, the more "make up" is needed. Air is not compressible (unless under a lot of pressure) so you need to replace every cubic inch you send out of the house. Make-up air (MUA) could be provided by opening up a window. If your house is well built and well sealed, you may be limited by the MUA factor and not by your duct size. In your climate, is it an option to open a window in wintertime? If you have a full house air exchanger like an ERV or HRV, you may have enough MUA without opening a window.

Your duct size. How big is the diameter of your round duct, or what dimensions is your rectangular duct? E.g. if round: 5", 6", 7", 8"? If rectangular; 3" by 10", 3.5" by 14"?

HTH
    -David

Here is a link that might be useful: See sweeby's remark Feb 14 on MUA, in this range hood duct size question

• azbroder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all! As usual this forum is an incredible mine of knowledge. I clearly need to do some more homework and get back with some more answers.

One thing I know already -- we live in California so opening windows is never an issue. I am not sure there is even a code for make-up-air. I will look into the ducting question -- AFAIK the ducting goes into some sort of a plenum together with the venting from the bathrooms and then outside. My architect is guessing 30' with 3 - 90 deg. turns, although they might be able to get away with 2 - 90 deg. plus 1 or 2 - 45 deg. I probably won't know until they start the remodel. I assume that I have a choice of what ducting I can put in size-wise but I will check.

Thanks again for all the wisdom! -- CF

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource