Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kucharsk

Wolf oven owners WITHOUT blue porcelain flakes?

kucharsk
15 years ago

I've read several of the horror stories here about owners who've had their blue porcelain interior flake off after a self-clean cycle, but I assume there most be a fair number of "E" and "L" owners here who have NOT had such problems.

Since people don't usually post to say "mine works GREAT" I'm explicitly asking for that.

The Wolf seems to be one of the better reviewed ovens here, so I can't believe it's happening to everyone.

(Or do I need to buy the Miele instead?)

Comments (12)

• User
    15 years ago

Mine is not failing going on 4 years. When we first installed it there was a few bits and blue dust after I ran the cleaning cycle. They came from the crease or joint where the side and top panels meet. It was a one time affair.

The Miele is a fantastic oven also.

• kucharsk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm somewhat concerned about the Mieles simply because of the wide variety of complaints about uneven heating with them, as in the SmartMoney review.

Here is a link that might be useful: SmartMoney Wall Oven Review

• User
    15 years ago

kucharsk- I wouldn't put too much stock in that review. Are you going to be using C. Cora's recipes and habits with these ovens? That review was based on those, Aunt Fannies or even your recipes may fair entirely different with those ovens.

She also talks out both sides of her mouth: The Gaggenu is too complex and sophisticated yet the GE is too simple. They both have basically the same setup 2 knobs select the heating profile and the temperature. Also, she thinks the T'dor looks more "professional" Come on they look the same to me save for that nice Rolex looking clock. When's the last time a real professional chef had an analog clock on his/her oven. Many doen't even have a timer. Same arguement might be said for the larger window on the T'dor. Many pro ovens and especially pro ranges don't have ovens period.

She also has ZERO to say about customer service, and I assure you Thermador is bringing up the rear in that group. Did she also mention that the T'dor has a lot of electronic failures out of the box, or the Wolf's flaking prob. you brought up, or that the Miele sometimes gets programed incorectly so it doesn't heat well if you have it set for the wrong voltage electricity?

You really can't go wrong with either the Wolf or Miele. The Gaggenau is top notch too but is a bit of an odd bird for most people. BTW , I personally have 3 of the 5 ovens in that article, and have specified all at some point in the last 18 mo.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I have Wolf DO and no flaking.

• sakismom
    15 years ago

I have my Wolf Double ovens since November 2005 and never had a flaking problem and I clean them all the time.

While we are talking about cleaning ovens I just found a great product to clean oven racks Carbona Oven and Grill rack Cleaner its a little pricey but boy it did the job they look brand new

• lamermaid
    15 years ago

Sounds good. Anything to help clean them is worth a try in my book. Where did you purchase the cleaner from? Thanks for the tip!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Dawn Power Dissolver is another great product for cleaning the racks.

• kucharsk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I've got to confess to being a little surprised that out of all the Wolf oven owners who must be here only two responded to say they didn't have problems.

As far as the Miele, if you read the review it wasn't some special recipe but rather an ordinary task - "After preparing our Cornish game hens and potatoes, we slide identical trays into each oven, keeping setting (convection roast), temperature (350 degrees) and duration (45 minutes) constant."

There have been other complaints on GW about uneven heating in Mieles, which is why I was concerned in the first place before ever reading the reviews.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

Have a 30" range in our apartment for a year and no problem. But you are asking about "ovens only" We have a new "E" sitting in our foyer but since the island isn't finished - not sure when it will be installed.

• shop1z_comcast_net
    14 years ago

I have a 3 week old Wolf L series double oven. A pie dripped on the bottom this weekend, I ran self-clean, and now there is no longer blue porcelain in the spill area. The area is brown and some blue flakes came off when I wiped the oven after self-cleaning. SO DISAPPOINTING!! I'm going to call Wolf and see what they have to say.

What has Wolf's response been to others with this issue?

• User
    14 years ago

My guess is they are gonna want to see that one. Prob send out a tech for an inspection. What kind of pie was it?

• jsorger_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have flaking - 3 years in. I've only used self cleaning twice.

The Wolf customer service reps were very nice and acknowledge the problem in 10-15% of ovens "due to normal expansion and contractions with heating and cooling". Offered to replace my oven cavity ($600) for free, but I will have to pay for labor (which is $700!). Spent $9k on this oven and am a bit upset. They also offered a "cosmetic allowance" (i.e. cash payment) which is very nice, but to someone who takes meticulous care of things, still upsetting. If you design an oven, whose primary purpose is heating and cooling, one would think this should not happen.