Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wawcooks

Decisions are not easy

wawCooks
10 years ago

We found an appliance sales rep that doesn't make me want to wash the slime off my arm...I think. He seems to genuinely care that the info he gives is helpful (rather than rattle off manufacturers prices without knowing much else).

Before I went to see him, based on my research on this forum I thought I wanted 1) Miele Dimension DW - Didn't need all the cycles of the Diamond; 2) Wolf Combi Steam oven; 3) Undecided on range; 4) undecided on frig but just having a hard time allowing more than $12K for all appliances so was going to look for midrange frig and range. We will use the combi steam multi times a day. We are a family of three (DD is 4). We cook at home alot and invest in fresh ingredients but still hard to justify a really expensive frig...

After meeting this 2nd appliance sales rep (first was not helpful, even given 2 chances 3 months apart), we are hampered by the fact that he chooses not to carry Miele...using the argument that he doesn't see the need to carry everything in his shop, also he chooses what he wants to carry and likes the Wolf combi-steam better than the Miele and doesn't want to take business away from Wolf, his primary supplier. He noted he is primarily a SZ/Wolf shop but also has BSH and other appliances he likes as well and carries those too.

1) After hearing his comparison of Thermador to Bluestar range, we prefer the Thermador range (30" slide in or stovetop...unsure on that point at the moment...comments below on that). Liked the way the star shaped SEALED burners more evenly heat than a stacked burner would and the fact that they are sealed makes them less prone to clogging like the Blue Star can (he has a picture of prior customer's bluestar that was 1/2 clogged from spills). Like the extra low simmer of the Thermador (Clicking doesn't bother us). Porcelean cooktop looks like a dream to keep clean.
2) Thermador promotion gives us Star-Sapphire DW for free. Seems to be close enough to what we would get with the Miele dimension...from what I have read on this forum.
3) Know that the Miele combo-steam is being released this month but it is significantly smaller on the inside than the Wolf so don't mind going with Wolf. Would you stack a Thermador wall oven below a Wolf combo-steam? I know that matching appliances isn't necessary or even preferred by many these days, but also think that if they are stacked units they should be same manufacturer? Thoughts? Any current feedback comparing Thermador combo-steam to Wolf? I did search and found a tiny bit of feedback but not much. Would save lots of money to go with Thermador combo-steam.
4) Refrigerators: Prefer panel ready and french door (space issue) and realize that only Kitchenaid is under 3K. Know it isn't counter depth...that may still work as we may be able to build cabinet beside it to make it look like they fit together (moving frig to niche across from where it currently is which will allow some flexibility). Know it is a single compressor. Any feedback on reliability and how well it keeps food from freezing in the fridge when you pack it with food? (we have had issues with fresh food freezing if too packed and food close to the air channels from the freezer.) Also fine with leaving without panels (SS) but just don't like SS.

Thanks for any feedback you can share.

Comments (2)