Houzz Logo Print
mominthedubc

What would you choose?

mominthedubc
15 years ago

Okay, help me out here.

DW... KA or Miele?

Dbl oven... Monogram or Electrolux?

CD Refridgerator w/ice and water... Profile, Monogram or KA?

Thank you

Comments (62)

• davewg
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We just went through this same decision process.

Oven I would say Monogram. We chose the ZET2.

The Electrolux while nice lost some space due to the nature of the convection fan, and I know that there have been flaking issues with the blue interior of other brands of oven with the same finish. Not to say that this would happen with the Electrolux, but made me nervous about it.

I also liked the additional element wattage on the Monogram and the three glide racks.

Fridge I would say KA or Monogram (we chose the Monogram because the handle matched the oven - which was important to my wife). We had a KA in our last house that we were very happy with and were sorry to leave behind (our buyers made it a condition of the purchase). I've seen to many not so nice things written about the GE Profiles here, and the Monogram is basically the same thing. I'm hoping if we have issues the Monogram service network will save us.

DW - I would say Miele. Not that I have anything against KA since I was looking at them too, but it comes down to US versus Euro style diswashers. We chose a Bosch for its effieceny rating and because it had no heating element on the bottom (no chance of melting plastic) and the noise saved from no food grinder.

I didn't look to hard at Miele partly because there were to many darn model lines and I didn't have the energy with the 1000 other decisions to weed through them all. I admit its sort of a dumb reason not to consider an appliance, but I liked the Bosch, so why kill myself.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Davewg...I guess my next thread should ask Miele or Bosch for DW? I had thought I would always go with a Bosch but the salespeople have steered me to the Miele. I am so confused! Thanks for all of your suggestions, it has helped!

Berryberry...Thanks for you advice. I completely agree. People can only recommend things that they know and I am weighing all the variables. I am hoping to get feedback from people who have these partcular brands or chose one over another and maybe will tell me something I don't know.

Oskiebabu...Yes, it seems like problems are with the external ice and water. Unfortunately, I have had a fridge with external dispenser and (knock on wood) haven't had one problem. I am used to it and like it so that's why we are getting another one. I just want to find the best or most reliabile, I don't care what brand it is, doesn't have to be a KA or GE, guess that's just what I have narrowed it down to.

Berryberry & Gizmonike... I appreciate the fact that you have experience with KA and Miele, so you really are comparing apples to apples.

I saw the Electrolux Appliances and then started thinking about those for oven and DW...there are just so many options and I unfortunately, look at them all.

Thanks to all of you,I am getting closer, thanks to your honesty and advice. But, keep it coming because I am not there yet!

After visiting the Appliance store this week, I started thinking about Electrolux vs. Monogram in Ovens and Electrolux, Bosch and Miele for DW. Do you see how crazy this is?!

Thanks again.

• davewg
    15 years ago

Too many choices.

One thing we decided before we took on any remodeling was to STOP once we found something we liked and made a decision. There is always something else out there....

As for the DW, one of the things that steered me to the Bosch were its Energy Star efficiency ratings. The top 800 series models are more than twice as efficient as the standard. Granted this may only be in a couple of modes, but as a family we've attempted (and are succeeding) in dropping or Kwh over the last 4 months use of power was very important.

The Bosch seemed to have all the features we needed, and I admit while the appeal of the Miele's third rack was there (if we looked at a Miele similarly priced to the Bosch it would have had this) it still didn't sway me.

We're doing a full panel on ours, so looks wasn't an issue.

We have friends with both Bosch and Miele. Our friends with the Meile (which is at least 3yrs old) do say they don't think its as quiet as it was when new.

I've always considered salespeoples recommendations with a grain of salt. It may have something to do with commission level, promos, etc.

• landp
    15 years ago

All of you guys with European DW: is it not an issue to have to clean the filter yourselves? And what about not having the food grinder? Doesn't that mean you have to put the dishes in cleaner than if it had a grinder? Of course, now that I wrote that, we don't leave chunks of food on our dishes!

Mominthedubc-Read the "Need Help Choosing Double Wall Ovens" thread. I'm not glad that you're overwhelmed, but I am quite happy to see that I'm not a mental case all by myself. My cabinet maker (who's waiting and waiting on these specs) and DH are preparing a padded room for me.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Cleaning the filter has not been difficult or an issue, there's never much there, and we don't rinse our dishes first. (We do scrape.) If anything, the bottom of our Miele is much easier to keep clean than all the American DWs we've had. The waste water dumps into our garbage disposal, so there's our food grinder.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To Davewg: You are a wise man! I have appreciated everything you have written on this thread and others. I wish I could just find something , decide on it and stick with it, like you! I guess I should say my DH wishes that! I have a tendancy to second guess myself. That is why I am depending so much on all of you out there who have been through this or are going through this to help me decide.
    We may also put a wood panel on the DW so looks don't matter to me. All I want is a dishwasher that cleans well (ours now leaves some gritty stuff in the glasses) and is QUIET. That's all I care about. Should be a simple decision but, nooooooooo!

To Landp... This Forum has been helpful for me not just in helping me decide (I think I have decided on the ovens, thanks to this thread) but to find out I am not the only one out there going crazy! "Glad" you are in the same boat. But, what a silly thing to be spending so much time and energy on.
    Also, since we are spending so much money, I want to make the most intelligent and informed decision that I can, so hopefully I won't second guess myself in the end.

Someone, please just make the decisions for me, okay?

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, thanks to you all, I have decided on the Dishwasher and the Oven. Now, I thought I had made my mind up on the KA CD refrigerator, but (I have commented about this on other posts today), the refridge seems pretty deep. I thought CD would mean a couple of inches past the counter since it isn't a Built-in. But the measurement is 9" deeper than the cabinet. Back to square one or can someone tell me how you make the CD work with the 24" cabinets? Thanks again for your help.

• davewg
    15 years ago

Counter depth generally refers to the depth of the body of the refrigerator and doesn't include the doors or handles.

Make sure when looking at fridges that you look at the overall depth not just the depth of the body.

The only way, that I'm aware of, to have a fridge not extend beyond the counter is to use a built in or integrated fride. These are even shallower in depth than a counter depth.

For example, a freestanding SxS Monogram (counter depth) is 23 7/8" deep without the doors, but the overall depth is 30". A built in Monogram fridge has an overall depth of 25 3/4'.

The only way to have a fully flush fridge is to go built in or integrated (Sub-Zero).

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, davewg,

I was looking at the Monogram because it was only 23 7/8 without the door compared to the KA that is 29 1/4". That's quite a difference. I am a bit frustrated since I thought I had finally decided on the KA because I liked the configuration of the shelves and drawers and the fact that the in door ice and water is on the inside of the freezer door, leaving more room for shelves. Now, I haven't looked at the Monogram as closely, but if I remember you have one, right? If so, how do you like it? My sister's built-in has a very narrow shelf on the top drawer in the fridge and she hates that. Does the CD have that as well?

• coloradoad
    15 years ago

Wow, it is so difficult to choose, as my wife and I are finding the same degree of difficulty in choosing. The only choice we think we are sold on is the Asko DW at this point. We are not hearing great things about GE from a cost of repair standpoint so we have moved away from most GE products except we really like their Profile convection/microwave oven because it will handle a 9" x 13" pan, etc. and less noise in the cool down mode. We like the Electrolux induction cooktop and their wall oven as well. But at this point the Miele wall over with the perfect clean surface as our vote at this point. The frig is proving a very diffucult choice as we want CD and bottom freezer, that is cabinet ready as well. We love the Wolf steam counter unit,if we can afford, it does anyone know anything about it? Good luck and great to share ideas here.

• davewg
    15 years ago

We have the Monogram CD on order - not yet installed.

We agonized over the fridge more than almost any other appliance. We wound up going with this one partly because my wife wanted the handles to match the oven (also a Monogram, and partly because we didn't find anything that was earth-shatteringly better (to us).

We looked at KA, Electrolux, Jenn Air and Bosch.

Part of the reason we're not overly concerned with the space is that we have freestanding single fridge AND freezer available as overflow space. We only have these because we had them at our last house. When the folks who bought our last house wanted our kitchen fridge we just used the standalones here because we knew we'd remodel the kitchen eventually. It didn't make sense to buy a new main fridge.

Mominthedubc - that KA at that (case) depth doesn't sound like a CD.

• antss
    15 years ago

Sorry Oskiebabu, Miele does not have a residental dishwasher that costs $3000 +.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Davewg...I agree, the KA doesn't sound like a CD but, all the info and specs say it is. We have an extra fridge in the garage as well and wanted to go with the CD so it WON'T stick out like our standard one does now. We really want a CD fridge and we cannot recess it, so that's why the depth is so important. Someone else told me on GW they had this model and it looks fine. It's a mystery if you look at the measurements.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Aid CD

• weissman
    15 years ago

That is counter depth - the doors and handles will stick out beyond the counters. If you want flush, you need to get a built-in fridge.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Davewg and Weissman...My bad! I had the correct link but somehow wrote down the specs for the standard depth...what a dufus! Anyway, the specs on the real CD is 24 3/4 without door and handle and 30" with. Thanks for your help and patience.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I am hoping to get some comments about this again since I haven't made up my mind (big surprise). Any more recent reviews, comments about the Electrolux? The two things that I keep hearing about these ovens is a temperature problem and the space between the door that may accumulate dust and food. I am going to see a cooking demo with GE Monogram ovens today and will check out the Electrolux again. By the way, if someone how something really wonderful or strong to say about a different appliance than the ones I have listed for the DW, Ovens and fridge, please feel free to share.

• amirm
    15 years ago

"if someone how something really wonderful or strong to say about a different appliance than the ones I have listed for the DW, Ovens and fridge, please feel free to share."

I will put in the two cents on ovens. We are going with Gaggenau. Reason is the left openning door so you don't struggle to get things in and out over the door. Also, we love rotisserie chicken and this unit as a very heavy duty mechanism for that. We currently use, a stand-alone unit and this lets us eliminate that. Miele also has such a mechanism but it is mounted the other way but handles half the weight in each unit which is not as optimal.

We are then pairing this with combi-steam oven so that we are not duplicating functionality with an identical second unit.

For Fridge, we are going with Thermador columns (clones of Bosch/Gagg).

Expensive stuff though so it may not be the best choice for everyone.

DW choice is Miele although we are seeing if we can wait for the new units with auto-open/auto-close to do away with having to open the door to really dry things....

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amirm,

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions.

Went to the GE cooking demo today but they only demonstarted the Advantium which I like but are not going to get.

In response to all those talking about the Electrolux and the space in between the glass, most of the ovens that I looked at today (for this purpose) have that space for venting I suppose. Now, the Dacor and Wolf for example have it on the inside which you could have an even bigger chance of sspilling something directly on it. I don't think it is a big deal.

• Margaret
    15 years ago

I will never buy another KA anything again. I purchased a KA dishwasher 6 years ago. It had two repairs at about $300 a pop and the third time it quit working I chose to replace it with a GE, which I like very much. The installer told me that since KA was purchased by Whirlpool they have really dropped in quality. I was disgusted by the performance of my dishwasher, which was a top of the line Superba. My GE cost less 6 years later than what I paid for the GE in 2002. Buyer beware with anything KA as far as I'm concerned!

• kelbel300
    15 years ago

Mominthedubc - hello! I feel like I've followed you along on all these threads, as we've been agonizing over similar decisions.

I'm to the point where I've come to a bit of a catharsis over all this. In the long run, it won't matter. Almost everything has the chance of being a lemon and if not, it costs about $6G which I don't have. And, I spent about 2 hours cooking at my sister-in-law's this weekend when I realized that not everything had matching handles, etc and I hadn't even noticed. All being stainless seemed to make it match enough.

But for what it's worth, here's where I'm at now:

Monogram oven - like the sliding racks, have had good experience w/them in the past, and since it will be just beneath the Advantium, it will match the best.

GE Profile fridge - not CD, but has grey sides to stick out. DH doesn't want to lose cubic footage dropping down to CD (I agreed), and he misses ice in the door on our FD fridge now. From what I've seen, this is the only FD (a must for me!)fridge w/water and ice in the door. Since it's been his only request for the kitchen, I can't deny it! :)

Dishwasher - Miele. For me, just too many rave reviews on here and in store to ignore.

Cooktop - GE induction

For what it's worth... Salesman told me there is a big difference in quality btn regular Electrolux and Icon line. ??? That, of course, is what they sell...

Good luck!
    Kelly

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Kelly,
    How did you choose the GE induction? What else did you consider?

Thanks,
    Judy

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelbel300 (Kelly), Thanks for your words of encouragement. Like I have said before on GW, it's crazy how I am agonizing over these decisions but, when spending so much money I want to think I have made a good and knowledgeable decision. Thanks to nice people like you on GW, I do feel like I am getting closer to making that decision. But, that being said, as soon as I think I have decided on something, I read something negative! And I am so addicted to GW, I can't stop reading!

I, like you Kelly, have also decided that having all the appliances match isn't as important as getting the RIGHT or best appliances. I do think getting handles to look similar is a good idea though.

Now, just as I thought I had decided on a CD fridge, we are considering a Built-in fridge. My DH has wanted one all along and then we decided not to spend the $ on one so we could put money elsewhere in the remodel. But, when I went to show him the different fridges I was considering, he went back to the Built-ins. I want ice and water and my DH wants the columns and the two don't really go together. So, we will compromise somehow.

I appreciate everyone's input so much, because I think we have all been in the same boat at some time...undecided.

Thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming!

Mary

• kelbel300
    15 years ago

Judy -
    Why GE induction: 1)There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut "winner" on these forums regarding favorite brand, it seems they're all well-liked
    2) The appliance salesman said so far, they've seen no difference in performance, basically how you like the controls, style, etc
    3) I use a 12" skillet frequently and like the large 11" elements. I'm a little concerned that a smaller ring won't heat my pan as evenly.

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

What did you put under it?(re 12 inch clearance)

Thanks,
    Judy

• coloradoad
    15 years ago

For what ever its worth our choices at his point in our remodel are;

DW: Asko but we like the Miele also
    Frig: GE profile CD panel ready
    Wall oven: Miele but Electolux closing fast and much less $
    Mico/convection: GE Advantium 120 but maybe the new 240 (must hold a 9"x13" pay to get our attention)
    Cook top: GE Induction

• baver
    15 years ago

For the CD Refrigerator, you should give Liebherr a good look. Very well made product - truly counter-depth. 24", 30" and a 36" French Door model.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, believe it or not...we've changed our minds re: the fridge and now may go with a built-in instead of CD so if you have a great rec, I'm all ears!

• palomalou
    15 years ago

Hi Mom,
    I think I'm in the minority on this board, but I do NOT like cleaning the filter on our Monogram DW (which, BTW, does not clean). In fact, I can hardly do it, being short, with short arms. DH does it W/O complaint, but I would never get another without the onboard food grinder. I've had six dishwashers over the years.
    Also, I've had KA TOL and it was not nearly in the league of the Kenmore TOL. Who'd have thunk it!
    Pal

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

We are happy with our KA built-in SXS (42" with in-door water/ice dispenser). Freezer isn't huge, but we do have our old fridge in the garage, and had planned it that way.

As for food grinder in the DW, if you scrape your dishes well, you will very rarely need to clean out the filter and it takes less than a minute to do so anyway (no need to rinse the dishes, and in fact, you should NOT rinse with the Miele's, jusr scrape).

• paso
    15 years ago

I have posted several threads as we are also choosing appliances. It used to be easier before all these companies started buying each other out.

l. We already have our DW - Bosch. We had it before and loved it.

2. refig - KA 42" built-in or Thermador built-in 36".

3. ovens - Ka or ?

4. induction - Diva or Viking or GE Monogram

I have done so much research and visiting the local dealer. At some point, you just have to trust your feelings. At least you know you aren't alone!

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paso, "At least you know you aren't alone!". No kidding! This has been one of the most helpful and comforting things about this Forum, knowing I am not the only one stressing about these decisions. I appreciate everyone's input so much. It really is helping me get closer to making the final decision on our appliances.

• paso
    15 years ago

I have been doing lots of research, going to the appliance store and thinking and here is now what I think we will purchase:
    1. frig - Thermador 36: built in french door - Freedom Collection. My husband loves it. I prefer the KA 42" french door.

2. Ovens - looked at everyone...budget aside...KA wins every time. We had a wolf range top and dbl thermador ovens before. I just want ovens that work well.

3. Inductiion - Diva - expensive, but seems to have the most power and has power sharing not power boost. You can use them all at the sma time at 11 rather than 12.

Are we making any mistakes here???

• davewg
    15 years ago

We almost went KA.

Its got less power (wattage) than the Monogram we chose, but it was probably the second choice (about equal with the new Bosch 800s).

For the cooktop, I don't see why I'd spend the extra for the Diva. The power sharing/boost shouldn't really be an issue. On the Monogram, both zones that share a power unit can be used at maximum non-boost level) at the same time. The additional number levels of power probably don't mean much. Its total power output on each zone that is important. Read the manuals and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

• paso
    15 years ago

I think with GE auctioning off the appliance business, I am afraid to buy GE. You are ok as you have your appliance and warranty in place. I guess for induction I will look at bosch and Thermador as well as Diva.

• queenbee589
    15 years ago

Greg: Hubby and I are seriously considering the Therm 27" Masterpiece single wall oven w micro/conv on top, as you have, but w out warming drawer. Are you really enjoying this unit? No problems of any kind? How long've you had?? Know it has a great broil function, but we're more into baking - how does it stack up re baking functions - even temps, pre-heats quickly, etc??

A bit nervous about it, having heard of some $$$ repair issues and poor customer service from Therm., altho' app store says they'll back everything up. Hubby's in love w it.

One other concern. Sales rep at the store says this unit will fit a standard 24" depth cabinet, but I've read here on GW and elsewhere (& measured in-store) that this unit is a bit deeper, so I'm a bit concerned how this is going to fit in my current cabinets without sticking out an inch or so. How did you get around this installing in your cabinets?

• remdlnervs
    15 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the Thermador freedom columns since the time of purchase? I am considering the 24" fridge and the 18" freezer.

I love the look of the built in appliances and will be remodeling my kitchen very soon

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

DW - Miele - I would never switch brands. 3 y.o. and still super
    Ovens - Monogram Zet - very good reviews; few if any complaints
    Fridge - Liebherr - give this one a look. Very, very few complaints.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rococogurl, thanks! What model Miele do you have? Is the cutlery tray a real pain? A neighbor just installed the Miele and is thinking of ordering a basket because she hates the tray.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mom, if you are still looking, I have to tell you that I had a top of the line KA DW that we bought for another house. I was very happy with it. We bought Bosch for this house nad have been very happy with it. I could not see spending twice as much to get a Meile, adn when we decided to make a change to 2 DWs, well, the decision was even easier and I have not regretted it at all. DH did not want to get one with the cutlery tray regardless of brand.

If you do go built-in on the fridge, I love the Thermador Freedom series. I also likethe KA 48" and 42" FD, but the fact that the veggie and meat drawers are lifted up off the floor and all the drawers can be fully opened and with the door at only 90 degrees really makes them easier to use. I doubted the difference, but I do think food stays fresher in this fridge.

I looked at the Electrolux ovens and thought they looked great. Loved the blue interior and sleek design (this weas probably the ICON series), but I diod not get them. I discovered I had cookie sheets that (according to measurements) didn't look like they would fit in them. I'm not going to change my bakeware for new ovens. I expected them to be at least as large if not larger. Check the depth.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Lascatx, great info, thank you. Yes, we are still undecided but should make a decision today as we are going to meet with the cabinet guy and he needs to know our specs! UGH!!!! I don't know what to do. I am not hung up on name brands, so getting the top of the line isn't that important to me. I have really gone back and forth with the DW with the appliance people being all about the Miele. I feel like I should just do it and get it over with! But, I wonder what the real difference is between the KA, Bosch and Miele, sound wise. I really want a QUIET DW that cleans well, that's all. So, how do you feel about the sound level of your DW. What is your model?
    Also, I was just about to post a question about buying a 42" or 48" fridge. Don't know what I will miss most, the extra 6" in cabs or counter or in the fridge. I also want ice and water in door and DH wants built-in so that limits our choices.
    We are going to definitely get the GE Monogram ovens and thinking about the Mono fridge because handles are the same. We LOVE the Thermador columns, but are quite a bit more expensive.

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

mom -- funny you ask that question. Hating the cutlery tray was the one thing I worried about before. I love it because makes the DW hold so much more and I can put stuff like lids and scrubees and the sink mat and such on it as well, also the knives safely, tongs etc. It is the opposite of what I thought. Not fussy and I reach for it in the other dishwasher (in our apartment) which doesn't have it.

No one can tell anyone else what to spend but to me this DW is really worth the extra. I'm dying to replace the old one with another Miele and haven't only because any change at all in a city apartment is a domino effect. So I'm sort of stuck unless we fully reno.

My DW is the Incognito, the equivalent of the current Excella. It has the china and crystal cycle which was a must for me and I got a panel which I'm very happy with -- it disappears. If you don't need china & crystal I'd go for the Optima, which Catmom and others really like (it's also less).

Just a note: If hadn't decided on appliances I wouldn't finalize the final cabinet order. That can lead to problems.

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

One more note. There are just 2 of us so I thought a 36" counter depth bottom freezer fridge would be fine. It is, really. I love it and we have the old fridge in the garage as a backup.

But in hindsight, I could have used the full width of that area and gone for a 48". I love counter depth because I don't lose things in the back and mine (Viking) has a huge crisper all along the bottom that holds a ton. Also lets me see what I have. If I don't see it, usually I don't find it until it's ready for the compost.

So the counter depth has been a terrific fridge for me and it holds a ton. And I don't need more fridge room but I wouldn't mind.

Good thought to get the Mono fridge not only because the handles match but also from a service aspect. And few complaints on that.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

My DW is is a model DWHD64CF. It is a Thermador, which is a Bosch with Thermador name plates and I think they change one cycleor some detail. I got it over the Bosch because I was getting panels andthe Thermador panel ready version was less. It is the next to top of the line and 2 db higher sound rating that the top of the line model (46 vs 44 or something close to that). I have turned it on while talking to people in my kitchen and them had them ask about the red light on the floor because they didn't realize that I just turned the DW on right in front of them. I hear it sometimes, but that is quiet enough for me. It doesn't impact conversation, TV, phone calls, etc.

One of the other factors with the Meile was that it looked like it would not load as well for us. We use a lot of glasses and bowls. What I really wanted was the racking I had in the KA we left behind at the last house, but they had changed it. I simply refuse to buy a DW where they expect me to take out rack pieces and leave them on my counter while the DW runs.

I do think that loading is probably the deciding factor once you get into the top lines. The db ratings I saw were all pretty close between the KA top model adn the upper Bosch and Meile. I was told that you wouldn't notice 2-4 dbs but I would have been paying for more cycles that I wouldn't use. The good thing about a DW is that a standard 24" opening should work for anything -- some fit panels better or need a little different size panel, but the opening should work anytime you want or need to change one out.

On the fridges, yes, I love the Thermadors. They made getting a built-in worthwhile to me and I've never seciond guessed that decision after planning for a couple of years to get a freestanding fridge. I think ours turned out to be a little bit more than the KA, but not that much, and less than the SZ. It seems like folks now are seeing them higher. That can be a deciding factor.

I went through the same size struggle. We made that decision before we decided on the Thermador, and I'm not sure how. All I know for sure is that the wall of cabinets balanced well in the end, so look at how the wall you will put the fridge on is shaping up. If the cabinets are too small to be useful, you know the 6" should go there. If you would add 3" here and another 3" there and are not sure it makes much difference, then I'd probably getthe larger fridge. The price difference is not that great, and you can't go larger later. The size of your family and your cooking style will also be a part of that decision.

As for handles, I don't believe they all have to match. none of mine are exactly the same -- two are bar handles, one has a countoured curve adn the others are behind panels and have my cabinet pulls on them. I wouldn't put strikingly diofferent ones right next to each other without a reason or wanting to draw attention to them, but you may have a choice of handle styles too. I know Thermador had a couple when we bought anad I thing they have 4 styles now -- you can get straight of curved.

I think you will love ewhatever you get. These are not earth shattering decisions -- they only feel that way for a while as you try to make them. Look at the details and see if one makes sense to be the deciding factor -- if not, they'll all be good.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lascatx..."These are not earth shattering decisions -- they only feel that way for a while as you try to make them." Isn't that the truth! I feel like I am making life and death decisions here with the amount of time and effort I have put into picking appliances...it's crazy!
    Just when I thought we were, oh so close to making a decision, my DH and I went to our appliance store to take a last look and spoke with a different saleperson and he turned us onto the Electrolux. OMG, I don't know what to do. He really likes the Electrolux Dbl ovens (says they are close to Miele and Dacor, only less $$$)and DW over the Mono oven and Miele DW. They are both less expensive, so I am thinking maybe it's a good idea. However, the Thermador columns are still around 2k more than the GE Monogram, mostly due to the professional installation cost. So, I just don't know if it's worth the extra $$$. I really would like them because that's one item my DH has loved from the beginning! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• eking
    15 years ago

finally ordered \
    Electrolux double ovens
    Electrolux dishwasher
    Wolf range top
    u line beverage center
    looking at Sharp microwave drawer or ...
    still hung up on Thermador French door built in refrigerator or Bosch, or Kitchen Aid or maybe counter depth to save $$$$ it never ends.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

You are always going to walk into an appliance store and see something different. The appliance folks in these stores are going to say something different. Next year there will be new appliances on the market with upgraded features. This will happen for the rest of your life.

Go back to your orginal picks and buy them.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jerrod6, Did my DH pay you to write that?! LOL. You are so right and that's what I am going to do. I will let you all know tomorrow my final and I mean final decision! Thanks.

• teeski
    15 years ago

I was at the local Appliance Dealer asking about the Thermador 48" built-in. He told me that KA sold the same exact refrigerator for about 1500-2000 less. Does someone know differently?

I scoured these forums looking for comments on Thermador and found positive. Now I'm scouring again looking for comments on Kitchen Aid.

I'm interested in the 48" built in/panel ready SxS with in the door ice and water.

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

So Mom, what did you finally get and how do you like them? I, in January 2009 am going through all the same questions you did including the counterdepth refrig. To top it off KA is coming out with a new CD one soon, but I don't know how soon and want to order cabinets but need the measurements to be right. It is the V series rather than the T series.

There are just too many choices from when I did this 16 years ago, I am going crazy.

Regarding DW's do all the Miele's have the silverware tray on the top? That seems a little wierd and I'm wondering if I'd like them. What is the lowest priced one, the Inspira or Optima? And then there is the Diamante.

Help, please.
    Thanks, to all of you

• sandiei
    15 years ago

All those with European DWs--I was at an appliance store today, with side by side KA and Miele, and a cookie sheet in the KA that doesn't fit in the Miele. Have read lots of fans for Miele here, and want a model that is silent and cleans thoroughly, but I need to put my cookie sheets in the DW! Salesman said the european models held only 80% of what the domestic DWs, and could result in clogs and excess water accumulation if you don't scrape dishes.
    What do you say about this?