Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loafer80_gw

Review my new appliance package

loafer80
11 years ago

We are building new and after tons of researching have come up with the following. Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated. The most unsure item is the hood fan. Any one know what's the difference between a Panasonic Prestige inverter vs a regular inverter?

Freestanding range - BS RCS 36"
HoodFan - Zephyr Venezia or Anzio
Fridge - KitchenAid 36" FD counterdepth proline series KFCP22EXMP
DishWasher - Bosch 800+ SHX9ER55UC
MW - Panasonic prestige inverter 2.2cuft

Laundry - LG WM2250 and 2650 Dryer (maybe this belongs to the laundry forum)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Range : One of the best bang for your buck ranges out there.

Hood: If you don't get at least 24" depth you are really compromising the effectiveness of venting the front burners. I would spend the extra money and get the Venezia.

Dishwasher @ $1750+ most people would recommend a Miele Dimension. Are you getting a really great deal on the Bosch?

MW Inverter technology allows for accurate variable power. For example on a regular microwave with 1000 watts you put 50% power for one minute. It will run at 1000 watts for 3 seconds then turn off for 3 seconds until it reaches one minute.

With inverter technology you have a 1000 watt microwave and you ask for 50% for one minute. It will be on at 500 watts for the entire minute. Bottom line it gives somewhat better cooking results. Makes no difference when reheating really.

Laundry: I would never buy a front load washer without a built-in water-heater. And I don't like LG's history on customer service. Too many complaints when they should issue a recall telling customers to pound sand.

I would get the Samsung WF361BVBEWR and matching dryer instead. It is about $70 more but has a built-in water-heater.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

KitchenAid KFCP22EXMP is my second favorite fridge in this class.

My favorite is GE Cafe Series CFCP1NIZSS. It is made by Samsung which is the top FD fridge according to both JD Power and Consumer Reports. Also has internal water dispenser.

The new GE Café model CYE23TSDSS comes out next month. This one is made by GE in the USA. It has several updates which will make it best in class in terms of specifications including a new insulation which allows for greater interior room. It only comes with an in-door dispenser but also has hot water available on the door.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Just from reading about Bosch and knowing someone who has one I would not spend that much money on that DW. My friend said it doesn't wash any better than her old one of different brand and there have been so many threads about a funny smell, draining problems, having to use special RA etc. Too many to ignore. I honestly think I'd get a GE before a Bosch and I'm very conscious of brand but have used the new GE's in a condo we rented at the beach and it was great. I have a Kitchen Aid that I think is wonderful but it's 15 years old and still like new. It's a Superba Whisper Quiet. I'm not sure they are going to be as great these days but I'd still choose it over Bosch just because of the concerns I've read on here and other places. I realize it gets high marks as well and there are devoted buyers out there.

I have the Panasonic Inverter MW and I like it just fine. I don't really cook in it but it's fine for what we use it for. My husband will make frozen dinners or casseroles in it if I'm not home. It's a little louder fan wise than the older model I had but that's ok because it's also smaller and I like that.

I have the KA fridge, French Door, counter depth, SS with water inside and am very happy with it. Good luck on your choices and your new kitchen.

• loafer80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks deeageaux and gr8day for all the great advice.

yes, the Bosch dishwasher we are getting it for $1100. I have not heard of the funy odor for Bosch, will do some more reading on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Laundry was one of the things we did not do a lot of research on, will definitely look at the samsung pair. Is the extra water heat really necessary? we are using a basic top load and mostly just cold wash now. Was thinking to get the washer without steam and a steam dryer.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Top loaders clean well with lots of cold water, mediocre detergent, and short time periods. And federal appliance water regulations are really pushing the limits for the minimum necessary to clean well.

Front loaders clean well with very little warm/hot water, better detergent, and longer periods. Hot/warm water coming from the house boiler/water heater will not last warm/hot the 45 min-2 hr cycles typical of front loaders. Keeping the water at temp with built-in water heater is far more important than a washer with steam in order to clean. Dryers with steam are to prevent wrinkles mostly. Can also be used to "freshen" up a garment that was used only once with no indication it was soiled.

If you want more confirmation ask the ladies in the laundry forum.

Bosch is the most popular European type dishwasher in the USA. IMO it is Americans buying these trying to use them like old fashioned American dishwashers or greenies overusing the low water cycles that result in funky smells.

The veterans here on GW don't seem to have smell problems with their Bosch dishwashers, it is usually newbs.

I would buy that 800 plus at $1100.

• loafer80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks deeageaux, as always very informative.
    I think we have the package down pretty good, just the hoodfan I'm still second guessing.
    We want a high cfm hood, at least 36" x 24" and chimney style mounted on an exterior wall. Most models we find max. out at ~600cfm with mesh filters. Anything like +900cfm with baffle filters does not come in chimney style and more pro looking. We will not be having any upper cabinets, so the chimney style is a must. Any suggestion on the hood fan will be must appreciated.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

The Kobe SQB Series RA0236SQB1RA02DC is not a traditional looking chimney style hood but a lot of bang for your buck.

35.75" wide x 24" deep.

Baffle filters 760 cfm

1.8 sones at 300 cfm

5.4 sones at 760 cmf

About $1100

The 42" wide version has 1100 cfm and is about $1400