Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagoon_lisa

cookpower De Dietrich Induction

lagoon_lisa
16 years ago

Anybody been in touch with Dennis at cookpower in NZ lately?

I bought a De Dietrich DTI309X cooktop from him about 18 months ago, and one of the burners isn't working.

I've tried to contact him by e-mail, but it was bounced back to me.

I will try to phone him during NZ business hours with the old phone number I have, but just wondering if anyone here has been doing business with him lately.

Comments (28)

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

Somewhere along the way (on this forum) someone said you must go through Prestige Appliances in New Zealand. You will find a contact link there, but I don't think Dennis works for them.

Keep us posted on how you fare. I contacted them about a rattling fan. We traded a couple of emails after which I was told they would transfer the matter to their technical department. I haven't heard from them in a few weeks. I still have all 4 burners working though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prestige Appliances

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

I understand that Brandt the maker of the induction for De Dietrich has stopped any shipments of that product to the United States because it is not approved for use in this country.

• User
    16 years ago

Guadalupe - you are misinformed as to the reason. They are attempting to establish sales of Fagor products within the United States and don't want to compete against themselves.

CookPower was purchased by Prestige Appliances.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I'm sure Prestige will honor the 2 year parts warranty, just ask for the manager and explain the situation. From the very beginning, Cookpower and Prestige were affiliated, so I don't see why they wouldn't come up to bat.

Let us know!

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love these responses! One great thing about this site, one never feels alone dealing with any issues.

I've sent Prestige an e-mail. It is not yet Monday morning in NZ, so I don't expect a response yet.

My cooktop arrived 3 days after I originally ordered it. New Zealand to California. Amazing. They are capable of an extremely fast response when they feel like it. I'm not too impressed that piegirltoo is waiting weeks for a simple reply about a repair.

If anyone reading this has a had a positive repair result with them, do let us know the details!

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

I thought Salon Blue Ridge in North Carolina was still selling the De Dietrich line, despite the fact that it isn't UL approved or probably even approved by De Dietrich.

Greg

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

Maybe they're a little wiggy about sending parts directly to the consumer. I can understand how they'd not want me to diagnose and, worse, take the thing apart to fix it.

I know at least a couple of people on this forum have had theirs fixed. I wonder if they hired a repair person.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

piegirltoo please e-mail me, I'd like to compare notes about the "technician" we are waiting to hear from.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My first response from Prestige is not quite inspiring confidence, and I'm ready to consider any alternatives anyone here might have uncovered for De Dietrich repair.

Has anyone ever contacted Fagor directly in France to enquire about repairing their cooktop while it's still under factory warranty?

In other words, if a retailer defaults, any experience with how Fagor might handle the factory warranty obligation?

• User
    16 years ago

lagoon Lisa - Would you mind sharing the response you received from Prestige? I also purchased from CookPower, about the same time you did, and would like to know what to expect if I have a problem.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alicein wonderland - happy to, via e-mail, not in the public forum. I believe you can send me an e-mail msg via this site.

• amstergee
    16 years ago

My husband and I looked at buying the De Dietrich product but we had the concerns that you are all sharing. We could never get a straight answer from Brandt in France or Cookpower in NZ.

The Diva cooktop was the only UL approved De Dietrich cooktop available until Fagor appeared a few years ago. I did speak with Montse Delgado at Fagor last year and she told me that Fagor would not service the cooktops from France or NZ since it was not their US product and she specifically said that there was a warning in the installation manual that the European product was not meant for sales in the US.

At the end we had already decided to buy the Diva cooktop because they were here and certainly much more knowledgable about the product. Yes, we paid more but it certainly has not been a sore point with us.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

amstergee - Glad Diva is working out for you so well.

For me, price was not too much of an issue either, which was why I bought the unit from NZ for a lot more money than the same unit from the UK, because it supposedly had a 2 year warranty.

I chose my unit based on threads I read here about the Diva being underpowered, at least at the time. Also, the De Dietrich fit the look of our kitchen better. Maybe it was the availibility issue too. Anyway, it was certainly one of my most heavily debated purchases, starting with the gas vs induction or half-and-half quandary. Although I can no longer remember all the pros and cons for better or worse this is what I am stuck with. At least I still have 4 hobs functioning perfectly ;-)

Rather than hijacking this thread into comparisons between De Dietrich and Diva, which I am sure are discussed at length elsewhere, I'd be grateful to focus on what experiences those of you actually running into repair issues with a De Dietrich are having, and how you might have approached solving them.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tonight I have only 3 hobs working (out of five).

So I called Prestige in NZ. Rather, I dialed, and DH spoke. Prestige seem like very nice people.

It appears that they did not take over Cook Power's warranty obligations. This is all a bit unclear. However, they seem willing to help out with info and parts etc, which works for us because DH is very handy.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed that this will end well.

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

lagoon_lisa,

I emailed you just a few minutes ago.
    Can't believe your down to 3 burners. I'm sure lots of us will want to know how this progresses. Wishing you good luck!

• jason_prestigeappliances_co_nz
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I hope all the issues above were dealt with by my predecessors and everyone is happy about their purchases!

I know that their was some hesitation about selling into the States from NZ by the previous Managing Director due to warranty and repair issues.

The comments above in regards to Prestige and Cookpower being linked or one and the same weren't quite correct but are now. Prestige Appliances bought out a previous company called Prestige, and then purchased Cookpower. Thw warranty issues did become an issue with Prestige taking on what they could.

But that is all behind us now with most of the Cookpower AND Prestige staff now having moved on.

Dennis left pre Christmas 2007 and the other two staff members left June / July this year.

Just a quick update for those who were wondering.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries and i will try and shed light where possable!

Jason

Here is a link that might be useful: Prestige Appliances NZ website

• pamela928
    15 years ago

I am having problems with two of the linked hobs in my De Dietrich cooktop. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Salon Blue Ridge is being responsive to resolving the issue. I'll report back on how it resolves.
    P.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

Brandt who makes the De Dietrich induction top is owned by Fagor who has cracked down on the sale on non-approved product in the United States

• chinchette
    15 years ago

Has anyone got current info? My right side burners are out.

• lagoon_lisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chinchette - when/where did you buy your unit? I eventually found the successor company to cookpower in NZ to be very helpful when it came to repairing my unit.

• chinchette
    15 years ago

I got it from Dennis, at Cookpower. I e-mailed Jason (on this thread) a few days ago, and am waiting to hear back.

How did you resolve the situation with your cooktop? I'm not sure what is wrong with mine. I'm missing that right side...

• chinchette
    15 years ago

I'm still trying to work this out. Was given the name of someone at Fagor in the US, so hopefully will get instructions on what to do. I have a second unit in my shed that was slightly damaged. I swapped out the units just now and guess what? The second unit's left side is not working!

• jewel99
    15 years ago

We have had a 5-hob De Dietrich for a little over two years. One side went out just after we moved in; they replaced the board, no charge. Now the left two burners are out. I've e-mailed Cookpower/Prestige, but had no answer. Has anyone been able to get parts from them? I love this cook top, but am beginning to regret buying it.

• chinchette
    15 years ago

Let me know if you hear anything. I had some e-mails from Jason Gow earlier, but now not responding. I think if we call we can get through, but with the time change, its difficult.

I have two of them. So I can use the parts from one to put in the other, but I too am concerned that if the parts break, I won't be able to buy new ones.

• cbud10
    15 years ago

I also purchased A De Dietrich DTI309x 3 years ago from a store in England and it has worked great until tonight. Now the left 2 burners won't turn on and it seems to be stuck in a lock mode with the fan blowing, a solid horizontal bar lit and a very annoying beep every 10 seconds. Who can I get in the States to repair this? Any suggestions would be appreciated

• piegirltoo
    14 years ago

chinchette, jewel99, pamela 1:
    Any luck?

• lonedog
    13 years ago

So, I'm new to the induction market, still making decisions. I just read through this thread about de Dietrich and am confused...can we still get one in the US? From who? Is this problem of hobs not working fairly common? Any insight would be great. Also, I just read yesterday about De Dietrich's zoneless induction cooktop. anyone have one?

• jewel99
    13 years ago

A belated follow-up: I was able to get a circuit board from Blue Ridge in NC (Joe), but before we were able to install it, the other side (2 hobs) ceased working. Now I am thinking that perhaps it is the controller boards or just loose connections. Cookpower/Prestige is COMPLETELY unresponsive.

This is a great cook top when it works and I hate to spend nearly 3K on a replacement, but at least, if I have to do that, I will get one that is designed for US specs and has a US warranty. If I had it to do over, I would just have bought one here in the first place. I do love induction and have no desire to return to electric or gas.