Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muimui80

Electrolux French Door Fridge...yay or nay?!?!

muimui80
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying the Electrolux SS French Door EW23BC70IS. I believe this model came out Feb this year. I was immediately drawn to this fridge's sleek look and all the "bells and whistles"...compared to others I had seen at the warehouse KA,LG, JennAir and Kenmores...it appeared much more sturdy just when i closed the doors. Basically, I want/need for my fridge - french doors, SS finish, counter depth and external ice and water dispenser. I'm very attracted to a clean and modern look. When I saw this one it had all that i wanted and i fell in love with the LCD screen, LED lighting and the extra drawer inside the fridge section where you can regulate the temp...super cool!!!

I've been searching for "The One" for about 18 months and this model comes closest to what i like. HOWEVER, i never heard of Electrolux. I know they are known for their vacuums. I know they make Fridgedaire and have been around in Europe for a while. They have been in the US for about 5 yrs.

I checked here for messages on Electrolux fridges and they have good and bad reviews but they are from year 2007. Anyone have any recent experience with this brand of fridges. Do you know of a brand/type that would have all the features i want?

Just not sure if i should spend $4,000 on a fridge I really love but don't have much history to take from.....I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Comments (97)

• captsmethwick
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Update: technician was in yesterday and my wife told me that he replaced almost everything to do with the icemaker: new circuit board, new motor, control arm, etc. They even installed a chute guard (I'll post a picture when I have time to do so) - the latter to address complaints of flying ice cubes (something we never encountered). Apparently, many of the new parts have been redesigned - E'lux is evidently keenly aware that their icemaker is problematic.

So far, so good - let's hope this fix works because, otherwise, we love this fridge.

• cj47
    13 years ago

Wow...I've had the standard depth French Door IQ touch for 3 months and it's worked just fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Cj

• svs128
    13 years ago

It would be helpful if everyone included model numbers with their posts. I have EI23BC36I and haven't experienced any problems. It appears that most the issues are occurring in models that have water and ice dispensers in the door.

• captsmethwick
    13 years ago

Ours is a CD/FD wave touch w/ ice maker (EW23BC71IS) and we love it. E'lux has been very responsive so no complaints here.

• Michael34_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

Do not buy this electrolux FD frig! I am on my second one. Neither one will deliver ice. First one didn't make ice after 2 weeks and second one makes ice but auger won't deliver it through door. Had 4 repairs on this one and it still doesn't work. Electrolux is balking on sending me a third unit. I am a lawyer and will file suit if this continues. The model is evidently unmerchantable. I anticipate a class action lawsuit in the near future. I have have not had ice since May on a $3 K plus appliance.

• anagortiz_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have the EW28BC71IS standard depth french door with ice in the door and it works perfectly and I love it. I love the lighting, the shelving and the ample room both the fridge and freezer provide. My only gripe with fridge is that since I also purchased gas range (love blue interior!) and dishwasher, the fridge should have a blue "water/cube/crush" indicater light to match blue clock on range and dishwasher timer. My only gripe with dishwasher is that it had a foul smell for the first several months. I was looking for mid-range price appliances as I'm not much of a cook and didn't want people to think they were in store for a gourmet meal if I had purchased the high-end stuff. I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

• wingnut330
    13 years ago

We have a new CD FD Elux wi water and ice on the front. Ours stopped making ice shortly after we got it. A service tech came out and provided a temp fix. It has been making ice normally since. The permanent fix gets installed tomorrow ( a CPU upgrade). We really like our fridge and the service has been very responsive. Even with this issue I would still recommend this unit. I only wish I had gotten the icon version so the controls would match our double ovens! :)

• cakequeen
    13 years ago

Got a Wave Touch FrD FD installed in late August and it has been terrific. We love it. Its HUGE and weighs about 300 lbs. The freezer has loads of space and nicely segmented pull out trays. The LED lights are nice and bright and reduce energy use. There was more than ample space for all the holiday baking and dinner supplies. We did have to reprogram the ice maker which we did w/ the rep over the phone. DH must have turned it off somehow. Otherwise, all has been great. I will say it can occassionally be a little noisy at times when the compressor is running but I assume this is because it is a big machine trying to keep alot of things at diff. temps. We're very satisfied w/ it; in fact thrilled by all the storage, easy access and visibility of everything we have in there.

• jeanmw
    13 years ago

Well, in spite of many negative reviews, we did buy the Electrolux French Door fridge with ice/water in the door about one month ago. Today the icemaker stopped producing ice and I made a call to their 1-800-service number. Very responsive, very helpful, walked me through re-setting the icemaker and it immediately started making ice again. They are over-nighting a serveware(?) upgrade and will have a technician install it early next week. They explained to me that in order to meet the qualifications for EnergyStar appliances, they have a smaller compressor in the refrigerator than they would otherwise; if you are in and out of the fridge alot and/or if you put hot food in the fridge, it can sometimes require so much power to cool down that the ice maker shuts itself off. I was told that the new serveware they're sending should take care of this problem. That was an explanation I hadn't heard. So, we're being patient for now and will see what happens with this change. Otherwise, I really do like the fridge and especially the freezer configuration. Here's hoping......

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

They explained to me that in order to meet the qualifications for EnergyStar appliances, they have a smaller compressor in the refrigerator than they would otherwise;

That is not a problem unique to Electrolux or FD refrigerators with ice dispensors.

SxS fridges with ice dispensors have to meet EneryStar requirements too. Not as many problems though.

• Danahills
    13 years ago

Am I the odd person out here? I have had my CD Wave Touch FD Electrolux with ice and water dispenser for over a year now, and no problems whatsoever. My ice maker makes noise once in a while, but when I check it there is usually a clump of ice cubes stuck near the dispensing end. I remove that and things are ok again. I have had this problem with every ice maker I have ever owned, so it isn't a big deal to me. I love my fridge!!

• wingnut330
    13 years ago

The tech came and installed our update earlier this week and its making ice like a champ now! Good luck with your update. I'm sure it will do the trick.

• kingwsm_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

bought my french door wave touch ss fridge model #ew28bs711s6 in november 2009, the ice maker worked for 6 weeks, the unit was replaced 3 times, work for a couple of weeks then melts. The fridge was replaced on Nov 11 2010- today the ice maker stopped making ice and melted down. I would never buy this fridge again.

• aileen9
    13 years ago

Bought the french door wave touch EW28B271IS in July 2010. Ice maker didn't work, shot ice all over the floor, cubes were slushy. Had multiple computer boards replaced, ice maker parts, and entire ice maker. Then had the entire fridge replaced with a new one in November 2010. Flap on right door was then replaced, ice maker stopped working, and compressor is very loud. They were supposed to replace board but got wrong part. Needed 8.1 but sent old one. Now I'm told I'm getting a 3rd new unit to the house because they don't want to work on compressor in my house, nor do I want them too. This is ridiculous. Beautiful fridge that matches my kitchen (we bought a whole kitchen of Electrolux and ICON) but I'd never buy it again. If this 3rd unit doesn't work, I'll have to demand a refund and purchase a competing product. Unfortunately, I've been offered NO compensation for sitting at home 16 times for service calls with 4-6 hour windows. What a waste of time. It's a shame because the products look beautiful - they just don't work well for the price paid.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

We've had ours for about three weeks. It's the kind with no ice maker/water on the door, and we haven't even hooked the internal icemaker up because we're just not that big on ice--a couple of trays is fine for us. We would rather have more storage in the freezer, so we took out the icemaker tub and voila, more storage space. I do like that you can remove the tub and there's no mechanism getting in the way of storage.

So far, no problems. It holds its temperature really well, and we have a thermometer sitting on a shelf in the fridge so I'm not just basing that on what the built-in fridge thermometer says. There's SOOOO much room in the fridge, compared to our old side-by-side that died and to some other counter depth FD's we saw.

• maninthefridge
    13 years ago

Check out the G.E. Cafe CFCP1NIZSS at the following link.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=CFCP1NIZSS

Here is a link that might be useful: G.E. Appliances

• cj47
    13 years ago

I had an Electrolux IQ Touch french door, EI28BS56IS delivered in August. No problems. Icemaker works fine, temp is spot on and I love the capacity.

Cj

• skcreedon
    13 years ago

We purchased two Electrolux appliances about 8 months ago. What a nightmare. We ended up returning their new induction range and we are now on our 3rd visit from the appliance store to look at the refrigerator. This by the way is our 2nd refrigerator from them because the first one the ice maker didn't work. Ugh, I would never buy another one of their products. We ended up exchanging their range for a Bosch which we love. I could go on and on but I don't want to get my blood pressure up. I will give Electrolux points for style. The range and refrigerator were both beautiful looking but I wouldn't go near this brand again. I see many reviewers are quite happy but all I would say is "buyer beware" !!

• hv352_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

Wish we had read these reviews before purchasing our Electrolux appliances.The microwave has been replaced after 4 service calls. French door refrigerator with an in door ice maker has been serviced 12 times. Initially problem was the ice maker then unable to maintain temperature. Constant SY EF code displayed. It was a battle to get them to replace the unit. Wish us well we are expecting a replacement tomorrow

• cj47
    13 years ago

Wow--I have the IQ Touch model with the water in the door, delivered in August. No problems, love the capacity. I also bought double wall ovens, love them, they're terrific and work just as well as I'd hoped they would.

Cj

• rjp1
    12 years ago

Without a doubt the worst appliance we have ever purchased. The fridge itself is great the icemaker on the other hand is junk. Multiple service calls parts etc. The warranty 1 year is now out (one week) and guess what the maker failed again. Would not purchase another at all.

• twag1
    12 years ago

have had this fridge for 2 weeks. It is beautiful. Stainless Steel sides as well- almost a shame to hide it in the cabinets. The doors close a little loud and sometimes the stile? on the right door does not slide into position and so the left door does not close right and the internal parts of the door bang into each other. We learned pretty quickly to just close the right door first. It is supposed to be the largest of the counter depth french door 36 inch but still smaller than our old freezer on top model. But we love it.

• ellencr
    12 years ago

Like dawn8168, I went with the Electrolux in the late fall of 2009 because of the stainless-appearing sides. I went through 4 -- yep, FOUR -- machines before finally receiving one that works as it should.

My first machine was early in the game for Electrolux, and they had tons of problems with the in-door water/ice mechanism. I know they created several upgrade kits to resolve some of the dispenser/ice make problems; dawn8168, definitely call Electrolux and ask about these kits. That may just fix your trouble.

As for me, after my first problem machine -- largely due to the door dispenser mechanism -- I switched to the ice maker in the freezer model. That freed up so much room in the refrigerator, and the freezer still holds more than my chest freezer. I had one of the first machines of this model, and it didn't hold temperature in spite of several service calls. That one was replaced, but the replacement splashed water from the ice maker into the door grooves, which then froze, preventing the freezer door from sealing. Needless to say, we lost a lot of frozen food...

When replacing the ice maker didn't work, I received fridge # 4 -- the current one (also without the dispenser), #4. While I was reluctant to stay with Electrolux, the stainless sides are exposed to my living room, so that look is important to me. (I even looked into having another brand wrapped in stainless with no success.) Finally, I have a machine that works as it should. It holds the temps well, is very quiet, and it makes plenty of ice. I've not had one service call on it.

I can't report on the state of the in-door dispenser today, but I now I do have a positive experience to report with the ice-in-the-freezer drawer model. I was very pleased with Electrolux's response to my problems (although it wasn't without some error), as well as Lowe's willingness to replace the machines (which was faster than Electrolux).

Bottom line, would I recommend the the Electrolux FD fridge? Yes, absolutely, for the model without the in-door ice/water. And, yes, with some hesitation on the model with the dispenser.

• ellencr
    12 years ago

twag1, Regarding the door closing problems: one of the fridges we had had the same problem you describe. That "stile" is adjustable. Since your machine is still under warranty, call and request service. From our experience, we know that definitely can be easily corrected. (And I believe how to adjust it it yourself may be in the manual.) Our current Electrolux FD closes easily, and quietly, regardless of which door you shut first.

Ellen

• cakequeen
    12 years ago

We bought a full depth wave touch FD electrolux in August, 2010 and so far so good. I will say that we've had to call to get the icemaker reprogrammed because it stopped working. Everything else seems to work fine. I can't believe how much capacity it has and love the LED lighting and the incredible freezer compartments. Very efficiently organized. We have no regrets so far.

• sue_home
    12 years ago

I'm looking at the Electrolux FD frig. without dispenser on door. I really like how "solid" the e'lux drawers are and that the deli tray is full extension. All the bad reviews are making me reconsider. Are the 2011 models any more reliable? Any updates?

• split767
    12 years ago

Twag1,

We just put in our Electrolux CD two weeks ago. Read about hinge adjustments, and levelling. Chances are it isn't levelled properly. Get the fridge perfectly levelled both fore and aft as well as left/right. Then get the doors evened up. Finally the inner plastic piece on the right door that flips in/out has a screw giving an additional few mm of adjustment up and down. This fixed it for us and took less than 30 minutes.

So far, zero complaints. We went with the 36" counter depth with the ice-maker in the freezer not the door. Makes ice quickly, the fridge is silent. The interior and exterior look great. Couldn't be happier.

• grumpydave
    12 years ago

Sue, I'm planning on getting an Electrolux CD FD fridge very soon. After reading the many, many complaints going back several years I came to the conclusion that 99% of them revolve around the water dispenser and ice maker, and probably 90% of those are for the in-door dispensers. I found virtually no complaints at all about the actual refrigerator itself, or at least not enough to make me think there's any sort of chronic problem there. Since I don't want an in-door dispenser anyway it seems like the Elux simply has the best layout and features as you've mentioned.

• trailgirl
    12 years ago

I'd have to go look up the model number but, we have the CD FD Electrolux with no spill shelves. We bought it around 9/10 and had it installed this spring. There is NO water OR ice in the door. I think those can be problem areas in any refrigerator.

So far (3-4 months) it's been great. We are quite happy with it.

• ih8traffic_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have an Electrolux Refrigerator EW28BS7OIS1 and have a recurring problem of the water in the indoor dispenser freezing and clogging the line. The ice maker is still making ice for the past year after replacing a gear. The repairman has been out several times this past year and replaced a computer board in the back, added insulation around the ice maker, defrosted the water dispenser line but the problem with the water line freezing still persists. I will be calling him back for the 5th time. I do NOT recommend Electrolux FD refrigerators.

• applianceauthority
    12 years ago

I have an Electrolux & my wife loves the 28 cubic feet. It really holds alot. We have a decent size family. We both work & don't have time for every day grocery/supermarket shopping. My philosophy is always "whats the most i can get into my space" & Electrolux was the best looking. I almost took a Built In Fridge but i got sticker shock. Controls are soooo cool. Best part of it is that you dont have the controls in the fridge. Most fridges have it on top & it takes away for the usability of the top shelf which makes their cu ft even less. This one has in on the side of the door. Good Design is my short description for this one.

If you want to save money on taxes buy it from AJ Madison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the one i got!!!

• eynht
    12 years ago

I recently purchased the Electrolux Icon FD E23BC78IPS6. I bought it with hesitation because of all the bad reviews from the past. I also bought it because my first choice, the Bosch 800 FD series didn't fit through my doors into the kitchen. My space is extremely limited. So I took a leap of faith..

Pros:
    The Icon is beautiful!!! No other company can compare with the inside of the Icon. The details of the LED lights and drawers are amazing.

Cons:
    It was delivered this past Saturday 6/26. After installation, the ice maker didn't work. It never worked. Next, I read about temperature problems. I set my fridge to 33 degrees. The lowest it got was 37 and that's on the bottom shelf. The middle shelf registered 40. So the temperature is off.

I was able to have the appliance store ship me a new one this weekend. I'm hoping the new one will work because, I really want to keep it. But if it's not working properly, it needs to go back.

I was looking at the Viking but since it's made by Whirlpool, the refrigerator was pretty flimsy inside and decided against it.

• dnewkirk_midwest-connections_com
    12 years ago

We have had this piece of junk for about a year now. The ice maker still does not function properly. We have had 6 visits from a repairman and every part of the ice maker replaced. Still does not work. Do yourself a big favor and DO NOT BUY an Electrojunk appliance.

• cj47
    12 years ago

LOL, I think this is my 4th post to this thread--we're coming up on one year with the Electrolux non-wavetouch, non-Icon FD refridge and we still like it. No problems with anything, including the icemaker/water. Just thought I'd throw that in, they're not all bad.

• wizard19
    12 years ago

An update on my post from 10/10. Ice maker electronics board (in back of fridge) replaced 3 times, main board (under freezer) replaced once, front "wave touch" panel replaced, motor to control "cubes/crushed" replaced (still didn't fix problem), ice activator arm replaced and a couple of other minor parts in the ice maker replaced. Trying one more replacement of the main board and then we are looking at a complete fridge replacement. I have to say, besides the charades with the ice maker we like the fridge itself. I heard a couple of major retail chains(similar to Home Depot) have stopped carrying Electrolux due to the high return rate.

• workingondreamhouse
    12 years ago

Any new reviews of the Electrolux FD? The Ice maker/dispenser is really important to us and I was HOPING that Electrolux was aware of the problem and had fixed with newer models. We are considering the IQ Touch EI28BS56IS and Wave Touch EW28BS71IS (still trying to figure out the difference between IQ Touch and Wave Touch). I love the styling and we are using the Electrolux All Fridge and All Freezer in the main kitchen.

If these are not an option, any suggestions for a high end standard depth French Door with an external water/ice dispenser?

• terly
    12 years ago

I am interested in purchasing the Electorlux Refridgerator
    model EI27Bs167s Stainless steel.

I wanted know if anyone has this and if they found any problems with it.

Thank you

• deedles
    12 years ago

Another poster wondering if anyone out there can update some reviews. Has E-lux addressed the icemaker issues? I'm looking at the Electrolux IQ-Touch Series EI23BC36I.

Thanks

• todcp
    12 years ago

Garbage . Ice maker and electronics are horrible. Mine has been repaired five times and the last repair did not fix it. Set the temp at 37 but fridge has decided it wants to stay at 26. Causing the sodas to freeze and explode.
    Have lost all our food three times.
    Do not buy this. Our Electrolux washer and dryer have been terrific. All appliances purchase less than two years ago.

• earthpal
    12 years ago

EI23BC36IS
    Hi Deedles! We have the model that you are looking at. If you go way back up this thread, you will see our story. I am happy to report that the second unit we received is working fine outside of some condensation issues in the veggie drawers occasionally. It is fairly quiet, looks nice and stores lots of food in both sections. I do recommend the frig, but I would purchase it from a company that believes in customer service. Tho with the posting of their rep a few messages up from this, I believe Eluxe finally realized that they needed to be more pro-active than they were when we first got our frig.

What sold us on this frig besides the size, was the drawers are enclosed and there are no holes thus making it much easier to control the humidity.

We do not use the ice maker in the freezer still. And as I have noted before, please make sure the path to, and the space in front of the frig location are big enough for the frig to pass thru. ;)

• wizard19
    12 years ago

Another update -(Background we purchased the CD FD ice maker in 12/09. Started having problems with the ice maker 8/10. ) Now (2/12), Electrolux finally approved a complete fridge replacement. I think the replacement units have a more traditional ice maker.

We do like the fridge, other than the quality of the ice maker. We purchased it because it had the water and ice in the door and flexible freezer bins (the whole point of going to the the FD model from a side-to-side was to have more flexibility in the freezer...re cookie trays, etc).

We also have the Electrolux double oven, induction cooktop and dishwasher. We love all those units. Although I have heard there may be some problems with the weld joints on the bottom of the dishwasher that results in water leakage.

• Soozienurse
    12 years ago

Hi... . Sorry for the length, but if you are considering an Electrolux purchase, I hope you take the time to read this. Let me start by saying I don't usually write detailed posts/reviews. I generally leave a comment if I really LOVE a product, but I have to be pushed beyond reason to leave a negative comment. Having said, that, we built a new home in 2010, and I pestered my husband to spend the extra cash to get the entire suite of Electrolux appliances. When we built our first home, about 12 years ago, we purchased the Frigidaire Gallery series. He wanted to stick with that brand, as they were rock solid appliances, and we had no issues with them at all. How I wish I had listened to him. I will start with the double wall oven. I was using the top oven only from September of 2010 to Thanksgiving (no particular reason, I just didn't cook any big dinners) and I thought it was awfully noisy. There was a loud convection sound that never went away, even when the oven reached the set temperature. I just figured...OK its loud, but I'll have to live with it. I wasn't about to rip out a newly installed oven because it was noisy. Plus I absolutely LOVED those easy glide racks! I did expect an adjustment period, so when I burned the first few things, I sort of wrote it off as an oops...maybe this oven just cooks faster than my old one. After burning EVERY dish I made, I stuck 3 different thermometers in there and found it was 30-50 degrees above the set temp. And still extremely loud. So when I finally got around to using the lower oven, I found that after reaching proper temperature, the sound went off. And the thermometer that I put in the lower oven was pretty close to the set temperature. Apparently, the top oven has been stuck in the convection mode since day one...which explains why it is so loud. By this time, all of the racks had lost their nice smooth coat (I assume from cooking constantly in convection) and that lovely smooth glide feature (that partially sold me on the oven) were shot...completely shot. The bearings don't work and I actually have to tug, side to side, to get the racks out. I asked for new racks in addition to whatever repairs were necessary. The bottom oven racks were still OK. The cook top: We have the 36" hybrid cook top, and after a few months, it would suddenly stop working, flashing an F error code. If I let is sit for anywhere from a few hours to a day, it would start working again. But I never know when it will simply shut down. That puts a serious hamper on cooking on the holidays. I called the company, and was told that code indicated an internal problem with the "mother board", and that it would need to be replaced. The refrigerator (while it is nice and roomy) has not made ice after the first 8 months, and the water has never come out cold. It's barely room temperature. The handles on the drawers in the freezer have fallen off, and the draws frequently get stuck. My freezer is spotless...nothing to gum up the glides. Several of the small plastic shelf brackets have snapped off. The final straw? This morning, the microwave, one of only two only appliances that I have not yet had a problem with, just quit all together. I checked the breaker, and the outlet. No problems there. Just dead. I have had two separate electricians here to make sure the wiring was not faulty, given all of the issues, and the wiring is fine. The microwave stove and oven are all on dedicated circuits. Now we get to the so called "Electrolux "Support". I called to report the problems. I won't include the microwave, as it is outside the "warranty" period, but it's still only a year and a half old. The dishwasher is insanely quiet and still working well, so no complaints about that one item. I called to report the problems with the refrigerator, cook top and oven when they were maybe 9 or 10 months old. At that point the cook top was not working at all. They said they would send one person each for each appliance. Now, being a working mom, I can't take three days off to wait for three separate servicemen. That was ridiculous. So, after several more phone calls, they found someone nearby, and claimed he would be out with two weeks. Two weeks? Without a stove? That is really a long time to wait with 2 kids under the age of 6. But I didn't really have any say in the matter, and no amount of begging and pleading on my part helped. Of course, no one called or showed up. About 6 calls and 3 months later, an authorized serviceman from All American Appliance, out of Monroe, CT arrived. He looked at each appliance and determined that cook top and the oven needed new computers, and he was going to order some parts for the fridge. He claimed it could take two weeks for the parts to arrive. I waited three, figuring he must be busy. I called his office about 4 times over the next week. Only after I called Electrolux did he finally return my call. He was very apologetic and basically said my order had "slipped through the cracks", and he had forgotten to place it all together. I was frustrated, but mistakes happen, and I tend to be pretty easy going and patient. So I agreed to wait for the parts and his call. He claimed he was going to order my parts and he would be back to our house in two or three weeks. Again, a month later, I called the office several times. The woman at the office remembered me, and told me she was doing to give Dave a call, as he was not in the office. I waited a few days and called her back. She claimed she had no record of his visit, and he didn't remember ever coming here. Turns out the service man "Dave" that had come out initially is the owner of the company. No order, no parts, she has suddenly never heard of me. I called Electrolux, absolutely fuming at this point. They said they were having difficulty finding someone authorized in my area. I filed a report with Electrolux about the "authorized" repair company that had been giving me the run around. Basically, they don't want to bothered repairing the appliances, and I told Electrolux as much. I refused to waste any more time with this guy Dave from All American. I asked that Electrolux find a reputable repair man and get this taken care of. I told the rep that I have had to buy a rice cooker, and one of those plug-in cook tops to make meals when I have a $2000 cook-top sitting there, useless! It's been over a year now that I have been trying to get these issues resolved. Then, the Electrolux rep told me that, since it has been more than a year, the warranty has expired. WHAT???? I just about lost it right there, but I calmly and firmly explained that No, I initiated a service claim well within the warranty period, and due to the incompetence of both the repair company and Electrolux, I have been waiting for repairs for more than a year. They retracted that statement pretty quickly, and said they would get a different company to come out. Electrolux called a few days later with another company. A new rep left the name and number of All American Appliance!!! I'm not sure what I am going to do now. I most definitely am NOT calling All American Appliance again, so I can waste another 9 months??? The idea of having to get an attorney to get new appliances just makes me feel...tired. I could send this post to the CEO, but really, is he going to care? I'm just one person. I'm a nurse, so customer satisfaction is my number one priority, even though it's not likely I will ever see the same patient again. They should take note. I would love any suggestions/ideas on what I should do next. If 30+ hours of phone calls (and I'm not kidding) haven't resolved it, should I resign myself to getting an attorney? I don't have another ten grand to shell out to replace all of my appliances...and now that I have taken the time to write this post, I have a good mind to copy and post it everywhere I can think of!

• Skipper54321
    11 years ago

i'd have to agree with Soozienurse for most part. Very disappointed with Electrolux Appliances which we bought in a complete kitchen re-do summer 2010 - so it's been 2yrs. Same French Door fridge with Ice Maker issues (EW23BC71IS3) - 5 Service visits and 2 full ice maker replacements - last of which I Paid for out of pocket and thing still doesn't work properly or much at all. Repair shop admitted Electrolux's design was flawed but thinks mine is Lemon. Dishwasher is extremely noisy and i had to wedge in a block of wood internal to get vibration to stop. Doesn't clean worth a darn and never did - have to get dishes clean before they enter. And Dual fuel slide-in range - gas top and electric oven - has been decent, but takes at least 17-20min, to heat to 350F, so no such thing as quickly popping in a pizza. I paid Large premium for Electrolux appliances over similar stainless top other brands and have been disappointed in quality and workmanship. I've had an Electrolux vacuum and it's the best thing ever built, but i was apparently too early in the game in jumping into their appliances. Hope they've improved.

• Mindirose
    11 years ago

Does anyone have any info or feedback about this model: EI28BS80KS...I am supposed to look at one for sale used today, but am looking to be as informed as possible!

Thanks

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

We have the Electrolux Icon Professional french door fridge, counter depth w/out ice maker in the door and are very happy with it. In terms of performance, would certainly recommend the brand/fridge. We opted to go sans ice/water dispenser as they are notoriously faulty, regardless of brand.

• fatwok
    11 years ago

I have a EI23BC51I, french door fridge without dispenser. i bought it a year ago but due to delays in remodel it wasn't inbstalled until 2 months ago. now all the LED lights in the
    fridge and the bottom freezer do not come on. and the door
    alarm isn't working any more. since it's out of warranty i'm looking at very expensive repair bill. o yeah, my vote is a big NO to Electrolux.

• Alia Al
    11 years ago

OMG!! this really sound like nightmares!! Soo sad to hear your stories :( we just bought a new house and hubby and I are looking for appliances to buy. Electrolux have a store/showroom next to our house. We've checked it first and everything looked soo beautiful, classy and good quality that my husband wanted to buy everything then and there but I wanted to shop around and read reviews. sooooo happy I did. I don't think I'm going back. Thanks for sharing your stories.

• palomalou
    11 years ago

Soozienurse, what finally happened with your appliances? I rather think they should pay for your additional expenses PLUS replace everything.

• Foveator
    8 years ago

We bought this top of the line French Door 24" counter depth refrigerator almost exactly 6 years ago. The ice maker died at about 3 years, was repaired and died again several months ago. Luckily we have kept the extended warranty in force because of this unit's dismal repair record.

The repair
    people have been back 4 times for this icemaker issue, replacing a motor, a board, a sensing
    arm and something else. The ice maker is still dead. They are now
    ordering 4 more replacement parts hoping THAT will be the trick to bring
    this icemaker back to life. But that is only the tip of the iceberg!

I
    am writing this having just been to my GI MD and after spending some
    time in the ER from FOOD POISONING! The last repair person suspected
    that the refrigerator compartment was too warm even though the
    electronic touch screen said it was 33 degrees. It was really
    fluctuating between 39 degrees and 41 degrees! I am now monitoring the
    temps over a 48 hour period to check on the temperature fluctuation. The
    freezer, set at -6 degrees is also warmer than the indicator shows. A
    fan in the freezer compartment may have failed. A door that lets air
    from the freezer into the refrigerator compartment seems to have failed.
    It appears that the whole complicated control system is malfunctioning
    and it has made me and my family sick! I am furious! Food is spoiling
    and smelling up the whole refrigerator. I have totally lost confidence
    in this 6 year old top-of-the-line Electrolux product. This
    refrigerator notifies us if a door is left ajar. It notifies us if there
    has been a power failure; it gives us a digital readout of what I
    thought was the actual the temperature in the refrigerator, in the
    freezer and in the custom temp drawer... but now I realize that all of
    these data point readouts have been FALSE and cannot be depended upon.
    It doesn't tell us a thing if the ACTUAL TEMPERATURE in the refrigerator
    is at an unsafe and unhealthy level. This unit, with 2 compressors and
    the most sophisticated controls in the entire Electrolux line, retails
    for almost $4,000!!! I would have been far better off with Sam's Club
    generic refrigerator for a quarter of the price. I purchased this
    because of its features and its Swedish lineage. I have seen the
    Electrolux appliances in Sweden and the owners have been happy with
    them. This refrigerator is a terrible disappointment and I doubt that
    anything the company does now will change that conclusion. This should
    be a warning to all buyers that unless this company does something
    extraordinary, like include a 10-year warranty on all parts and service
    AND contents (like appliances used to have a generation ago), no buyer
    should seriously consider this brand. As hard as it is to admit, after
    considerable research before buying this refrigerator, I apparently
    chose wrong. I now regret my purchase, especially after ending up in the
    Emergency Room with food poisoning caused by this refrigerator. My wife
    is now tossing out many hundreds of dollars worth of perishables from
    the refrigerator.

If you have a malfunctioning
    icemaker, use an indoor outdoor thermometer to double check the actual
    temperature. Your health may also be at serious risk thanks to this
    Electrolux appliance. Should I send them my ER bill? All of the contents
    of the refrigerator are being discarded; they are unsafe to consume.
    Who pays for that?

Consider yourselves warned!

PS
    (Added 6 hours later after checking the refrigerator again.) The
    refrigerator temp is set at 33 degrees. The actual temperature, measured
    by a digital AND conventional thermometer: 42 degrees; far into the
    danger zone for preserving perishables. Needless to say, this is no longer an ice maker problem!