Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A range hood that isn't a hood

Posted by SeaKoz (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 0:59

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping I can use your collective wisdom...

I'm looking at this hood: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CC34ISB.html It's a flush mount 44" ceiling fan, I plan on pairing it with a 1500 CFM external motor and will be using it with either a Blue Star 30" or an American Range 30" range.

My question: Is this too good to be true? I'm planning on putting the stove on a peninsula and keeping things as open as possible is a goal for me.

Thanks for your responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Best Cirrus fan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A range hood that isn't a hood

No way can you run that much CFM through the 6" duct that that thing uses. I doubt it would even do the CFM that it says it does with it's internal blower.

Yes, it's too good to be true. With a high performance range comes the NEED for a high performance hood with some decent capture area. That isn't it.

You'd be much better off relocating the range to a different wall. Cooking is only 10% of the time you spend in the kitchen. Put a prep sink on that peninsula and enjoy the 70% of the time you spend doing that as your social interaction.

o

Thanks for the response GreenDesigns, I guess I'll keep looking.

o

They have one of these (a Best - Cirrus) installed at the Purcell-Murray demo kitchen in Brisbane, CA (as of Aug, 2012). It's over a new Thermador Freedom induction cooktop. I was shocked at how well it worked for being so high above the surface. Not too noisy either. Though I think the rep said there was a replacement part it needed that would quiet it down some more.

I think if you get it with an external blower you can size up the duct to 8".

o

We've looked at them too and wondered how efficient they are. DH thought it was great. I can't figure out why the unit is framed in black metal rather than white - I haven't seen too many kitchens with black ceilings.

o

Even with a duct large enough for a 1500 cfm external fan, which would preferably be 10-inch diameter, this unit is too small for the height it will be at, even for 7 ft ceilings. Much of the rising effluent would miss immediate capture, and likely would diffuse throughout the house before being cleared by the replacement air. In the meantime, some grease and moisture would collect on the ceilings, walls, and fabrics.

A foot or more of pan overlap would be needed for that height, leading to a hood that might be described as commercial sized. It would, though, not block sight-lines. Of possible interest is that the higher the hood, the more susceptible the rising effluent is to cross drafts and turbulence from people moving about, so the opportunities for escaping immediate capture are more frequent.

kas

o
RE: A range hood that isn't a hood, continued

I should add that a 3 x 1 or 2 x 2 array of these Cirrus units (depending on ceiling height) might be adequate, so long as the filters are cleaned often. Such a set would be very unobtrusive, and somewhat emulate the commercial perforated ceiling systems, though without their UV systems to break down the grease.

kas

o

> I can't figure out why the unit is framed in black metal rather than white - I haven't seen too many kitchens with black ceilings.

It's not black trim, that's the recessed portion of the vent which just looks dark because it is in shadow. It's all stainless steel.

o

Looks good, but that is a very narrow plume being collected, with a much lower expansion angle than was observed and reported in calibrated tests performed by Finnish researchers. I think this test should be repeated searing meat at a higher temperature than what was used for vegetables in the video.

(One might conclude, however, that if one won't be doing any cooking more intense than the veggie cooking in the video, this device is large enough so long as the cooking is directly below it.)

In general, the standard for capture video is schleiren photography, which can show by the imaged index of refraction changes in the air where heat (and presumably effluent) is going at the hood.

kas

Edit: This post only makes sense in the context of a commercial post that preceded it that must have been defenestrated by the admins. The removed post related to a video at the suppliers web site.

This post was edited by kaseki on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 12:13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here