Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sea_koz

A range hood that isn't a hood

sea_koz
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping I can use your collective wisdom...

I'm looking at this hood: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CC34ISB.html It's a flush mount 44" ceiling fan, I plan on pairing it with a 1500 CFM external motor and will be using it with either a Blue Star 30" or an American Range 30" range.

My question: Is this too good to be true? I'm planning on putting the stove on a peninsula and keeping things as open as possible is a goal for me.

Thanks for your responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Best Cirrus fan

Comments (8)

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response GreenDesigns, I guess I'll keep looking.

• eelpout1
    11 years ago

They have one of these (a Best - Cirrus) installed at the Purcell-Murray demo kitchen in Brisbane, CA (as of Aug, 2012). It's over a new Thermador Freedom induction cooktop. I was shocked at how well it worked for being so high above the surface. Not too noisy either. Though I think the rep said there was a replacement part it needed that would quiet it down some more.

I think if you get it with an external blower you can size up the duct to 8".

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

We've looked at them too and wondered how efficient they are. DH thought it was great. I can't figure out why the unit is framed in black metal rather than white - I haven't seen too many kitchens with black ceilings.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

Even with a duct large enough for a 1500 cfm external fan, which would preferably be 10-inch diameter, this unit is too small for the height it will be at, even for 7 ft ceilings. Much of the rising effluent would miss immediate capture, and likely would diffuse throughout the house before being cleared by the replacement air. In the meantime, some grease and moisture would collect on the ceilings, walls, and fabrics.

A foot or more of pan overlap would be needed for that height, leading to a hood that might be described as commercial sized. It would, though, not block sight-lines. Of possible interest is that the higher the hood, the more susceptible the rising effluent is to cross drafts and turbulence from people moving about, so the opportunities for escaping immediate capture are more frequent.

kas

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I should add that a 3 x 1 or 2 x 2 array of these Cirrus units (depending on ceiling height) might be adequate, so long as the filters are cleaned often. Such a set would be very unobtrusive, and somewhat emulate the commercial perforated ceiling systems, though without their UV systems to break down the grease.

kas

• eelpout1
    11 years ago

> I can't figure out why the unit is framed in black metal rather than white - I haven't seen too many kitchens with black ceilings.

It's not black trim, that's the recessed portion of the vent which just looks dark because it is in shadow. It's all stainless steel.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Looks good, but that is a very narrow plume being collected, with a much lower expansion angle than was observed and reported in calibrated tests performed by Finnish researchers. I think this test should be repeated searing meat at a higher temperature than what was used for vegetables in the video.

(One might conclude, however, that if one won't be doing any cooking more intense than the veggie cooking in the video, this device is large enough so long as the cooking is directly below it.)

In general, the standard for capture video is schleiren photography, which can show by the imaged index of refraction changes in the air where heat (and presumably effluent) is going at the hood.

kas

Edit: This post only makes sense in the context of a commercial post that preceded it that must have been defenestrated by the admins. The removed post related to a video at the suppliers web site.

This post was edited by kaseki on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 12:13