Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb492

To Advantium or not to Advantium.....

deb492
18 years ago

That is the question!

I basically enjoy cooking when I am not under too much time pressure. In the past I have used the microwave for heating up things and defrosting, not really cooking much more than frozen vegetables, or certain vegetables. I becamed very interested in the Advantium after looking at some ads, and then reading many posts on this site.

Here's the problem in a nutshell...We are remodeling my tiny kitchen and I have just decided to get a Dacor Millennia range with convection. Over the range I would like to get an Advantium, however, my husband thinks we should just get a regular microwave. His reasoning is, if we are getting a top quality range, why would I need to use the Advantium? Or, if I would use the Advantium, why would I need to get this beautiful and expensive range? So, I need some suggestions:is the Advantium overkill, or am I overstimating the amount of things I would actually make in it versus the Dacor? Help!

Comments (96)

• daninny
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So....
    BASIC question:
    Can the advantium be used as a toaster oven? Or would I have to buy a new toaster oven also?

• mart242
    17 years ago

I'm quite disappointed about the time frame for the updated 240... I'm moving in a new house in february and was planning of putting an advantium at that time!

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

I'm with you Mart242...
    a 240V wall oven is in my near future and I'd love to see the 240V model have some of the extra perks that were added to the latest 120V model.
    Nonetheless, for me, the attraction is the speedcooking, so I am firm on getting the 240V version.

Rob

• elljays
    17 years ago

We've ordered an Advantium 240. I wanted the speedcook capability, and it sounds like it can cook about anything a regular oven can. If it can roast a chicken, it's probably as much of a 2nd oven as I'll need. I would like the larger capacity of the 120 though.

• mart242
    17 years ago

Another problem for me: here in Canada, only the monogram advantium is available... can anyone confirm that the monogram 240 wall-oven is the same as the regular advantium 240 wall-oven?

I've looked at the spec but as seen in the past, they are not always up to date... Hopefully they'll update the monogram soon!

• elljays
    17 years ago

"Also, does anyone know if there are advantium recipes posted anywhere (other than GE's website)."

There is a yahoo group for Advantium owners to share info and recipes. I just signed on, so I don't know how helpful it will be.

• rcoop
    17 years ago

Hi,

I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Advantium and Trivection as this website really helped me when I did my appliance research. Our kitchen is not completely finished but we have been able to use our Monogram Advantium 240 and Trivection oven over the last two months (we also have a GE Monogram convection oven as I thought I needed it at the time).

Unilke the other Trivection/ Advantium users, we use our Trivection for almost every meal and our Advantium for specific tasks or reheating. I find the Trivection easier to convert and I can use my own baking sheets with it. Both are great for their own uses though.

When we were looking at the two ovens, I originally was going to get just a Trivection, as we did not microwave a ton before we remodelled. I think if you love to bake, cook in larger quantities, and don't have the time to play around with Advantium recipes- the Trivection is great. I would not live without it.

Since we normally get home late in the evening from work, the Trivection and Advantium are a life saver, it cuts are dinner times down significantly.

Here are some of our normal uses for the two ovens (as normal as one can be during renovations):

Advantium: filet, bagel bites, store french fries, cinnamon roles, regular microwavable foods, reheating (we use the microwave sensor reheat option), pizza

Trivection: cookies (cook more uniformly- opinions are mixed as to whether the uniformity is a good thing or not in our house), potatoes of any kind- our hour long preps take less then 15 minutes and taste better :-), cassoroles, chicken, bread, pizza etc

I bought the Trivection knowing I could always use it as a regular convection oven, but I have found that I Trivection everything with cookies being the only exception. I usually make a Trivection batch for my father and I, and a convection batch for my husband and Mom.

I still consider myself inexperienced with the Advantium and feel that I am not using it to its full capabilities.

• johnzane
    17 years ago

If you are looking for a demo of the Trivection or Advanium in San Francisco, I believe the high-end appliance store across from the building department and Discount Builders can help. They are very proud of their demo department, which looks like a TV cooking show set, complete with a fully stocked top-of-the-line Thermador refrigerator (I wish I could afford the $9k) and chefs onduty (a number of the salesmen are professional chefs, go figure). Unfortunately, they did not have the OTR Advantium, just the wall ovens, and I did not have the time to stay for a demo. The salespeople are VERY friendly and helpful, and unlike Cherin's (shabbyshabbyshabby), their showroom is beautiful, and has all the latest appliances, my favorites being Thermador and Viking, which make Dacor and DCS look crude by comparison, and Jennair look like the junk it is. Cherin's DOES have a Delonghi range on display, and though they have yet to sell one, it looks good!

I am a bachelor who rarely entertains, and am currently installing a new kitchen. I buy quality at discount, and decided early on it made no sense to waste money on an energy-hog commercial range when I only cook for myself and one other person most of the time. For those of you who care about energy conservation, the higher the power rating, the less time it takes to cook, which means less energy consumed. Time literally means money!

Also remember that commercial ranges are built to serve restaurants, which means they were made to be used all day long. They are NOT energy efficient, by any means. If you are not a professional chef (and this advice comes from one), don't bother with convection ovens that rely on fans (just another thing to break), but if you must have it, stick to an electric oven or dual fuel range. Remember, only electric ovens are self-cleaning.

I just bought the newest 220v stainless steel OTR Advanium from a contractor for $400 (such a deal!), after failing to find one on Ebay (more about this below). It will replace my Magic Chef microwave (excellent all stainless steel model from Costco for $100), my ugly countertop toaster oven (off to Goodwill), and also serve as the range hood. Below, I planned for either a gas or induction cooktop (the most energy efficient choice), and maybe later, a Viking or Thermador electric oven.

I would not have even bothered to consider a larger oven if my business partner were not such a great cook. But even she said she couldn't see spending over a grand just to cook turkeys, as long as the Advantium can do roasts and steaks as promised.

Still, I fell in love with the Thermador 30" ProHarmony dual-fuel stainless steel range. Mine is a twelve-foot long galley kitchen, and this true flush mount range, with it's bull-nose front trim, stainless steel pan (I hate porcelain pans), unique "warming" burner (turns itself on and off at intervals), flush convection fan, easy-sliding racks, and great compact design would fit perfectly, if not for the $3.5K sticker shock.

For those of you who are confused about whether you should or should not vent, beware! Venting is really important. You are not just protecting your home from unwanted steam and smells, but proper ventilation keeps any oven from overheating, which can burnout the electronics. Still, this model allows for installing special charcoal filters if you can only vent to your room. Perhaps there is someone out there who can comment on it's effectiveness?

If you, like myself, shop Ebay for bargains, be mindful. Some resellers are "improving" older model Advantiums with new stainless steel faces. The original models had plastic display covers, the new ones are glass. I almost bought one of these, until I took a closer look at the pictures, and realized the truth.

Personally, I don't like the 120v Advanium's appearance. It's gently bowed face and eyebrow window doesn't fit with the straight lines of most modern kitchens. The 220v models are flat-faced with a proper rectangular window. It doesn't call attention to itself, in keeping with proper design. I do wish the oven cavity was taller.

Final notes: Don't buy before Googling appliance recalls. The cheaper the appliance, the more get sold, increasing the odds for disgruntled buyers.

• mart242
    17 years ago

johnzane "Remember, only electric ovens are self-cleaning."

Wrong. My kitchenaid superba gas range (convection) is self cleaning and most good gas ranges are.

"For those of you who care about energy conservation, the higher the power rating, the less time it takes to cook, which means less energy consumed"
    Not necessarly. It's more about energy efficiency. The power rating just releases the energy faster so even if it cooks faster, you still use the same amount. Energy efficiency is what counts: for example, induction is ~90% efficient, gas is ~30%.

• mart242
    17 years ago

Sorry to bump this up...

How does the advantium handle reheating meat, pasta and other leftovers? Does it do a job as bad as a microwave when reheating meat? Leftover pizza?

A strong selling feature of the gaggenau combi steam oven is this. It reheats food perfectly and everything is moist. Day old bread comes out new. Pizza is better than the day before. I've convinced myself that I can do without the combi for steaming veggies (wasn't hard) but the reheating part worries me a bit more...

Thanks!

• danielle00
    17 years ago

Just got the Advantium 120 last week-- I'm using it while I'm waiting for the rest of my kitchen to become functional.

It is not big enough to prepare dinner for my entire family (6 people), but it is great for lunch or smaller quantities of food. I imagine it would be perfect size for a small family.

The frozen pizza came out crisp-- it was very fast. I was impressed.

Chicken nuggets were good (as good as they can be anyway)... reheating food with the sensor was great.

THis is a good appliance to have. I eliminated my wall oven during our remodel, and I think the Advantium 120 is an adequate substitute for a second oven (for my purposes at least).

• sjay
    17 years ago

Would food, like baked potatoes have that 'microwave test'?

• sjay
    17 years ago

OOps, that should read 'microwave taste' above!

Also, am I correct that this new model would eliminate the need for a warming drawer? We were going to get a miele warming drawer, but this solution sounds better. The one downfall is that I think this has to be installed above counter height and not on my island. Does anyone know the reasoning behind installing this above counter height?

• needanap
    17 years ago

I played with an advantium in a local showroom, and it was pretty noisy when running (like my current microwave). For those of you who have one at home, does the noise bother you? When used as a warming drawer, is it just as loud?

• loraccia
    17 years ago

Yes, the advantium is noisy when running, however the noise doen't bother me. (Now when the center island downdraft is on... THAT"S NOISY)

I am very pleased with my Advantium purchase. I chose the 120 Monogram and have it installed above a convection oven. I have owned it for about a month and have used it to speed-bake convenience foods for my teenagers, roast chickens, microwave oatmeal in the morning, reheat leftovers with the microwave sensor function, and bake small portions of cookies, rolls, and pastries. I made a fabulous flounder dish in it the other night-- it was the first time I actually cooked fish in an oven (usually I saute it in too much butter). BTW, I got the recipe off a Yahoo/Advantium group that posts new recipes and ways of using the Advantium.

Again, I must thank this forum for turning me on to the Advantium. When I started my kitchen redo project a few months ago I had never even heard of the oven.

• mart242
    17 years ago

Bump on this thread..

How is the advantium 240 when it comes to reheating left overs?

A regular microwave does a pretty bad job and I tend to rehead left overs quite a bit (busy work week, not always time to cook with kids) so I might be considering getting a gaggenau combi instead of an advantium (it cooks pretty quickly with the steam, according to what I've read but it's so expensive that I'd rather not buy it!).

Thanks!

• hoosier_engineer
    17 years ago

There is no comparison between a microwave and the Advantium. It can bring day-old refrigerated pizza back to like-new condition. Considering that it can take a raw whole chicken to browned and delicious in 20 minuets, and make great cod fillets and baked potatoes, reheating is a walk in the park for it. For one or two servings, most things are ready in less than five minutes (refrigerated).

I don't get the idea of reheating with steam, but I have never seen it so I have no idea if it is superior or not.

Since the latent heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories per gram and it would take only about 75 calories to raise the same gram of water from room temperature to boiling, you can see how much energy is contained in the steam (over 7 times). It definitely would heat the food quickly. I just wonder what they use to re-vaporize the water so the food item doesn't come out damp or soggy. Maybe somebody out there can explain?

• mart242
    17 years ago

I don't get the idea of reheating with steam either... to me, everything would turn mushy! I'd have to see it...

• mechz
    17 years ago

I bought an advantium 220 new off ebay for 299 in almond color. This is the oven I use all the time now. I only wish that I had known they existed sooner.

• Helen Sklar
    17 years ago

Is the Thermador Speedcook Oven basically the equivalent of the Advantium, and if so, which Advantium, the 120 or the 240? The Thermador Speedcook specs state that it is dual-rated 120/208-240 volts. I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps someone could help me out with this. Thanks.

• greentank
    17 years ago

I just bought the Thermador Speedcook oven (CM301), and I view it as the equivalent of a Trivection, not an Advantium. The Thermador microwave is only 650W, and it cooks with conventional cooking elements, not halogen.

• kkayjj
    17 years ago

I am looking at the GE Advantium 120 Volt microwave. My OTR Microwave died after 12 years. I am concerned about cleaning the stainless steel inside and using their metal pan. I am hooked on all my pamered chef non stick cookwear so don't know if i will be able to get used to a regular metal pan.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Also can I use my small non stick cookie sheet in there or does it need to be something special. Thanks!!! Karen

• peggross1
    17 years ago

I found this video demo on GE's website to be very instructive and helpful. Although he uses an OTR Advantium for the demo, I'm not sure if it is the 240 or 120 - I THINK it is the 240.

• mart242
    17 years ago

smarge, it's the 240.

• espressivo
    16 years ago

Bump!

When did they first start making the 30" 240v advantium? I am looking to buy a used one about 2 years old, but wanted to make sure it was still the updated model.

Thanks!

• wulingren
    16 years ago

How is Advantium compared with a Dacro speed oven?
    We are thinking of putting in a Dacro convection,
    it'd be nice to match it up with a Dacro speed oven (to
    replace my old microwave and as a backup oven)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I'm new to this and planning a speed oven, this last question regarding Dacor speed ovens has not been answered, does anyone have it ?

• dadegregory
    16 years ago

mitchdesj- I have an advantium but Try a new thread with Dacor speed oven as the topic. Or just speed ovens. Good luck.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We have the 240 wall oven Advantium and the Gagg combi steam oven. The Gagg steam oven does a great job reheating plates of food, especially food you don't want to dry out or otherwise overcook. You put the plate of food on the grid, set the Gagg for 250 degrees & 60% steam, and it takes about 8 minutes. It isn't mushy or wet, just piping hot & like new. The Advantium MW function will of course reheat food much faster, but not as gently.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Is the Kenmore speedcook oven (link below) essentially a re-badged Advantium?

How messy do 240V Advantium interiors get when cooking meats? Are they more difficult to clean than conventional microwave ovens?

• kent39
    16 years ago

bump

• organic_s
    16 years ago

I'm very interested in the 120V wall oven, but was dismayed to watch the door flop open on the monogram style I was looking at. Has anyone had problems with the pull down door needing repairs? It isn't built like the "regular" oven doors that will stay where you put them.

• JanS
    13 years ago

Hi All,

This is an old thread, but I came across it when googling. I'm in a dilemma. In the current house I have an OTR 240 GE Profile Advantium and I LOVE it. It's 30 in side I learned in the last week.

In the new house, there are cut-outs in the wall oven / wall micro stack that are ONLY able to accommodate 27in width wall oven or wall micro.

So, I do understand that there's a 120 version of the Advantium in the 27 in width, but I really rather have the 240 version for Speedcooking.

Has anyone come across a 27in 240 model? I don't care whether it's Profile or Monogram. Those differences to me are just in the style and trim. I'm most interested in the Speedcook ability and I "think" I need the 240 power most importantly. I use my current OTR 240 (30in) Advantium for broiling steaks, baking potatoes, baking meatloaf and many other things. The only thing I don't do in it is cookies. I have a really good convection oven for most of my baking tasks. Granted I believe the Advantium (like the 240 model I have in the current house) can do baking of cookies and the like - I have tried since when I bake cookies I prefer the standard cookie sheet and that works better in the regular (convection) oven.

What I also like about Advantium is it's like having a second oven really. So for many meals I can split up baking duty between my slide-in range oven and my OTR Advantium.

So, any pointers to a 240 Speedcook type appliance in 27in?

Thanks Much!
    --jans

• JanS
    13 years ago

I thought I posted to this thread this past Monday, but have not seen it show up in searches nor in the first page of the Appliances forum, so I'm re-posting from my browser history:

Hi All,

This is an old thread, but I came across it when googling. I'm in a dilemma. In the current house I have an OTR 240 GE Profile Advantium and I LOVE it. It's 30 in side I learned in the last week.

In the new house, there are cut-outs in the wall oven / wall micro stack that are ONLY able to accommodate 27in width wall oven or wall micro.

So, I do understand that there's a 120 version of the Advantium in the 27 in width, but I really rather have the 240 version for Speedcooking.

Has anyone come across a 27in 240 model? I don't care whether it's Profile or Monogram. Those differences to me are just in the style and trim. I'm most interested in the Speedcook ability and I "think" I need the 240 power most importantly. I use my current OTR 240 (30in) Advantium for broiling steaks, baking potatoes, baking meatloaf and many other things. The only thing I don't do in it is cookies. I have a really good convection oven for most of my baking tasks. Granted I believe the Advantium (like the 240 model I have in the current house) can do baking of cookies and the like - I have tried since when I bake cookies I prefer the standard cookie sheet and that works better in the regular (convection) oven.

What I also like about Advantium is it's like having a second oven really. So for many meals I can split up baking duty between my slide-in range oven and my OTR Advantium.

So, any pointers to a 240 Speedcook type appliance in 27in?

Thanks Much!
    --jans

• manyquestions
    11 years ago

I just purchased the GE Advantium 120 Microwave Oven. My first impression hasn't been great. Wasn't ready for the install when it was delivered, and when I removed it from the box last weekend and plugged it in, it started running and the only way to turn it off was to unplug it or open the door. Called GE, and was told since it was past the seven day return period, I would have to schedule service. Called service and couldn't get a Saturday service date for TWO months. Brand new applicance that has never been used and they expect me to take off from work for them to service it. So I reinterate, so far I'm neither impressed by the applicance or by GE. I'll let you know how this is resolved.

• sssiwek
    10 years ago

Can I install (suspend) the GE Cafe Advantium (120V) CSA1201RSS over a counter-top (set to recirculating) instead of the range? The GE description used to say "over the range or counter" but the "expert" customer service reps say it can't be installed over a counter. What am I missing here? As long as you 1) don't box it in on the bottom; and, 2) set it to recirculate why would it NOT work over a counter? (We plan a full chimney vent over our GE Cafe Dual Fuel so we don't need a micro hood, but Advantium doesn't make a counter-top version.) My thought is GE want's to "up-sell" the large wall unit so it says the microwave MUST go over a range.

• wallycat
    10 years ago

I am also in debate about the advantium.

I think the key is to ask yourself what type of cooking you do. We were going to build a house when we relocated to the Pacific Northwest. I won't bother with reasons, but we ended up buying an existing house. In my previous house, we had a stove (cooktop and oven in one unit). It was what I had for 35+years and my biggest gripe was putting two big pans side by side on the burners.
    I was set to get a rangetop 6-burner rangetop and put a wall oven under the rangetop. This would give me space and an oven I could pick/choose. As it turns out, natural gas is not available here so I had to reconsider things with either electric or propane. Plus, the house we bought had an electric downdraft (blech) cooktop and one ge profile 27" oven.
    I ended up dumping the cooktop and bought induction.
    For my lifestyle, I stovetop cook more than oven cook so I focused on that portion of it.
    I do some casseroles, broil and occasionally do whole chickens or a slab-o-fish. If we can't grill it, poach it, stir fry it or pan sear it, THEN it goes into the oven.
    To me, the advantium has the advantage of being a second oven during holidays yet cooking quickly PLUS being a microwave. It almost sounds too good to be true.
    It is just DH and I and we don't entertain frequently, so a small oven would be just fine for us.

Reading the oven threads here, you can see that it is reaally hard to find a "perfect" one.

So I'm at the point of asking myself daily if it were here, would I use it more? Is it necessary (DH is retired so time is less important in meal prep)? Is it truly cost saving if it cooks faster and doesn't heat up the house.......and the saga continues.
    Good luck with your decisioin.

• whit461
    10 years ago

We use our Advantium daily as a speed or convection oven. Just two of us and my MIL. Certainly a learning curve, especially timing with other dishes or changing from speed oven to MW, but it is so nice not to have the big oven going an to cook food in less than half the normal time. Ours is a 30" 240V wall unit.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

You shoukd be able to install the OTR model over counter as long as you still meet the install specs for clearance, etc. there are people here that have done that successfully. I assume the rep you spoke to misunderstood what you were asking. You can't treat it like a regular MW and set it on a shelf, etc, but as long as it's properly mounted there's no difference. What if you just never use the range? Dosn't matter what it's over, just that it's properly mounted.

I'm still waiting to try my 240v wall unit. The cabinet front was ordered too big, so can't install it yet. It's just sitting in the cabinet staring at me. So excited to try it out!

• nepool
    9 years ago

Hello,

Resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone knows if they advantium (or Bosch or other speed ovens) ALWAYS use microwave technology even in broil or convection mode? Some of my relatives are not keen on microwaves for health reasons, so wondering if its possible to heat up some chick or pizza in 'normal' broil mode or convection mode using a speed oven. Is there a setting for that?

Thanks!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

You can use the advantium without nukes.
    In speed mode, you choose top heat, bottom heat, microwave power, and convection. Set the nukes to 0.
    Plain convection does not use nukes either

• plllog
    9 years ago

Yes, the Microwave and Speed Cook settings use microwaves but the convection cook setting just uses circulating hot air. In theory, you could also create a speed setting that only uses the halogen and convection, but not the microwaves, though you'd have to trial and error it to see if it's worth it. It might just get the outside done way too fast and leave the inside raw.

Microwaves don't actually do anything to the food that's unhealthy unless you let it get overcooked--they just speed up the molecules--but to each his own. Just make sure that they don't revile a machine that has the potential to create microwaves before you buy. But if you just mean you want to be able to convection cook (hot air) only to avoid an argument, yes, there's no need to tell them that it's also a microwave.

• brightm
    9 years ago

It's my understanding that some speed ovens broil and some don't, but I don't recall what brand does what. If that's important to you, best that you see if my reno weary memory is right. ;)

• Lynn Nealis
    7 years ago

My microwave died, so I was trying to decide between a regular microwave or a micro/convection. When I went to the appliance store I was confronted with a third option, the GE Advantium. This has to be the GE Profile version that goes above the range, as I live in a condo and that is what will fit/work. Any insight into the pros and cons of the Advantium versus just the plain micro/convection combo would be much appreciated. I don't want to spend an extra $400 if the Advantium isn't that much better than the micro/convection.

• johnzane
    7 years ago

I've had the Advantium SCA2001Bss03 240v micro/convection oven for several years (made in July 2002). I use it everyday, works like a charm. I'm very happy with how quickly it bakes and broils, convection really makes for quick meals. I bought this new, but for about $400, because it was surplus from a model home. I had to have a 240v line put in with the installation, but it was well worth the added expense. I went with the higher power model after reading too many bad reviews of the lower power model. My sister loves it so much, she's planning on buying one for herself!

• Lynn Nealis
    7 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately, I live in a condo and putting in a 240v line isn't an option.

• pimlicohouse
    5 years ago

We are currently using our second Advantium, now with a convection oven. When we purchased the first one I also bought a convection range. Now with the second Advantium having a convection oven I rarely use my convection range. This 240v does everything you need it to do, and it will fit a 9x13”in dish. We used our first Advantium (purchased at Sears along with a service policy). We kept a service policy on it for 15 yrs and when it could not be fixed, Sears replaced it with a brand new one that had the convection oven. I would not buy an expensive range today. I have found that the Advantium 240v when used correctly will save you time and $$ over years of use.

• B Barrett
    3 years ago

Some people suffered a total failure of their Advantium after the warranty expired. Anyone who this happened to willing to pass on their metal plates and cooking implements used inside the oven? We have the older advantium built in (ZSC2001) and our pieces were lost in a move.

• Nicholo Sartor
    3 years ago

That stinks. I may have an extra one leftover from a previous house. I've had 3 of them over the years. I wouldn't say it's in great condition though. They do sell them new at outrageous prices. https://www.amazon.com/GENERAL-ELECTRIC-Advantium-Metal-WB49X10240/dp/B00J7D0FP6/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B00J7D0FP6&psc=1

• B Barrett
    3 years ago

Thanks Nicholo, I would appreciate getting them from you. Don't want to buy new. I'm at bbbacresAThotmail.com