Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickc_gw

Electrolux Slide-in Range install help needed

rickc
13 years ago

My granite countertop has front lip that sticks out 1 3/4 inches from the cabinet fronts. The granite lip on the front of the counter prevents slide-in range from sliding back as far as it should. Does the granite installer need to notch out granite lip on each side of the range opening in order for the range to slide back so the stop goes against the cabinet? Here are pictures of range and counter: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick-19247/4495448055/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick-19247/4496085130/in/photostream/

Comments (34)

• gwentm
    13 years ago

My appliance salesman mentioned that some cabinets require a notch and gave me the following link which provides instructions to the installer. I was told that since I will have slab doors I won't require the notch. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specifications Document (pdf)

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have this and intall directions but directions hard to decipher. I do see instructions say "Formed front edge counterops require molded edge to be shaved flat 3/4" from each corner opening". I didn't realize granite countertops fit into this category. Most countertops I have seen overhang front of cabinet. Will granite installer be able to cut 3/4" from each lip back to cabinet front edge now that granite already in? Anyone with this type of range or has knowledge of installation, please chime in. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Range and in also can see counter top with 1 3/4

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

That bit about shaving the front of the countertop has to do with those that have a raised front edge or lip. Yours does not have this. It does NOT mean that the front edge is chopped off, but that the rolled part (if it exists) is flattened down.

However, there is also a measurement of no more than 1 1/2" thick. What is the thickness at the front edge?

the unit will not go back against the back of the cabinet. It should go back to a point where the front of the oven door is flush (or just about flush) with the cabinet doors. Or if the oven door is thicker, the unit should go back to a point where the oven (with the doors open) is flush with the face of the cabinet. It looks like there is about 2-9/16" overhang on the unit from the front of the oven door to the edge of the control panel. You have 1-3/4" from the face of the cabinet.

I've attached the installation guide for the radiant slide in range. Look at figure 9 on page 8. Does this apply to your install? That is, what is the width of the cutout at the front of the countertop?

Here is a link that might be useful: slide-in range installation guide

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The opening is 30" wide for range. My problem is that the lip on on the counter (granite overhanging front of cabinet) is 1 3/4" in depth. The top front triangular shaped part of the range is wider than 30" ( approx 31 1/4"). If I don't cut the lip section of the counter top to 31 1/2 opening, my range will stick out 1 3/4" further out into the room.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Rick, that range is designed to stick out a lot. Does your stick out more than the photos on the E'lux website?

Here is a link that might be useful: E'lux photos

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

that upper control panel part WILL stick out an inch or so. The oven door should be nearly flush with the cabinet door panels.

Do you mean 30" of cabinet opening? I mean the distance from the front of the countertop on the left to the right, not the cabinets themselves.

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, one member sent pictures of his slide-in range installed which I have linked here. In his installation, the countertop lip is not notched and the range sticks out the depth of the lip. What I want to do is to notch both sides of the lip section of the granite countertop so that the opening for range is 31 1/2" back to the front of cabinet. The rest of the countertop would have 30" opening for range. Any thoughts, suggestions regarding notching lip to allow range to slide back more.

Here is a link that might be useful: not my range or kitchen but shows range sticking out because lip

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Actually, that picture isn't bad. The front of the stove is almost flush with the front of the cabinets, which is normal.

If you want to go further back, then cut away! Just be aware of the rear depth (where it will hit the countertop in the back).

Since it's granite, the stone guys need to do it. It WILL generate dust, so cover things up.

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks weedmeiste - my granite lip is more than the picture of the other range install as I have 1 3/4" lip. I notice the electrolux pictures of the induction range on their site shows range close to even with cabinet which is what I would like (the oven sides with door open close to even with cabinet fronts).

• bhoublon
    13 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier to cut off a part of the triangular metal thing at the stove? It looks like it could be easily removed.
    I would be very hesitant to cut away at the granite.
    Seriously, this does not look like a good design to me.

• guinn
    13 years ago

I was also thinking of cutting the triangle piece. I am going to have an issue installing this range as well. I do not have the .75" on each side of the cutout opening that is needed for the overhang of the top piece (I have full overlay cabinet doors that are on both sides of the range opening, so I need to do something).
    How feasible is it to cut the range, and does anybody have any other ideas what I could do?

Thanks

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the granite installer came today. I decided to not notch the front sides (lip) of granite on each side of the opening. The range sticks out more into the room, but doesn't look bad. The main reason that I didn't notch sides of granite in front was that by doing so would be non standard opening for the range and would be a problem if I ever got another range. I struggled with this decision but in the end, it is the better option.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Range installed with no cut-out

• guinn
    13 years ago

Look really good. I may have to cut the doors on the cabinets or figure something out if the triangle piece interferes with the door opening.

On your stove, is that triangle piece plastic or metal, and does it continue out around the whole front of the unit?

Thanks

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

I think it was wise to leave the granite alone. After reading through this thread, I sent a panic note to my fabricator, who called and walked me through the spec sheet to show what the notching in the counter was for, and all the width and depth measurements as well.

Since the unit is 25 3/4" deep at the base, and the cabinets minus overlay doors are 24", it will stick out 1 3/4" past the cabinet frame -- no, more than that, because of the bridge counter piece behind it. The back of the base of the range will not be flush with the wall. From what I can tell, the top should be out 4" from the edge of the counter, and the base will be more than 2" out from the cabinets.

In the photo from warmfridge, it shows overlay cabinet doors, so it looks more flush.

They also pointed out that in the photo with the laminate top provided by rickc, the triangular piece appears to be out of place, as though the range were shoved too far back and that piece pushed forward.

How far out does yours sit up top and at the base of the range, rickc? I agree that at least from the angle you show, it looks just fine, like it is supposed to.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

The delivery truck just came with the range but since we don't have counters until Monday, he advised that we wait and take delivery then so he can install it. He said the counter people wouldn't want to mess with anything that is not their product. So we sent him away and hope that the appliance store won't charge us for a 2nd delivery.

He did make sure to warn me that the range would stick out from the counter about 4" (and this he volunteered before I asked). He said many people are surprised at how far it comes out in front of the counter.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Its as if Elux designed this thing thinking that countertop overhangs do not protrude past the front of the cabinet door. My old ones are like that, but I'm sure others have larger overhangs, like 2"-3". I guess that's why they include the knotching instruction in the install guide.

• rickc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jsweenc- I'm not understanding your question -"How far out does yours sit up top and at the base of the range?"
    With the door open, the distance out from cabinet front to sides of oven is 2". At the widest point in the curved front of the range top, the range extends out about 3 5/8" in front of the granite counter.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Their drawings assume the lip (or the overhang) of the countertop is 1-1/8".

The bottom of the unit will go against the back wall. The oven bottom will then come out 25-3/4" from the back wall. My cabinets are 24" deep with a 1" door for a total of 25 inches. What is not clear from the drawings is whether this 25-3/4" measurement is taken at the middle of the oven or the side. This is important because the oven front bows outward in the middle. I could assume that it is taken in the middle and the actual measurement at either edge is more like 25" even and hence would line up with the cabinet doors.

The top of the oven is skewed forward. They give the total depth from the back wall to the front of the top (at the control panel) to be 28-5/16".

js: the back of the unit goes against the wall and is held down by the, er, hold-down bracket. The width of the countertop piece behind the unit should not be not fixed. It should vary with the width of the countertop. The depth from the front of the countertop is between 22-7/8" - 23-1/4". For my 25-1/4" counters, the back piece (no backspash) would be around 3" wide, not 4".

I think the question is, do you want it to line up with the front of the countertop or do you want it to line up with the front of the cabinet doors? If I had it, I would want the front edge of the sides of the oven doors to line up with the cabinet doors on either side. I would then cut the countertop to fit, which would be a function of how much overhang there is on the countertop. YMMV ( as in, your measurements may vary)

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

I just got my range delivered today (so excited!). It will be about 6 weeks to install, but I am sure glad that I saw this thread before I finalized plans with the cabinet maker.

I didn't remove all of the packing, but I took some measurements: I get 25.5" from the back to the front of the oven door at the side of the range. There is a small ridge on the back side of the range that I can't measure easily, but it looks to be about 1/4", so the total back to front would be the 25 3/4" that is on the spec sheet. The oven does bow out a little in the center of the oven, but I don't have any way to measure how much.

Before I ordered this range, I saw the post linked below about how the owner of an electric range had to adjust the cabinets on either side of the range because the doors were interfering with the oven door. Because of that post, I modified my layout to add 1/2" filler on both sides of the range (1/2" isn't much, but I don't have room to spare...). I think I will ask the cabinet maker to make the filler more like a panel that covers the gray sides, akin to the panels on the side of a fridge. It won't look great, but I think it will look better than the sides of the range.

If anyone has any comments or ideas about this plan, I'd love to hear them.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to pic with ELECTRIC range installed

• Lindsey (CA 9b)
    13 years ago

This range is currently sitting in my living room in it's box. I'm in the process of getting estimates for custom cabinets. From the installation instructions, there are two important criteria for the cabinets and countertop to ensure a proper fit without having to perform any modifications to the cabinets.

Cabinet doors on either side of the opening (30" +- 1/16") should be no closer than 1" from the cabinet opening as the range frame (or flange) overlaps the cabinet opening.

The countertop overhang from the cabinet edge should be 1 1/8" or less. If the overhand is longer, the range frame will not touch the cabinet opening and there will be a gap that will need to be dealt with.

I examined that triangular piece on either side of the control panel and it's not just a piece of metal you can trim, because the back of the triangular piece is enclosed where it touches the countertop.

As mentioned earlier, the control panel is designed to "stick out"...

I sure wish I can use it now before the new cabinets are installed, but I would need to modify my existing countertop which I don't want to deal with.

• Lindsey (CA 9b)
    13 years ago

I need to correct my previous posting.

After examining the pictures posted earlier of the side view of uninstalled range, there doesn't appear to be a "flange". I just assumed there was. I opened the box and examined the side and it appears the range just slides into the cabinet opening, like a refrigerator slides into an opening. In addition to the 1" door/drawer setback requirement, it shows 31 1/2" critical measurement between drawer/door fronts on either side of the range. That being said, it appears the drawer/door front setback requrement is to allow a minimum of 3/4" to 1" between the range and the drawer/door fronts on either side of the range.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

That crazy install spec is so difficult to figure out!

lbfong: I interpreted the 31 1/2" critical measurement to be the top of the range because the lines extend up to the top. I am not sure what to make of the 1" requirement for the neighboring cabinet doors. Looking at my range (not installed), the oven doors extend a bit (maybe 1/8") beyond the sides of the oven box, for a total measurement of about 30 1/4", so full overlay cabinet doors with a 30" opening would interfere. See the link in my prior post - I think that is what was going on there (even though that was the electric range, I think the dimensions are the same with lots of identical parts).

I think the 1" on both sides would be ideal, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. I think 1/4" on each side would be sufficient. You certainly wouldn't want a visible gap there if you can avoid it, so plan accordingly. I'm not sure what someone who was installing this in existing full-overlay cabs with a typical 30" opening would do?

Weedmeister explains it well in the post above. It looks to me like the only way to not have the range stick out some from the front of the cabinets is to have a deeper counter than is typical for 24" base cabinets by at least 1 3/4" (e.g. range in an island) AND notch out the granite in the overhang area, which seems to be a bad idea, AND have only a 1 1/8" countertop overhang. I suppose one could try to cut the metal triangular piece, but I totally agree with lbfong that that does not look feasible.

I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts trying to figure this out! The pics posted by rickc are very helpful.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

While I appreciate everyone's insights into these installation problems, I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be easier just to wait until E'lux starts making their freestanding version. One of their reps previously told me this would be available in June.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

rickc, what I was asking was how far from front of counter to front of range at it's furthest outward point, and how far from cabinet frame to front of oven frame; i.e., how far out is it protruding? The measurements you gave answered my question. Are you happy with the way it is installed?

weedmeister, according to the notes at the bottom of the spec sheet, the notching is for counters that have a molded edge at the top front. Since the range would not be able to sit flush but could only be lowered to the height of the rounded part, it requires cutting enough away for it to be lowered. And for any counter that extends 2-3", I guess it could also apply but that is not stated. It also says that a flat counter needs no special prep, but that's also assuming 1 1/8" overhang.

You are correct about the back of the range. I was looking at the part above the very bottom of the base, the 27 1/2", and saw that it lined up with the very top of the cooktop rim at the back. I didn't notice that the bottom was further back, but I see it is 28 5/16" at its deepest.

Sorry I wasn't clear in so many areas! I switched from one location to another without stating it. When I said 4" from the edge of the counter, I meant the front edge of the counter out to the front edge of the 28 5/16". rickc's is 3 5/8", which is what I would expect from the specs.

After talking with fabricator, I was convinced that the 31 1/2" critical was for door setback, but looking at it more closely, I agree with you, pudgybaby. The lines go up to the hatched area, so the 31 1/2" would be the distance between the notched areas in the molded counters on either side.

I wasn't sure what you meant about a visible gap, though. Do you just mean a place where the cabinet frame would be showing, or a gap between range and cabinet frame? I am assuming you meant the former. Just wanted to be clear.

I'm with you about the specs. Ugh. The more I look at the them, the more I am feeling that something will not be right; too many variables and confusing measurements. The other thing I can't figure out is the 1/2" and 3/8" min around the rim of the counter cutout. What is that for? Does that also have to do with the molded counters?

The counters go in Monday morning and the range will be installed in the afternoon. I plan not to sign off on the counters until the range is in and GC and DH have given it a thumbs up.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

warmfridge, if I had known about it in Feb., I may have waited! But since we are about to take delivery, I guess we'll stick with it. Sounds like it may be a good option for you though, as long as elux is not promising more than they can deliver timewise again, as they have done for this one. (Maybe +/- 3-4 weeks is the norm though.) You can be one of the first and tell us all about it but (hopefully) not leave any of us regretting the slide-in.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

js: there is one set of 'knotching' if your counters have that molded edge so that the flange of the unit will sit flat on the counter. There is yet another set of knotching required (perhaps) if your countertop overhangs more than 1-1/8 inch. This second item is described on page 8 figure 9 of the installation guide.

The 1/2" around the counter cutout is where the flange on top of the unit will overhang the countertop.

I'm guessing the 1" door requirement has to do with if you have cabinet doors that open TOWARDS the oven. If you do, you need to have at least 1" of space so that the door doesn't hit the oven when you open the cabinet. If your doors open AWAY from the oven, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't think the unit overlaps the face of the cabinet at the front by that much (1") but would actually be flush with it, like a fridge.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

weedmiester, sorry one more time, I read the previous posts a few days ago and didn't re-read until just now, but I saw where you were explaining the molded edge to someone else. I misread one of your posts thinking you were confused about it. I'm the one who is confused!

I hadn't really examined the installation guide, was just looking at the one page spec sheet. But in looking at it now, all I see in Fig. 9 is where it specifies how to prepare if you have an existing opening of 29". It takes me a while to figure out diagrams like this, so I may be overlooking what you are referring to in Fig. 9 about the overhang greater than 1 1/8". Or maybe you're extrapolating what's provided for 29" cutout to apply to a greater overhang?

I've read so many other things wrong so far in this document, I wouldn't be surprised if it's staring me in the face!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

So I got my range installed Monday but electricians still had to wire, so they moved it out and put it back in Wed. My concerns seemed to be unfounded. As far as I can tell, it's in as it needs to be.

Before electricians

After electricians

• guinn
    13 years ago

I got my range installed this weekend. It went in beautifully, and it does not interfere with the full overlay doors at all. I was excited that the cabinet bases would not have to be modified!

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

It wasn't until today I realized that j's cabinet doors do not extend beyond the cabinet itself. My cabinets are 24" deep, but the doors sit on top of that for a total of 25" from the face of the door to the back of the cabinet. So in my case, since the countertop extends about 1-1/8", the oven would appear much more 'flush' with the cabinets as opposed to these pictures where it extends an inch past the cabinet face.

• gwentm
    13 years ago

My Electrolux Induction was just delivered today but it won't be installed for a few weeks. I am wondering how you are liking yours.

• darealbiz
    13 years ago

Does anyone remember what the back of the Electrolux slide-in units look like? Anyone have a picture? Is there a space at the bottom (wall-side) for electrical connections?

I'm curious if I need to have the outlet moved before installation day. The existing outlet (compatible with a free-standing range) is surface mounted on the floor for a freestanding range - and sticks out about ~3 inches from the wall, a couple inches high with the plug (maybe 5). Trying to figure out if I need an eletrician come in and move the receptable to a wall box per the installation instructions?

Is there an identation on the slide-in similiar to a free-standing range?

My countertop is 25.5 inches deep with no backsplash where the stove is going. I ordered the backsplash kit which is the manual says will take up 24 of the 25.5 depth. So is there enough depth behind the stove to handle the floor mounted plug?

• cancoi
    13 years ago

Oh, we need to know this too! Will be looking at this range and need to spec for it. Inquiring minds wish to know!

• gwentm
    13 years ago

Hope these help. The back of the range was hard to get to since we are in the midst of construction.