Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good basic blender

Posted by ctycdm (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 23:45

Ok so we are slowly moving back in to our refurbed 27 year old kitchen. The blender is a Osterizer that was a wedding present in '83! Still works, but oil leaks and it looks pretty worn and tired. So what is the go to blender these days? looking for good quality that will crush ice (love Margaritas:) other than that no frills...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good basic blender

Last Fall Cook's Illustrated published their results of their most recent ratings of blenders. Not surprisingly, an expensive Vitamix 5200 was ranked #1.

But the less expensive (but still expensive at $199) Breville shared the #1 rank.

From Cook's Illustrated, September 2012:

"The Hemisphere Control by Breville
With a curved jar, six well-configured blades, and a relatively powerful (750-watt) motor, this blender excelled at almost every task and at less than half the cost of our co-winner."

I bought a Kitchenaid 5 speed blender two years ago and have been happy with it so far. It does an OK job on ice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated equipment reviews: blenders

o
RE: Good basic blender

I was just watching a commercial last night that was interesting.
Was for a "Ninja System", has a more powerful motor than the Vitamix (2HP), better blade design and only cost $160.00.
Also comes with 1 72oz pitcher a 64oz processor bowl, 2 single serve 16oz cups that you can blend in directly and a dough making blade.
Comes with a 5 year fix or replace in home warranty.
and a free 60 day tryout shipping paid both ways.

I bought a Cuisinart blender a couple years ago, it is basically a piece of crap and I would not recommend it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blender review

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here