Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what gas dryer do you suggest

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 23:23

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a gas dryer? I tried posting this question over a week ago on the laundry forum, but no bites. I guess most people are choosing electric. I have heard that gas dryers dry clothes faster and around here it will be cheaper to dry a load than with electric.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what gas dryer do you suggest

Most posters in the Laundry forum are fans of European,German in particular,front load machines and electric dryers.And to a lesser extent the South Korean counterparts.

IMO, Whirlpool still makes the best gas dryers.

There is the Whirlpool Duet Steam WGD94HEX.

And since Whirlpool now owns Maytag there is its version the Maytag Maxima EcoConserve Series MGD6000X.

There is also Speed Queen. They have three standard dryers which vary little in options plus the extra fancy Imperial.

Speed Queen has earned a reputation for outstanding long term durability but if something goes wrong getting parts and service can be a bear. They still don't have a 1-800 number for residential customers only commercial customers.

o

Do you have a gas line already installed for a dryer? Gas heat? Gas water heater? Gas range? Fireplace?

o

Deeageaux,

Thanks for letting us know about the Whirlpool and Maytag models. I will check them out for sure!

Laat2,

Thanks for your response. We have a gas water heater and gas heat. We will have a gas fireplace, and want a gas dryer. All gas facilities will be on the same side of the house. We may also run a line for a gas bbq outside. We don't want a gas stove. This is a addition with a gut to most of the current house, so these lines can go in no problem.

Carol

o

I don't know about the availability of Speed Queen parts (I've never tried), but I used a form on their support page to ask a question yesterday and I had an email answer in an hour.

o

I mixed my existing Frigidaire gas dryer with a Miele washer. The dryer is 20 and the miele 220V is 10. Gas is signifigantly more efficient than electric.

o

We have the Whirlpool Duet (not Steam, though) and the dryer has worked just fine. We've had to have the washer portion serviced a couple of times, but no real big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here