Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmizzy05

48'Rangetop-Viking/Wolf/Some other brand?

jmizzy05
16 years ago

I do a lot of cooking for a large extended family. I am looking for a 48" rangetop so I can cook multiple dishes at once.

I like the porcelainized cooking surface making clean up easy and am considering Viking or Wolf as they both have this surface. I am surprised to see the number of negative experiences with Viking.

Does anyone have a 48" Viking or Wolf rangetop that they would recommend?

I am not too keen on the price of either. Is there another brand with similar features, especially the porcelainized cooking surface, that would work?

Comments (5)

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We have a 36" 6 burner DCS all gas range that we are thrilled with. It has sealed burners in a brushed stainless steel that is easy to clean.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Are you looking at sealed burners or open burners? We have the 48" Wolf, open-burner, 8-burner configuration...Only about 3 or 4 weeks of using it now, but after about a day of getting used to it, all of us here love it. I couldn't find anything close to it in features/performance/power/reputation/history, especially since we have propane, except BlueStar. I thought the Wolf would be easier to keep clean, since the porcelain enamel surface is fairly easy to wipe out, but comparing that to the cast iron grates, I can see where they would be more forgiving, developing a patina and a seasoning over time...meaning I can now understand why people might like the BlueStar's cast iron surfaces better. I have things that are caught by the drip pans and try to burn or stick that might just fall through to the tray underneath in the BlueStar. I don't regret my choice, but now see both sides of the BlueStar vs Wolf discussions, and would consider them pretty equal. I do like that every burner on the Wolf has the same power so I am free to use them all to the best advantage in each situation.

All the options out there are expensive and I wanted value over a lower initial price. I didn't want to regret my decision and from what I learned about its consistent performance and the way the company stands behind their products, I thought Wolf was my best bet.

• jmlranch
    16 years ago

We have a 48" Viking slide-in cooktop with 4 burners, griddle, and grill: Big mistake.

The burners don't get hot enough to quickly boil water, sear meat, or do stir-fry nor do they go low enough to simmer. The griddle doesn't get hot enough to do anything other than function as a warming plate. The cast iron grate over the grill cracked in two places and the "smoke generator" under the grate warped from the heat and now prevents the grate from seating properly.

Next time I'll go with BlueStar.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I have a 36" Wolf rangetop and double ovens. If I were a shorter person, I would have gone with a 48" range and gained more counterspace, but I'm very happy with both.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Wanted to add, my ovens were replaced, and my experiences with Wolf and their service reps were only the best. Even better, everyone I talked to -- the sales people, the repair folks, anyone else, have told me that repairs on a new Wolf are truly rare -- and having to replace one is practically unheard of.