Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditmaspork

AR Open Burner Range. Has anyone seen one yet?

ditmaspork
13 years ago

Has anyone seen or know when the American Range Performer Series Open Burner Range might be coming out, or what the prices will be?

I've noticed that they've posted the specs on their site.

http://www.americanrange.com/residential-specks.html

What are the pros/cons of American Range?

I'm quite intrigued. It's like an 'Open Burner Arms Race.' BS 22k ...CC 23k ...AR 25k!!!

Comments (31)

• BrightFutureFoods
    12 years ago

Bump. Would also like to hear anyone who has cooked on one of these. Anyone?

• TonySak
    12 years ago

You can see pictures on page 9 of this catalog. the basin seems to be a enamel black which is nice. it also looks like a tighter burner to drip basin? fit than the CC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures on Page 9

• ecf1216
    12 years ago

I have been (exhaustively) researching gas ranges for a few months, and went to the local AR distributor to cook on the "Heritage" series range (all gas, sealed burners). They sent me home with the catalog, and I, too, was interested in the open burner "Performer" series.

I called American Range directly, and they said the ranges should be available to see/purchase in early- to mid-July.

Manufacturer's pricing:

30", 4 burners: $2199
    36", 6 burners: $4199

I am interested to see how these ranges perform. In the catalog, there is a list of features and benefits (pg 32) that indicates the ovens are different in the Performer Series vs. the Heritage Series.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

I noticed the other day that Dvorson's (Sausalito, CA) has added these to their site, with links to the spec sheets for all models. No prices, though, you have to call them. I am going to call them soon, if I find out any more details from them I will post.

They look really nice in pictures...can't wait to see them in the real world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dvorson's AR Performer-Series Page

• David_V
    12 years ago

Can anyone decipher the burner layout?

Literature notes there are small, medium, and large burners, but it doesn't (as far as I could tell) detail the arrangement.

• burntfingers
    12 years ago

David V, I think AR let's you specify the burner arrangement you want. Will have to check the catalogue tho. If not I'll post again.

• User
    12 years ago

I also noticed that they didn't use stainless around the burners, and have a slightly different rating on the broiler than the Heritage. The knobs are slightly different too, the Heritage has a separate knob for the broiler, but the other new models use the oven knob for both.

I wonder why they did those changes, I thought that maybe it lowers the price some for those people who want open burners.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

The attached link leads to a PDF of the operating manual for the Performer series. At page 27, it shows the burner layout for the 36" 6-burner model:

Left Front, Right Front and Center Rear = Large (25k BTU)
    Left Rear and Right Rear = Medium (18k BTU)
    Center Front = Small (12k BTU)

Don't see layout for the 30" or 36" 4-burner w/ grill or griddle anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Performer Manual

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

I also noticed that they didn't use stainless around the burners,

I would have preferred cast iron but the black enamel will not darken or "stain" as opposed to the stainless steel.

and have a slightly different rating on the broiler than the Heritage.

The sealed burner range has a 30k oven burner and broiler capable of 1500 degrees.

The open burner range has a 28k oven burner and broiler capable of 1800 degrees.

I wonder why they did those changes, I thought that maybe it lowers the price some for those people who want open burners.

The knobs match the Cuisine sealed burner range.

I don't think it is about price.

More that cooks that prefer open burner ranges are about functionality.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

Good News! I just got an email from Sierra Select (who are American Range's local distributor for my part of California) informing me that they installed a live Performer in their San Francisco showroom last week. They also said that as far as they are aware they are generally shipping and available now.

I plan to go see the range very soon, and when I do I will take pictures and do a posting with my impressions.

• TonySak
    12 years ago

I guess range tops aren't even on the radar screen yet.

• jddar
    12 years ago

jsceva, yes, go soon, l'm looking forward to you posting your impressions. I had pretty much decided on the BlueStar 30-inch RNB but this new AR open burner also interests me.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

I will be seeing it next tuesday or wednesday.

• BrightFutureFoods
    12 years ago

jsceva,

Very much looking forward to your feedback. Intended to order a CC, but interested in this potentially less expensive option if it performs similarly. Wish it also came in a 48"!

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I am glad to see the competition heating up in the segment in which Bluestar really was the only option.

I love my 48" RNB, and the CC seems like a really fine piece. Choice is wonderful for the consumer. The AR looks gorgeous, still very industrial looking, but maybe just slightly more refined looking than a BS. IMHO, that is where the CC does not shine, it can't really decide if it is a commercial range or a retro 50's looking residential range.

But lets celebrate the arrival of what looks to be another great product. I hope a few gardenwebbers buy them and report back their findings.

• djg1
    12 years ago

Love my RNB but it's nice to see choices and competition in the market.

Plus, now a third front can open in the holy stove wars -- personally, I'm looking forward to some 100-plus-post threads that alternate between worship and contempt.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Frankly I think this range is terrific market validation for Bluestar and competition is always good to keep a vendor from stagnating. The specs on the AR and the whole unit itself are very similar to the RNB. Looks to be very spartan, has a star shaped burner, just some simple indicator LEDs and the rest is analog.

The lift-off burner heads would certainly make potential spills easier to clean. Biggest question in my mind is whether it's "really" an open-burner. Looks more like a sealed burner with a hole in the middle. Maybe that's splitting hairs, I dunno, or maybe it's the best of both worlds?

I like where this range is going! Doesn't appear to apologize for what it is, just cranks out some serious heat (again, according to the pictures and specs).

Now they just need some options like 48", 60", french top, etc.

-Stooxie

• ditmaspork
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do love the specs and look of this new range, really wanting to see one in person though. I'm not too concerned that it's not a 'true open burner,' more into the feature of the burner design which would seem to heat both small and big pans efficiently.

Hope that the 30 inch model will come with the option of a center filler grate. Also, curious about if it comes with some sort of a wok grate.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

So I wounder when/if Trevor will give this new range the full battery of test?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Just the same as any other manufacturer if they give me one for free I will test it, I did speak to our AR distributor but he no longer carries the line nor does he know right now who is or will be carrying the line.

• BrightFutureFoods
    12 years ago

Trevor, I hope they do provide you one for testing. I haven't been encouraged by what i've read about quality/reliability of other AR home pro-style ranges based upon GW AR-ownership threads. Seems like many issues with hot doors, knobs, faulty gas regulators...etc.

I sincerely hope these issues haven't carried into the Performer Series ranges. Otherwise looks like a nice clean, simple design with ample BTUs. Although AR needs to offer 48" and 60" size options!!!

I know AR monitors this site so hopefully they'll take notice of this discussion and work to get some independent testing done.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

I just got back from looking at the 30" model. It was hooked up, so I saw the burners in action, but there was no hood so I couldn't actually try it out to cook anything.

I have attached a link to some pics of the burners, drip pans/tray, etc. My initial thoughts, in no specific order...

1. As with all the American Range ranges, it is very well put together. Seams and corners are finished nicely. Understated look, less industrial by far than bluestar but not overly softened...just really straightforward pro-look.

2. The approach is a little different than bluestar, there is both a drip tray under everything and also separate drip pans under/around each set of two burners. More like the Bluestar drop-in cooktop, less like the range. Reminded me a bit of the Jade residential open burner ranges.

3. The drip pans are black enameled steel, and are very deep - seems like the likelihood of things actually making it to the drip tray is pretty slim. They also, however, don't seem to have any obvious way to get a grip on them to remove them...it was a bit fussy when I did it.

4. All the burners click when you ignite any single burner.

5. The center area on the 30" is a removable stainless steel piece...I don't know if they are going to offer an optional grate, but it seems like it would be really simple to get something to work even if they don't.

6. Unlike the other American Range ranges, the grates are free-floating...there are no "dents' for the feet to rest in and hold them in place. AS a result, the grates move around a bit more, and are noisier...this is especially noticeable because of the other "moving parts" (i.e., the drip pans and tray)...its a little "clanky."

7. My big reservation...the grates are really, really high. Pots are going to end up really far above the flames, which kind of seems to defeat the purpose of having super-powerful burners. I would be concerned that in the real world a lot less heat would be transferred to the pan on this than on, say, a bluestar (or probably a culinarian, but I haven't actually seen one of those in person yet). I may be wrong about this, but it worries me...I hope somebody does do some real world comparison testing soon.

That's it for my iniitial thoughts. If anybody has any specific questions, feel free to ask and if I can answer it based on my look today I will.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• stooxie
    12 years ago

jsceva,

Well done! Weird, though, what you found. They really do seem like sealed burners with a hole in the middle, and the depth, as you point out, is really puzzling, too.

-Stooxie

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Yup, BS's burners are still the most industrial looking, which is exactly what I personally want.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

I care very little about what burners look like.

I care greatly about how they perform.

Given the same performance, of course I would want the cool looking burners:)

• djg1
    12 years ago

deeageaux, some folks care about the visuals more than others but, really, maybe the charitable assumption is that people are reflecting on the appearance of the burners as a way to think about the design, and hence potential performance issues. Of course the proof is in the pudding, and substantial experience with the working range is far better than speculation, but it's not crazy to wonder about air flow around the burner, configuration of the grates, etc.

• ditmaspork
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jsceva,
    Thanks for your detailed observations and posting the pics, really appreciate it!

Based on you pics, the grates do seem rather high. I don't know all of the intricacies of residential range design, but would have loved to have seen on the 30 inch, continuous grates that were flush with the SS surface. On their site [www.americanrange.com] the first image seen on the home page is one of their commercial burner grates, couldn't they have just used those cast iron grates with the Performer Series?

I hope a dealers in NYC will have one sometime in the near future.

• User
    12 years ago

Just a note that the info deeagauex provided was incorrect, according to American's website and literature. As I stated before-

The Heritage sealed burner units have a better oven burner (30,000 BTU vs.28,000), a better convection fan system (their commercial dual fans 'Innovection') and a better broiler with their commercial I.R. stainless mesh 'Inconel' at 18,000 BTU vs. a ceramic 17,000 BTU on the new Performance open burner units and new Cuisine sealed models.

Not a big deal, but in their own literature American says how much better the Inconel stainless mesh broiler is to a ceramic I.R. broiler, and up until now they were using the better commercial grade burners and fans on all their 'Residential models'.

So now they release (what I assume are) a slightly less expensive sealed (Cuisine) and open burner (Performance) models....

My question is why not put the better stuff, the commercial grade oven burner, convection and broiler, in the open burner Performance Series? The controls are different as well, as the commercial 'Inconel' broiler has it's own control.

I would also note that the black enameled steel drip pans do stain (a common complaint from Wolf owners) and are harder to clean than the stainless top on American's sealed Heritage unit- although not removable.

I wonder if the open burner design of the "Performance Series" catches on, American may release, in some future year or two, an "Heritage" open burner design as well?

After all, Bluestar has the(relatively) modestly priced, but powerful 'RCS' series that they pump out for the volume sales, and the much more expensive 'RNB' for the high end kitchen buyers.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Just a note that the info deeagauex provided was incorrect, according to American's website and literature. As I stated before-

I did not provide any incorrect information.

The Heritage sealed burner units have a better oven burner (30,000 BTU vs.28,000), a better convection fan system (their commercial dual fans 'Innovection') and a better broiler with their commercial I.R. stainless mesh 'Inconel' at 18,000 BTU vs. a ceramic 17,000 BTU on the new Performance open burner units and new Cuisine sealed models.

I said the same thing about the oven burner.

I stated degrees capable on the broiler and not BTUs. Nor ceramic vs stainless mesh. The claim AR makes is that stainless mesh last longer not that it reaches higher temps.

Performer series also has dual convection "Innovection"

I would also note that the black enameled steel drip pans do stain (a common complaint from Wolf owners) and are harder to clean than the stainless top on American's sealed Heritage unit- although not removable.

Like I said I would prefer cast iron but I prefer black enamel to stainless steel. It is not easier to clean SS in my experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: AR Performance Series Brochure

• User
    12 years ago

I guess you miss-typed when you wrote -"The sealed burner range has a 30k oven burner and broiler capable of 1500 degrees."

When I read your post I got the impression that the (Heritage) had a slightly higher BTU in the oven, but the broiler was hotter on the new (Performance) open burner. But this is not the case, in fact the sealed Heritage unit has a higher rated BTU, and produce approximately the same broiler temps, not 300 degrees less as you wrote.

And I repeat, the literature I read states that the open burner has a single fan for convection, while the Heritage uses the dual fans. The pictures I've seen confirm this, including the Brochure you posted. Here's a different Brochure from their website that gives a comparison- it makes it seem like it has a single fan. This is the same brochure Tony gave above in only flash instead of pdf form -page 32.

My point is that these new models are substantially different, not just in the burner style.

I work in San Francisco, so will stop by and look at the thing in person on Monday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparison between models page 32

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

And I repeat, the literature I read states that the open burner has a single fan for convection, while the Heritage uses the dual fans. The pictures I've seen confirm this, including the Brochure you posted

No it does not. The Performer Series Brochure States

INNOVECTION� CONVECTION OVEN TECHNOLOGY
    Balanced turbulent heat distribution is essential when baking, roasting, and dehydrating food.
    The American Range Innovection� convection oven technology features dual convection motors and louvered side panels to
    enhance uniform heat distribution throughout the large
    oven cavity.
    The strategic placement of the dual Innovection� convection fans ensures consistent heat distribution even when challenged with cooking the largest turkey, ham or roast.

The general catalog you posted is non-specific.

The sealed burner range Medalion series has a 1500 degree broiler.

The Heritage has a 1800 degree broiler.

I guess we were both right on that account.

Who knew AR had so many broiler setups?

This is from their site.

American Residential Product Features:
    Inconel� Banquet Broiler Infrared Burner
    Utilized in our Medallion� heavy-duty commercial equipment, the Inconel� Banquet Broiler Infrared Burner offers unparallel durability and broiling efficiency. Constructed utilizing Inconel� double-layer stainless steel mesh (whereas our competitors utilize porous ceramic tiles which deteriorate over time), our infra-red broiler burner generates 1,500�F cooking temperatures; perfect for searing steaks and fish. Our broiler technology has been tested and perfected in a commercial environment. This robust technology is now available for the home.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Range Site.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath