Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellekay_gw

combi steam oven- Wolf now vs wait for Miele?

ellekay
12 years ago

Hello,

I am renovating a kitchen. I already got a Capital range and as a second oven I was kind of obsessed with having the new Miele combination steam oven (Miele DGC 5080 XL) that was supposed to come out this month, but is now probably going to be delayed another year. It is so cool- here is a video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k5MzTNrfuY

So, the question is, what to do instead? Leave a hole where the Miele was supposed to go and wait?

Does anyone have the new Wolf combi convection steam oven? It looks pretty cool but it looks like it has a lot of programmable modes, but no manual one. Does that matter? I haven't had the opportunity to cook with it.

I can't bring myself to pay for the Gaggenau. I am not considering the Thermador.

Thank you so much for responding-

Ellekay

Comments (45)

• plllog
    12 years ago

I've read through the Wolf manual (have the Gaggenau). It looks like it does what the Gaggenau does, more or less. All those programs would drive me nuts because I want control (Apple software products drive me nuts for the same reason), but I think if you plan out what you want to do, you can make it do it. Wolf has a great reputation for quality. I've waited in vain for enough vaporware to say, get something now.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

ellekay - Why did you think the Miele steam combi won't be out until 2013?

• samana
    11 years ago

I heard that they got caught up in 'red tape,' having to do with the fact that they are a foreign company. Sorry I don't have more details, but I was also told that by the appliance store where we ordered our Wolf. Ellekay, I will post when we have a chance to test it out, but that won't be for a few more months.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

Thanks samana. Like others, we get different stories. About two months ago the Miele Denver rep (now gone) said he gets in trouble and is always wrong whenever he predicts an intro date, but said it would be introduced this year. We had our appliance store salesman contact Miele and we contacted Miele directly and both of us got the same line, 'Introducing a steam combi has never even been discussed in this office,' indicating not only that it may never come to the US, but that the US employees have never even heard of a steam combi. Then again our salesman said in the past Miele has given only two weeks notice before introducing new products in the US. (Did Steve Jobs once run Miele?!?) We'll be in NYC next month and are planning a trip to the Miele showroom to pose the question again. We start construction of our complete kitchen remodel in mid-July and need to decide whether to leave a hole in the cabinets or give up and go with the speed oven. We really want steam, but can't convince ourselves to mix and match cooking appliances. (We're also going with a 27-inch oven which few of Miele's competitors offer.) Our hope is that with all its competitors introducing steam combis, Miele will feel some competitive pressure to roll out theirs.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Miele in Princeton, NJ is offering cooking classes to the trade (and maybe the public, I am not sure) on their new steam ovens. I haven't gone yet, nor seen it, but have received invitations to their classes. I would suggest contacting their Princeton showroom for immediate answers. If it is trade only, contact me and if our schedules co-ordinate, I would be delighted to accompany you. It is something I am planning to do at some point anyway and if you need a designer for access, if it can be worked out, I am happy to oblige - no strings.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

avidchef, thanks...THAT'S BIG NEWS if by "new steam ovens" they mean the steam/convection combi. I just went on the website and the Princeton Gallery has posted a few classes named "Full Steam Ahead MasterChef Class." I see others are offering the same, so those might be for the regular steam oven. You can be sure I'll be calling them tomorrow. As to your very generous offer, we're thinking about it, but it's a long shot. We live in Golden, Colorado (yea, where Coors is...I worked there thru the 1990s and my wife still does) and we're not sure we can fit it into our NYC vacation (June 6-10) or even if the classes would coincide with our trip. But it sure is tempting.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

Oops. False alarm. The cooking class is for the existing steam oven. I spoke with the folks at the Princeton gallery and still no word or if/when the steam/convection combi will be introduced in the US. Got the impression it won't be this year. (That screws up our plans.)

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Hi,

I have ordered the Wolf convection/steam. At the Clarke Kitchen distribution center, I sterilized my canning jars (10 minutes!), cooked a whole chicken (beautiful to look at and so moist) and reheated a pasta dish. I loved the oven! It is also a nice size and can be used as convection only. Unfortunataely it will not be installed until next December as part of a renovation project.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Gleapman, Sorry to get your hopes up. I wasn't aware there were new and old models. I just knew about this appliance because of the e-mails I received regarding the classes. Well, if the time comes when you want to see the appliance - let me know - the offer still stands. I will probably wait until the fall to check out their classes.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

No problem. I'm no worse off than I was three days ago. You prompted me to call the gallery and the person there provided the best update we've been able to get. We can now give up hope for something this year and plan accordingly. We may do as mjocean did and go with the Wolf product. Hate to go that route.

• sue2012
    11 years ago

What does the miele offer that the wolf doesn't. I watched the video and don't see anything the wolf doesn't have. The mile will probably be more expensive don't you think. I ordered the wolf and am looking forward to using it.

• gleapman
    11 years ago

sue2012 - We have been to a couple of demos of the Wolf steam combi and it's fine. I don't think the Wolf programming is as good as Miele's MasterChef, but it's okay. We might have gone with Wolf, but we have a small kitchen and just two of us in the house, so we designed the cabinets for a 27-inch main convection oven, which Wolf does not offer. Obviously, they also don't offer a trim kit for putting the steam combi in a 27-inch cabinet. So, we've decided to go with Miele, which offers a 27-inch convection oven (actually, it's closer to 28 inches), and matching trim kits for its speed oven and, presumably, for its steam combi if they ever get it to the US. We could possibly make the Miele trim kit work for the Wolf steam combi and the styling of the Wolf is similar to the Miele Europa. (We asked our appliance dealer if a Miele oven handle would fit on the Wolf steam combi. We were told it wouldn't.) We just decided for cosmetic reasons to have the same brand of ovens in the stack. We are going with a Sub-Zero fridge and Asco dw, but both will have panels.

• ellekay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello all- I thought I would provide a little follow-up from my original post. I bought the Wolf, mostly because my husband really wanted to get the kitchen done and not have a hole where I would end up putting the Miele steam combination oven. I love the Wolf. So far I have cooked eggs, veggies, meatballs (at the same time), risotto, a chicken, toasted waffles and toast (just haven't bought a toaster yet) and reheated pizza and pasta.

I would have chosen the Miele if it were available, but it's not and I'm not sure when it will be. I did hear that it is available in the Marine version (if you say you are putting it in a boat) and I thought about getting it, but I heard that if you have a fire or some other disaster and they can determine that you lied about any appliance installation that wasn't legit they can cancel your insurance.

Anyway, I love the oven so far. I did not use the trim kit- put it in the cabinetry and it looks gorgeous.

• cooks1818
    11 years ago

Ellekay-
    Is the Wolf convection steam oven easy to use? A previous poster said there is no manual operation choice.
    How did the veggies turn out? The Wolf site says this oven can brown meats-really?!
    So it replaces a toaster oven & microwave for most common uses?
    Thank U!

• gleapman
    11 years ago

ellekay - do you also have a Miele oven in your new kitchen? If so, how close is it to the steam combi and how do the two competing brands look together?

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Hi Ellekay,

Have you tried fish or rice in the steam oven yet? We also oredered the oven without trim so I'm happy to learn it looks good without the trim.

Marilyn

• Nicole
    11 years ago

I had the same delima: leave a hole? I decided to simply put cabinet doors on the opening, then when the DCG 5080 FINALLY comes to the US, I just slide it in. All the plumbing& electrical is ready for it.
    Side note: yes you can buy one for your boat, anywhere in the US, but marine appliances and such are all on European measure (liters, centimeters, wattage). Trust me, I tried to get one in my kitchen!
    Also, I met someone who works for Miele and was redesigning their showroom: they were told to expect a "second steam oven" in the "nearer" future and to build out a space for it right next to the old one. Sounds promising!!

• Nicole
    11 years ago

For ejocean: I went to the nearest Miele showroom (50 miles awar), to go to a complementary cooking class. One of the dishes was salmon, herbed rice and broccoli-all cooked together in the " current " steam oven. It was absolutely the most moist, delicious fish I have ever had! And everything tasted like it was cooked alone- no transference of favors whatsoever.
    So if there s any way you can go to one, do! Maybe even when your on vacation. I know there re not many Miele showrooms around :(

• Nicole
    11 years ago

For ejocean: I went to the nearest Miele showroom (50 miles awar), to go to a complementary cooking class. One of the dishes was salmon, herbed rice and broccoli-all cooked together in the " current " steam oven. It was absolutely the most moist, delicious fish I have ever had! And everything tasted like it was cooked alone- no transference of favors whatsoever.
    So if there s any way you can go to one, do! Maybe even when your on vacation. I know there re not many Miele showrooms around :(

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Nikkibeerli,

Thank you for the feedback for fish. I'll have to check on cooking classes at our Wolf/SZ distributor to find out if they will be demonstrating a fish cooking class.

Thanks again!

• Shef Rav
    11 years ago

I heard today at a showroom that Miele will be coming out with it in a couple of months and the water dispenser will be at the top where the control panel is!!?!?

• Nicole
    11 years ago

That is the unplumbed version, from what I've been told. The top (black portion) panel comes straight out and then down and the the water container is in there. That's why the 5080 has a bigger capacity (a 14 lb. bird). The current model has a lot of space taken up by the water container on the side...I've run plumbing to my future steam combo oven. I want plumbed!!

• Nicole
    11 years ago

That is the unplumbed version, from what I've been told. The top (black portion) panel comes straight out and then down and the the water container is in there. That's why the 5080 has a bigger capacity (a 14 lb. bird). The current model has a lot of space taken up by the water container on the side...I've run plumbing to my future steam combo oven. I want plumbed!!

• noopd
    11 years ago

i have waited and waited and just wanna let you guys know miele has finally released their bigger combi steam oven (XL).. I ordered it this morning and now i can fill up the hole in my kitchen for the past 2 years.

yes they only released the unplumbed version.. and even though i had all the plumbing done expecting a plumbed version to be installed,, it is not available now and I don't want to wait another year or two for it.

I have also tried to buy the plumbed version two years ago from the marine store.. I didn't because i'm pretty sure its' not gonna work in US... due to electrical issue (50Hz vs. 60Hz)

This post was edited by noopd on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 17:18

• Nicole
    11 years ago

Hurray! Thank you, everyone, for posting this update! I'm calling my rep right now!!!

• betagirlearth
    11 years ago

I have been waiting for this appliance for nearly four years.I left an opening waiting for it.I have gotten the same responses y'all have received and have considered the same options. WOLF is at the top of my list.The design offers more interior room.I have pretty much given up on Miele, but my frig, dw and oven are Miele so I continue to be torn. The current word is that April is scheduled for release, but could be May or later.I think April is a big show somewhere so it seems logical they would target that date. I don't know if that means they will be available then.I am beginning to hate these guys. [g]

• noopd
    11 years ago

i hope they don't delay it that much.. they already accepted my order and everything. Miele says they should have it by 4/7 and i'm now scheduled for install on 4/9.

Although i haven't seen it yet, the SF miele gallery says they have one there now and they will install it in the showroom next week.

• chris401
    11 years ago

So, Noopd, did you get it installed? What do you think?

• Nicole
    11 years ago

Not yet. Install date is for May 15. Hopefully no delays! I will definitely post my thoughts and photos when it is in.
    I am going to a steam oven class in June.

• noopd
    11 years ago

well, looks like miele concierge hasn't got their acts together since everytime i called they are giving me a different date. They are saying May now, so I'll just wait.. hopefully. soon. :(

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Hey all! I just got the first Miele combi-steam oven in California!!
    Little snafu with the wiring I had done a year ago (2 110volts =220v, but half need s to be on breaker A and 1/2 on B). So it is in, but the tech's left before I had the wiring fixed, and they were not able to show me how it works. BUT, I happen to be signed up for the miele Steam class, which is TOMORROW! So I will officially be trying it out tomorrow night. What should I make?? I will post ASAP.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Nikki, congrats, yes it is easy to confused about the breaker A and B, Looking forward to your posts on whatever you learn in the Miele class. I love their recipe for butternut risotto, but look forward to something new.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

I GOT IT and I LOVE IT!!!
    The steam class was fantastic! I never knew that Bartlett pears could be so good; that KALE could actually be...good! They made us SO much food, let me try to list it all:
    Chicken Roulade (pounded chicken breast filled w/goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes, rolled up)
    A risotto with bell peppers, onion and corn
    Steamed (1 min) kale mixed with fresh julienned apple, golden raisins and Asian type dressing
    Salmon fillet w/honey mustard glaze and dill
    Pears sliced w/cinnamon and a TINY bit of sugar (steamed, of course)
    Stuffed tomatoes
    Mushroom and chive omelet
    Chicken bad steak fajitas
    Spanish rice
    Spanish pinto beans
    Tortellini w/basil sauce
    And lastly....yum... Chocolate Box Cake, made in demitasse cups with 4-5 chocolate chips- it comes out like a mini personal molten cake.

All this for 8 people!!
    Seriously though, everyone should make a point of getting to the classes, if at all possible. You really learn a lot. This class was aimed at steam ovens in general. They are going to be having one specifically for the combi steam in a few months. I have also been to a general class and also the master chef class. I recommend all of them- just remember to go hungry! And don't plan on dinner later either!!

I can tell you right now that we will be using this oven a lot. My in-laws have had their miele steam oven for 5 years and didn't start using it until I went to my first class and told her to make hard boiled eggs in it. Another thing is to rewarm leftovers. My in-laws agree that it might just make food taste even better than originally. Maybe because the favors deepen, and the injection of steam keeps everything so moist.

Another hint: use wax paper food wrappers under the salmon because the skin likes to stick.
    Tomorrow I am making French toast....

• Nicole
    10 years ago

These are the wax sheet from Smart and Final. They are perfectly sized for the oven trays.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Also, I believe all of the recipes are on mieleusa.com
    I know they are working on recipes for the new combi steam oven at the test kitchen right now. When those are perfected they send it out to the retail stores to practice making and then they will start holding classes.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Nikki, thanks for the post. Miele has a great website of recipes, I found a chicken roulade and will try this week. I looked for the salmon, but could not find it on that page.

Here is a link that might be useful: miele

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Our " chef " just whipped up some honey Dijon and brushed it on lightly, and kind of draped some dill around it. The taste was very subtle. It was a large piece and the "menu" guide suggested 9 minutes for a fillet 1.5" thick.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Little update here: back at home and playing with my new oven, I'm learning a few things. Mainly that I REALLY need to go to the new class they will be having dedicated to the new combi oven. I have no idea how to do any combination functions. We did make muffins (just steaming them) and they are super moist- like ridiculously moist! I will make a chicken next week, but I'm out if town again...

• noopd
    10 years ago

Hey, Nikki,

I have my oven for 2 wks now and have been very happy with it. I use it almost everyday. Made some delicious croissants last week with the auto setting and it came out really nice. Last night we steamed some egg, and steamed some live shrimp for dinner. What area are you in and where do you take classes? I think there are a lot to learn and thanks for sharing your recipes too.. I'm near Oakland, CA.

• regant
    10 years ago

We had been waiting a long time for this oven to appear in Canada and we planned to install it in our new condo that is under construction. We had ordered it and obtained confirmation from Miele that it would operate at 208v.

We have since found out that this oven has not been approved by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) for use at 208v and consequently Miele are now not offering it for sale in Canada. Apparently it has been approved by the CSA to run at 240v but no one in Canada has this voltage available to them.

Our condo builder told us it would cost about $2000 for extra wiring and a transformer and we would have to put up with a hum and a transformer mounted "in the open" for cooling requirements. He also told us he would not install a device if it was not CSA approved.

If any Canadian reader has a different story on the power supply, we would like to know. We were very, very keen to get this oven and are frustrated that Miele would not have addressed this power supply issue.

• dzaner
    10 years ago

I've planning for a combi steam oven in our new kitchen. I balk at the price of the Gagg and have looked for alternatives. I am curious about the Wolf and the new Miele. At a Wolf demo I was told that you can't use steam and convection at the same time, i.e. you have to switch between modes. Is this true for all of the ovens? I had thought the idea was to use both at once. I like the size of the Wolf but wonder about this limitation. How about the new Miele combi oven? How do the functionality and results compare with the Gagg? THe Wolf?

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

I don't have the wolf, but the one I looked at definitely allowed you to use steam and convection at the same time. when it first came out there were some posts on using the Wolf in combi mode, I remember one where they cooked a turkey in a very short time using combi mode. you can download the manual from the Wolf website and that should straighten out any confusion

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

They might have meant that it won't do the steam and convection functions at exactly the same time. What it does it it will run the "steam" portion and then use the convection after that, or at least as far as I have noticed on my Wolf unit.

I could be wrong as I haven't sat there and watched it, but I am pretty sure that is how it works and maybe what they meant.

Now, they might be talking about their new "M-series" stuff that is coming out and it might work different, that I don't know.

Phil

• richm53
    10 years ago

We had a new kitchen designed for the Wolf 30" E series oven with the Wolf steam oven on top. The kitchen is now complete and ready for the ovens. I have 2 questions for anyone that may know if the new E series design will eliminate the porcelain flaking issue on so many threads here. And, has anyone else heard of the new 30" Wolf steam oven being introduced in 2014.
    I did call Wolf and a tech told me the new e series is now designed with a separate bottom hopefully to eliminate the porcelain issue. Any thoughts please? Thanks for any help