Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

DH says I don't need a warming drawer....

ideamom
17 years ago

Building a new house and told DH about the appliances I've chosen. He saw the warming drawer listed and said what is that for. I explained that it was to keep food warm and he said not for $925. He said the microwave has a keep warm feature. So tell me what are the pros & cons to a warming drawer? Is DH correct or do I need a warming drawer? Kitchen will be big so space is not a problem. Thanks

Comments (61)

• osswb
    17 years ago

I had to grin at DH saying you don't "need" a warming drawer ... is DH the cook?

Now I don't have one now. and have never had one ... but I can't wait to get mine in my new kitchen that is being constructed as I type. I think it is going to be wonderful to have a place to keep things at perfect serving temp without drying them out or tying up one of my ovens (yes I will have two ovens too). I myself never know when my "eaters" are going to show up and this is really going to liberate me. I see myself using it every day. Then at holidays and social events here it will be just an extra bonus.

I say if you have the room (and funds) and can see it making your life easier with the way you cook, then you should have one. MOST of the things we have we really don't "need," so I don't think it is a matter of need at all.

• mccall
    17 years ago

osswb,

Let us know about 3 months after your kitchen is done how much you use that warming drawer!

• weedmeister
    17 years ago

Parents used a double oven for years. the lower one was always the 'warming' oven.

The only time I've been in a house where one was actually being used was when they were having a large party and needed to keep all the extra food ready.

• capecodcook
    17 years ago

mccall
    We have had our new kitchen functional for about 6 months and use the warming drawer several times a week. But then we used the warming drawer in the bottom of our old GE Profile gas range a lot too. What is not getting used is the bottom wall oven...

• osswb
    17 years ago

mccall,

You infer by your post that you don't think I will be using it much and I couldn't disagree more ... as I think I will be using it on a daily basis and am really looking forward to it!

Below is a link to some other opinions ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Warming drawer usage

• whopf01
    17 years ago

To me a warming drawer is like electric windows in cars, (If you're old enough to remember when they were an expensive option offered only in top of the line cars). We use ours occaisionally - when we do it is very helpful, and, takes some of the stress out of entertaining. Only problem - remembering to turn it off. It's located under our island counter and the red indicator light is dim and at knee level. After leaving it on for 2 days we now put a sticker on our wall oven when we turn it on, as a reminder.

• taboni
    17 years ago

I am surprised by some of the comments on this topic given the relative overwhelming support for other such frivolities as potfillers and Tapmaster controls. We will be redoing our kitchen soon and unfortunately don't have space for any sort of wall oven, let alone 2. A warming drawer will most definitely be in the picture. I can't tell you the amount of times I have had to reheat something in the microwave because I needed to use my only oven for something else.

• mccall
    17 years ago

I was not so much implying that you won't but curious to see if in fact you do once you have it. I have the one in a range and it was one of the reasons I picked that range. I cook a LOT. But in the four years I have had it I used it 3 times.
    So I figured a follow up on how much you really do use it once in would be interesting. Of course if you found you didn't you probably wouldn't tell us, LOL

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

Everytime I cook a big meal, I regret not having one.

It depends on how you cook; if I make a meal with many side dishes, I make some of those in advance so getting everything warm again requires a warming oven. Or else you're trying to microwave everything one at a time, it's pointless.
    Insist on getting one.

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

You may not "need" a warming drawer but if you think you will use it and it doesn't break the bank, why not.

I don't "need" a potfiller but I use mine many times a day & made sure it met the budget. Success!

The trick is making sure any luxury item you choose is worth the price you personally will pay. Including a grumpy DH! Your post reminds me I how lucky I was my DH (who doesn't care to cook) stayed out of the kitchen remodel asking only when's it gonna be done? & what's it gonna cost? It's hard to judge luxury items in other folks' kitchens -- not only do we cook differently, we all live differently.

• angier_2007
    17 years ago

This might gross everyone out but I have a big dog that will counter-surf if given the chance. So I'm looking forward to using my new warming drawer/range as soon as it comes in. I hope it will hold a couple or few pizza boxes.

• whoooooooooosh
    17 years ago

I've got one too... brand new, still wrapped and awaiting installation... I can't wait! From plate warming to keeping things warm AND moist.

I'm installing mine in the island top drawer. I figured I would use it more if it was more conveniently placed. Below the wall oven would get tedious and I think I wouldn't be too inclined to keep bending down.

• vicnsb
    17 years ago

mccall, my situation echos yours exactly...but if you have the room and the budget even if it doesn't get a lot of use...you have it if you need it!

BTW, I agree if you are the cook, DH should only give suggestions and you should make the decisions:)

• charlyinfl
    17 years ago

We just heard some new information about our yet to be ordered Kitchenaid warming drawer and other appliances for our new home.

Apparantly a whole new line of Architect series is set to replace the current models. Our dealer said the new drawer will have a "slow-cook" mode in addition to the other warming settings. That is interesting, adding that function and making the drawer more useful. Also, he asked if we wanted to go with a custom integrated drawer wood panel front model in liue of stainless.

The wall ovens will have a glass door and a blue porcelain interior too. This is getting interesting!

• cjays
    16 years ago

I'm deciding on warming drawer too..
    For those of you who have used the warming drawer, how warm does it get the plates, can I put my filled serving bowls in it and then put it on the table and pass them around? Or are they too hot to handle?

• eleeny
    16 years ago

I want a warming drawer too... although I agree it isn't technically a "necessity".

For those who said that you can use an oven at a very low setting as a warming drawer, doesn't it dry out the food? I thought the warming drawer is supposed to keep the food warm and moist for much longer than either a low oven or a microwave. Warming drawer owners - please let me know if that's true! Thanks.

• fairegold
    16 years ago

Put a pan of water into the oven next to the food, and you should not have any problem.

• sovia
    16 years ago

I have had my warming drawer for six months and use it frequently. I only have one large oven (no space for a second) so, for me, a warming drawer was a necessity. I have also found it to be a very useful (albeit overpriced) bread box!

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Technically, your husband is right. None of us NEED a warming drawer. But that doesn't mean one can't make your life easier!

I've been blessed that my husband hasn't questioned the large number of appliances I have on the list to purchase next week! (I can hardly wait!) We gutted and remodeled the kitchen on our current house that we are selling in six days and I always regretted not putting a warming drawer in. Even with a double oven. I cook main dishes for dinner with lots of side dishes and it's a lot of work trying to get them to all finish cooking at the same time. I also do a LOT of entertaining and I this drawer will get used every time I host an event. It will be installed in my island directly across from the double oven and cooktop and will be the second drawer of a three drawer stack. I wanted it integrated and I wanted it to have a timer. I chose Dacor for this reason. I will program myself to turn on the timer dial as I turn it on - then I can't forget to turn it off when done. Because I so greatly wish for a warming drawer three times a week now without one, I'm fairly confident it will be used 3-5 times a week. That takes an appliance out of the 'luxury' status and into the 'makes life easier' status.

If you can afford the appliance and the space and you put it in a good location I'm sure one could bless you as well.

• grohe
    16 years ago

technically, your husband is right if he likes warm dry food.just kidding. i have dacor drawers, side by side integrated below my 6 burner dacor cooktop. also, i have double wallovens. warming drawers are great. they keep the food warm,and serving bowls are not that hot. my dog counter surfs,and i can hide the food. they hold large pizza boxes stacked (4). i use them almost every evening, due to various times the family comes home. my kitchen stays much cooler with my ovens off, and not used for warming.also i like when preparing a dish from stove, or micro, convection i just use my warming drawers and do not need to turn on my oven, which wastes energy.i entertain alot, the drawers are helpful, and amazing at the holidays.during holidays and entertaining both of my ovens have something cooking in them. its hard to get all food done at the same time. down side, we smell bad food sometimes.ohhhhhhh 4 day old pizza we forgot about! so, if your going to use them go for it.they make life easier,and my kitchen cooler.

• cork2win
    16 years ago

I can't speak to using one, but I will say that if your DH is balking because of the price, you don't have to pay full price for one. I was at our local scratch and dent place last week and they had a nice GE model for $50!!! I almost bought it just because it was such a deal. Shop around, maybe he won't care as much if it doesn't cost as much.

• casa1
    16 years ago

During all holidays, cook something, put it in the drawer, cook something else, put it in the drawer, then when the turkey is ready, EVERYTHING is ready at once. How could you NOT want this feature....we ran around the kitchen reheating everything before...

• eleeny
    16 years ago

What about the newer warming drawers with the convection feature? Is that necessary? (Costs quite a bit more than the "standard" warming drawers.)

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

Kinda like that $500 Big Bertha driver.....

• Granite_Man
    16 years ago

I think he's right, but if you have to have it pick up a part time job for a few months and pay for it.

• snoozieb
    16 years ago

For those of you that have a warming drawer, we would love to hear about the brands you purchased and any comments (negeative and positive) you can share with us about them. We are planning to put one in our new kitchen but can not find much information on them.

• capecodcook
    16 years ago

Snoozie
    We meet again! I replied to your question about the wolf range top. Right under the rangetop sits a GE Monogram warming drawer. Only irritant is that the on light is very hard to see and sometimes the drawer gets left on. Has lots of room, a rack so you get two layers over half the drawer if you need it and a (to me) useless set of covered stainless steel serving containers that are too nice to chuck and a pain to store. We just pop the serving dishes in the drawer-don't need the containers. Don't know if they still include the containers with the drawer. Price was ok also-a good deal less than Wolf for example.

• osswb
    16 years ago

As a follow-up for my posts above (wonder if mccall is still around) I can report that I love my warming cab and use it almost every time I cook to keep finished courses warm or to keep leftovers warm for my straggler eaters. I knew I would use it alot and I do! I have been cooking now in my almost finished kitchen for about three months or so. No negatives for me. Mine is a warming cab that is built into my range. so it is very handy.

MaryT

• cciaffone
    16 years ago

FWIW - we have a Kenmore (yrrcchhh!) electric range that
    we bought just for the warming oven. We use it every day.
    The main oven will not go below 170. We like warm plates
    for dinner. So we put plates in the warming oven while
    we cook dinner. Dinner is hot and the plates are warm
    Cool!

I am really not crazy about the Kenmore range. The electric
    burners are less than predictable. But the warming oven
    is worth it's weight in gold.

If we ever get pipeline gas in our elderly neighborhood
    I am gonna look for a dual-fuel range WITH a warming oven.

• scootermom
    16 years ago

Thanks for all this great info! A couple of questions...

I've seen ranges with a warming drawer. Some have the WD on top and the big oven below, and some are the other way around. (Or in the ones w/ the smaller oven on top, is that smaller one a full-power oven?). We now have a gas oven w/ a bottom broiler drawer and it's a pain to get down and pull that thing out (though w/ broiling, you have to keep an eye on the food because it cooks so quickly that part of the pain is the constant checking...w/ a warming drawer, I'd guess you just stick stuff in it til you're ready to eat).

And is it good just for things like bread, casseroles, roasts, etc...or can you put stir-fried veggies in and have them come out at the same crispness as they went in? My husband has unpredictable work hours, yet he hates "reheated" food -- does food come out tasting reheated if it's been in there for a while, say an hour or two?

• lindawink
    16 years ago

I have the Advantium 120, which has a warming setting that is part of the convection oven feature, not the microwave. It goes from a low of 140 to a high of 230 and a choice of crisp or moist. I use it a lot :)

I have a single oven, and I don't have a warming drawer.

• lisadl
    16 years ago

We re-did our island in the fall and put in a WD--I really love it! I feel like my dinner prep goes much smoother and more relaxed as I'm not worried about what gets done when. I have a 36" Thermador convection WD with high, medium, low and plate settings along w/ a timer. It is placed below one 8" drawer. The plates do come out very, very warm--I use a towel to bring them to the table but my husband and one dau don't find them that hot. Side dishes have stayed hot and moist. Broccoli has stayed crunchy. It has taken some trial and error w/ the different settings and I have not kept food in it for more than an hour. It was a splurge but I think it's great!
    Lisa

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

I have had a SS Kitchen Aid warming drawer for over two years now. It is completely stainless inside and out. It came with several NSF pans with lids and a shelf so you can stack plates or dishes. It has several settings and a moist or dry feature. The hottest setting is too hot to handle dishes without protective pads. The lowest setting is probably around 75F or proofing temp. I have put many breads and dough in it to proof and it worked fine. I put my drawer in the top position in a drawer base with two deep drawers underneath it. I have a granite counter, so when I have guests, I turn on the warming drawer and put the plates ON the counter. The plates will warm from the granite being warmed. It's much safer than having guests handle plates possibly being too hot.

I have a lot of family here and we often eat at our home several times a month. I use that drawer all the time. I can cook ahead and get the kitchen cleaned up. All we have to do is pull out heated pans when everyone arrives. I cannot tell you how great that is if you've cooked a huge pan of BBQ and beans. Everything stays the perfect temperature. If I know someone will be home within the hour or so, I will use the drawer to keep food hot. If they're going to be longer then I will refrigerate food and they can nuke it in the microwave.

I kept my eyes on eBay and found a brand new Warming drawer here in town for sale. The box was messed up and they said it had a scratch on it. I couldn't find a scratch anywhere on the thing. I also got this drawer for a whopping $300. AND it was brand new.

I would most definitely buy one again.

FWIW: My SIL has a Frigidaire WD in the bottom of her range. She doesn't use it. She's tried and she's spilled things trying to bend over and put dishes in the drawer. She would much rather have my set up.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Which KA WD do have, sherilynn? We just ordered the 30" Slow Cook Architect® Series II, which we like for its simplicity and value. While we enjoy using our countertop slow cooker, we are open-minded about using this built-in appliance instead.

Congrats on the deal you scored, especially including the pans (we're expecting to have to pay extra for ours and may get two sets if we can find it for a good price). I agree 100% with where you located yours but admit I never thought about also using it as a countertop/plate warmer. Sharp thinking!

• kc567567
    16 years ago

I have a KA with the bottom warming drawer as well ,,,, used just as a storage drawer most of the time ,,,,, but invaluable when entertaining 6 or more guests. Really takes the pressure off for timing everything perfectly.

Using the microware is an option but its smaller ,,,, and then it canÂt be used to cook anything else at the same time.

If you have the space for one, most people would enjoy having one I believe.

KC

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

kc567567 -
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do you post pictures directly into the message? I love that, rather than clicking on a link. I've been trying to figure this out for hours....thanks!

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Hey capecodcook-
    My KA WD came with the same accessories and I found those pans (which I wouldn't have paid extra for) to be absolutely perfect for meat off the grill. When we host gatherings where grilling is on the menu, we use those pans for chops, ribs, burgers... people arrive at staggered times or come back for seconds and I don't want meat out for long periods. I don't really want to put a platter in the WD, leaving little space for other things. For this occasion, I love those stainless pans!

I say if you have the room for a WD and want one, get one. No, it's not a neccessity, but of all these kitchen choices, how many truly are? It can be a nice extra that just makes working in the kitchen a little more enjoyable. How much more justification do you need than that? I chose one thinking I would make more breads with the proofing. Still not doing so as much as I'd like, but more than I did before. It can also be one of your more inexpensive items- mine was brand new, 30" size, for $250.

• kc567567
    16 years ago

......but how do you post pictures directly into the message.......

I upload pictures to "photobucket" ,,,, each picture has a direct address visible. Copy the "HTML Code" address and then paste it directly at the end of your message. Photobucket and other such photo web pages are free ,,,, you just need to sign up.

Photobucket also lets you scale the pictures down so they don't swamp the Forum page (like my last one).

Start a new thread and post a pic!!!

KC

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

My Miele warming drawer is fantastic. I has a slider on the inside of the drawer that can adjust humidity - allowing food to remain moist or when open... crispy.

It cleans well (I've spilled gravy)... just wipe up and rinse the 'mat'

size is good and the rack helps stagger items/foods

It is a little loud (humms loudly) but I love its convenience. I have mine with a cabinet front panel and it is placed in my center island below my stove top.

• song98
    16 years ago

WE have a warming drawer in our Kenmore electric range. After almost 6 years of owning it, I can't imagine not having it. I use it almost all the time. For me, it is so much easier to keep side dishes warmed while the rest finishes cooking. Also, I can't tell you how many times the dinner will be ready when the phone rings or someone is at the door. Even if the interruption is for only a few minutes, without the warming drawer keeping the dinner warm, dinner would have been cold. For me in the past before the warming drawer, when I used to have to reheat (microwave) all the side dishes and main dishes of the meal, it ended up drying out food or just not working very well!

• rbll
    16 years ago

My husband is telling me I don't need a lot of toys in our kitchen redo too, check out what someone mentioned in another question on the appliance site: thermador POMW301 or thermador MEMW301ES. I think this is the best of all worlds, one price for a microwave oven, electric oven and a warming drawer all in a one piece combo unit. Think about it, just one install too, not three.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Good at purchase and installation time, perhaps, but what if one (and only one) of the three items breaks?

• blindstar
    16 years ago

Good point - We had a much older version of the same product. The Microwave died and could not be fixed or replaced without replacing the entire unit.

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

We have no space for wall ovens, so when we cut the Wolf range down from the 48" to 36" (2 ovens to 1) we added a warming drawer.

We bumped the range to 48" just for the second oven, but the larger rangetop would have been a waste. I'd still prefer two ovens to an oven+WD, but with only 1 oven a warming drawer is a necessity (for us).

• ml25
    16 years ago

We love our warming drawer. I agree with previous comments that it is a luxury but we felt it could be justified. It takes a lot of pressure and stress out of the timing of dishes. Plus when our family comes they usually bring additional dishes which if already cooked can go directly into the drawer. Our kitchen only has one 1 oven which is usually occupied. I find the microwave for keeping something warm tends to dry out the food too much. Our warming drawer has crisp to moist setting depending on need, timer and different temperature settings. Yes we use ours a lot.

FYI - one of the best pieces of advice we received is to make sure the warming oven has a timer. People can forget that it is on.

• alpacapolly
    16 years ago

Suska6184 - you mentioned a brand new 30" WD for $250. Care to share the brand & model? Very tempting!

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

I really like have a warming draw, so much so, that I also put 1 outside by the grill

• fivstar
    16 years ago

I don't have a warming drawer, but am planning on one in our new home. I want it for proofing bread, making yogurt, keeping foods warm till serving time, warming plates, I'm looking at the DCS because it seems to be the deepest and should be able to hold my crock while proofing bread dough. If the temp goes high enough, I think it could also hold my canning jars while waiting to be filled. So I'm sure I'd be using it several times daily.

Currently I use my Excalibur dehydrator for a good deal of defrosting of frozen foods; and I also use it for quickly drying my blender container, my olive oil jar, and plastic tupperwares. But I think the warming drawer might function almost as well and would hold a lot more.

• Esther Owner-Builder
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My mother in law probably uses her warming drawer every day. She cooks when it suits her (often a little earlier than when everyone is ready for dinner), puts her dishes in the warming drawer, and takes everything out when everyone is ready to eat. When we're over there, she's often cooking for 6 people. Her kitchen is clean when we arrive (she's already cooked and tidied up), so she certainly makes cooking for guests look like a BREEZE. We're putting a warming drawer in our new home, and I hope I can pull off entertaining and big family dinners as effortlessly as she can (or make it look effortless anyway)! At least I'll feel less stress by not having to try to get my cooking done all at the same time.

• James May
    7 years ago

We put in a warming drawer when we built a new kitchen in our last house. The biggest problem is we would forget about it most of the time. It was great for parties and when we had guests over. That said, no way would I ever spend anywhere near $900 dollars on one. We got a brand new stainless steel GE monogram warming drawer out of the box for something like $125 on ebay. It came from a reputable store in the US. It was a great unit. Granted that was in the middle of the great recession. I just took a look at ebay and do not see deals anywhere near as good as what we got.