Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliansmom_gw

Kitchenaid Built in fridge - KBLC36FTS

juliansmom
12 years ago

Hi,

we are remodelling our kitchen and need new appliances. I really love the look of built in fridges, but the prices are high! I came across a dented Thermador 36" bottom freezer for a discounted price. When I looked around some more, I was told that Thermador fridges aren't really all that great - that I should look at the Kitchen aid built-is. I have been weary of KA since I had problems with food freezing in my previous KA fridge (standard depth sxs fridge). Can anyone give me some advice on the KA built-in?

Also, I thought that all built-ins have two compressors. I was recently told that only the Sub-Zeros have two compressors while all the others only have one. Is this so?

Thanks! I'm so overwhelmed!

Comments (4)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

None of the Whirlpool Fridges, (KA, Jenn-air, Maytag, etc) have 2 compressors.

As far as I know, SZ, Liebherr and Miele all have 2 compressors. Samsung I believe has 2 evaporators which , "to me" is a more clever design, but I don't know if Sansung makes built in Fridges.

I've never been a fan of 2 compressors and have never seen the need for it, as I'm 70 years old, never had a dual compressor or dual evaporator fridge and I've yet to taste icecubes that tastes like produce, or produce that tastes like ice cubes, but that's just me!

If you read many of the posts on fridges here, You will see many posts about how much longer the food keeps in their newer fridges, and the comments are both from buyers of single compressor fridges, dual compressor fridges or dual evaporator.

Most likely this is due to better sealing, better insulation, inproved circuitry that keeps the temps more constant.

Don't have any experience with KA Fridges, but we bought a Jenn-air Fridge 5 years ago and have had no problems with it,cept an occasional burp from the icemaker. Temps are always spot on and I can not hear the thing run, it does use the veriable speed compressor that "To Me" is a far more important feature than 2 compressors or evaporators.

Good luck with your pending decisions.

Gary

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hi Juliansmom. My new KBLC36FTS was installed in November. I can't compare it to other built-ins or CD fridges as I've never owned either before. I never had problems with my old KA, except for the fact it was a small older top-freezer model requiring me to get in my hands and knees to locate items in the bottom, so trusted the brand.

I like the fridge very much. My produce holds well. Nothing freezes in the fridge. Freezer and fridge temps stay very steady. Holds a little more than I feared. Looks great. And, please please please don't let this be a jinx, it's quiet.

That said, for my family, cooking, veggie gardening, food buying habits, and storage needs, I couldn't get by if this was my only fridge. I have a fridge in the garage for overflow of milk gallons and produce. For daily needs though, the KA is great!

• juliansmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your posts!!

I'm still debating with myself!

• cinciguy
    11 years ago

Did you decide - we are researching the KA 48" side by side but it gets mixed reviews