Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacotti_gw

Teppanyaki Griddle ?

mamacotti
12 years ago

This is new to me...

Is a Teppanyaki griddle any different than a griddle one can get on the pro-style ranges? Is it just the electric version? I've alway just assumed that what I see at Benihana is the same type of equipment I see at Waffle House.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Electrolux Teppan Yaki

Comments (7)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Thought video quite interesting, except........

Seems to me it was a silly demonstration by which to demonstrate the purported desirability of an expensive different-concept cooktop. What was demonstrated could be more easily done and more easily cleaned up after using a couple of skillets on an ordinary gas or electric stove.

• eleena
    12 years ago

I thought that in restaurants, the purpose was to cook large amounts of food quickly (and it tastes good too). The home ones seem too small, might just use a regular griddle.

I agree that the demonstration was silly. I would never toast bread next to raw meat...

• asolo
    12 years ago

You may have noticed, also, that the bread never got toasted. The demonstrator kept saying how "fantastic" everything was coming out but that bread just sat there. Since she set that part of the griddle at 100C (212F) that's all it would ever do except for maybe drying out.

Also noticed no clean-up undertaken. That surface appears to be brushed stainless...which doesn't season well and is typically kind of sticky. Could be wrong about that, but I'd certainly need to see a more competent demo than this one before I got excited.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

An induction griddle.

I think 'toast' means something different to the Aussies than to me. All she was trying to do was to heat the 'bun' and melt the butter.

Cleaning this would be like cleaning any other flat-top steel griddle I've used: water and an abrasive grill pad.

I would like to know where the fat drained off to...

• plllog
    12 years ago

At Purcell Murray (BSH distributor) they use half lemons, I think when the teppanyaki is still warm, to clean off all the gunk, then rinse. That was the Gaggenau one though, and it has a chrome finish or something.

A teppanyaki has to be pretty large to be really useful. The Gaggenau 15" has two independent heating elements and is just barely large enough to consider. (I did.) One of the main things is that a real teppanyaki is bigger than a griddle. A large plancha or one of those old timey four burner griddles is more like it. Then, however, you have hot spots. A teppanyaki should be very hot in the center and cool along the sides, like so many other cooking areas.

The home teppanyaki modules really are more like built in griddles than real tappanyakis. If you're putting in modules rather than a range, and want a built-in griddle, you can have one with a fancy Japanese name. No grease tray (except maybe the one with the trough), but than we're not talking about a commercial flat top. :)

Besides being alternatives for people who want a built-in griddle, these are put in in small Euro apartments where the kitchen is a wall in the living room. If there's more counter space than cupboard space, having the built-in might be more convenient than storing a griddle. They can also use it as a warming burner, or as a place to set things when it's off.

• 李文龙
    3 years ago

Teppanyaki Griddle Actually, you can see the product by eyes .Or let them show image to you.

We are teppanyaki Griddle factory. www.aibitekitchen.com is our company web.