Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for over 900CFM island mount hood (recirculating)?

Posted by Imcaffeine (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 22:09

This might be a tough one.
We can't vent outside; we'll need at least 900 CFM; it's island mount, and we are looking for a 42" model (over a 36" range).
Any model recommendations? I'm going for this look: ADL-E42ASX Zephyr
But this model is only 600 CFM. The only one that fits the criteria is Cavaliere, but I'm looking for a better brand...

Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for over 900CFM island mount hood (recirculati

Probably not helpful, but if you need that big a hood you probably really want to get the smell, smoke, grease, and combustion products out of the building. Recirculating might take out dome of the bigger grease droplets, but everything else is being blown back into your living space. Whether it requires building a soffit to carry a vent or moving the range to a different location you will be much happier with an external exhaust if you really use the stove for much cooking.

I wonder if anyone makes a small diameter, high velocity remote fan setup that move enough CFM through a hose that can more readily be snaked through whatever joist/rafter bays you have available?

o

400 Hz three-phase 208 Vac fans used on aviation electronics can do this, but they are quiet only in the context of the nearby jet engine.

Rootes type compressors (used on drag race cars and certain classes of industrial air compressors) can do this also. I would not want to listen to one of those either.

In any case, there may be another reason for no outside venting, such as defective building rules. In such a case, the problem of interior recirculation becomes one of how much room do I have for a sequence of filters that will get most of the effluent. A HVAC professional should be consulted.

kas

o

I wouldnt think a 900cfm recirculating blower would be any more effective than a 200cfm blower. Note I said 'blower' since nothing gets vented.

o

CFMs are probably irrelevant when you're recirculating.

o

I'm currently in a condo with a recirculating hood - I can tell you with my experience that CFM matters. So now if you guys can help me out here...?

And by the way, it's very common if you live in a big city. I'm pretty sure that many people face the same situation, so some practical advice would really help.

Thanks.

o

Sorry, but all the extra CFMs will do is recirculate the hot air faster back into your kitchen. Save your money and get something that looks nice :-)

o

I think "CFMs" are important for ensuring proper capture and containment depending on the hood configuration and cooking technique. What happens after that will depend on how good the filtering is. Certainly the heat will be recirculated; hopefully the grease will be at least partially filtered out.

kas

o

Two considerations-
Ventahood has a recirculating unit that seems like it can work.
If you choose induction the need for ventilation is reduced with the elimination of heat and combustion products.
Here's a discussion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooktop ventilation LEED

o

Thank you Dan1888. Very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here