Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susied

Should I JUMP on the closeout, or holdout????

Susied3
15 years ago

OK, there's an upscale home store going out of business.

They have three single ovens left.

A Viking DE SO105-BK

A Gaggenau BO 280/281

A Miele H4881BP-SS

They are discounted 30%, and I LOVE the look of the Gaggenau, but is it a little smaller interior than the others? I can't find interior dimensions anywhere on the internet.

Anyone have anything like these and can you tell me anything about them? I love the Blue inerior of the Gaggenau, but the Miele seems to do so much more.

Or, should I not go for a closeout and look for something to match? But, there is nothing to match a Lacanche, and my refrigerator is a Sub Zero All Frig/Freezer.

We are JUST now in the design stage, am I getting ahead of myself? I haven't even designed the kitchen area and already running out and buying closeouts, discontinued models, and SPLURGING on the range.

I have to decide, or they will be gone tomorrow!

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

if i find myself rushing into something i instinctively back off. unless it's a product i have thoroughly researched and decided on, i'd pass.

there will be more bargains ahead. don't put yourself in a corner with an appliance for a kitchen not yet designed.

i KNOW it's exciting but there are more good things to come. good luck!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

All of the models you mentioned are price restricted under general selling conditions and NEVER discounted. That said, if you buy all your appliances from one vendor they may throw in a free DW or Microwave or extended warranties to make up for the fact that they cannot discount those brands.

We are extremely happy owners of Miele DO ovens and I've heard amazing things about Gagganau ovens too. The Viking ones I wouldn't touch but that's my opinion based on research I did a few years ago and the extremely poor repair record and bad customer service that was rampant back then. It may, or may not, have improved since.

• antss
    15 years ago

If you are/were planning on getting one of those models anyway then you will never get get a 30% discount on a "new" item, and unlikely to get more than 20 points on a display model.

This is a guaranteed return on investment of 30%. Where else are you going to get that kind of return today on anything that's not illicit?

If you are just getting caught up in the flea market frenzy that's going on at HD Expo and aren't quite sure if you'll do a wall oven or it's size ect.... then you should pass. You don't want a paperweight later.

Of the three the Viking is the least capable and reliable. The Miele has the built in GUI interface and is programable. The Gaggenau is the quietest of the 3 and has the side hinged doors that are love/hate. Some also like their knobs over the Miele touchsceen. Viking can have either, so depends on what model you're looking at.

Good luck.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with the Miele as long as you're 1000% certain you'll want a single wall oven, and as long as it's a style you like. (My sister got caught up in buying appliances before a new layout was confirmed and found herself limited by fitting in wall ovens and rangetop instead of a range, which would have worked better in her situation.)

Gaggs are great, but with the side swing door, it will really dictate where it can reasonably be installed so that it swings correctly, the landing area is situated in the right place, etc. You might really have to gear your whole layout around that oven.

Like Loves2cook4six, I have heard too many complaints about Viking to consider it as an option.

Kate has a point about new models and options coming out before your kitchen is done.

I got my oven for a good price while we were building. One thing to consider is that the warranty started from the day I purchased it, even though we didn't install it for 4 1/2 months, and didn't use it for 2 more after that. Thankfully, it had a 2 yr warranty, because I would've used half the time of a 1 yr before even turning it on.

• Susied3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help!

I guess my philosophy was to get appliances first in order to plan around them for fit. I'm not using a designer, (yet) so, I'm not even real sure in what order things should go. :)

I talked to the saleswoman today, and the Viking was sold, (wasn't going there anyway after seeing the opinions here) I did a lot of searching on single oven prices, and from what I could determine, most of the single ovens I would consider were within a couple hundred dollars of the Miele and Gagganua on clearance.
    (antss, maybe I AM getting caught up in the HD Expo Flea Market Frenzy!) But...it seems like a good opportunity? NO?

I'm leaning toward the Gagganua, it's blue interior is sucking me in.

Does anyone use the Rotisserie in the Miele or Gagganua?
    I don't want to make rash/rush decisions, however, I wouldn't want to let a good deal pass.

Again, thank you all....

• foodie3
    15 years ago

susied3,
    the gaggenau is 4.6 cubic feet, one of the 3 largest 30" oven cavities. that said, usable space is measured differently, so it gives you 5 rack positions, the option to buy more of the blue pans that come with it and are used as cookie sheets, giving you more cooking surface than any other 30" oven. i have rotis'd pork loin, chickens, prime rib, pineapple, to name a few, and its a great conversation piece for parties, not to mention great tasting.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Like I said, I have the Miele DO's and love them although if Gaggenau had come out with their ovens before I bought mine I would probably have gone with them. I LOVE the side opening feature.

We have rotisseries in both our ovens. I have done chicken and turkey that have come out fantastic.

I'd love to know how to do a pineapple - foodie you gonna share?

susie, honestly either one would be great but buying from Expo which is GOB is going to mean that any warranty issues will have to be dealt with directly through the manufacturer. You may want to call both of them first and ask them how they will handle warranty issues if the dealer is gone. Another thing to consider and ask about - who will do the install and how does that effect the warranty. And while you are talking to the manufacturer ask when the warranty takes effect - on delivery or install?

• antss
    15 years ago

The vast majority of high end appliances service warranties direct anyway, so Expo going out of business really doesn't have an impact.

N.B. - most display items have a different warranty than a new in the box one. Some will have no warranty.

• Susied3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up going with the Gaggenau. She explained that the warranty would be full and Gaggenau had their own service, however, if there was something malfunctioned upon install, the regular Home Depot would exchange it. Now, the issue is getting it installed before warranty is out, which someone else brought up earlier.

I would LOVE to know how to use the rotisserie. Do they have good information in the manuals? I haven't even opened the box to read it. Or, is there a web site which would give good tips for using them? Maybe on GW somewhere?

• antss
    15 years ago

manual is available online from Gaggenau. I'm impressed Expo had one new in the box lying around, most of their stuff was displayed - especially late in the sale.

• foodie3
    15 years ago

In case you missed my first post, i am a gaggenau rep and chef, here to answer cooking questions with no sales pitch. if you have a specific question, i will do my best to answer if i have already tried it.

rotisserie pineapple:
    peel the pineapple leaving it whole.
    mix butter, dark rum, brown sugar 1:1:1, or adjust based on your preferences, in a saucepan until warm and melted together, add a pinch of cinnamon (to your preferences).
    place pineapple in a dish, pour warm mix over and let sit, turning every few minutes, for about 2o minutes or so.

drain off excess, or reheat and pour over ice cream if you want. skewer pineapple on the rotis shaft, set oven to 350 convection broil (in the gaggenau) and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

those who dont have a rotis, remove the green top without cutting the husk, cut the pineapple in half lengthwise, cut or scoop out the pineapple without poking the husk too much (i know, not easy). you can make a foil bowl around the outside if you like, it helps. pour pineapple chunks and rum mix into the halves, and bake or bbq at 350 for 30 minutes, or until warm all through.

this helps cut the acid on a not yet ripe pineapple, and makes a great dessert.

• funkyamazon
    14 years ago

foodie3

not to hijack this thread but that pineapple sounds amazing and I was looking for things to rotisserie with my Gaggenau ovens! Excellent.
    I also wanted to ask if you have experience with the baking stones. We just got the stone but the heating element is the wrong one! We have 2 of the EB271.
    I can't seem to find a place to get the element the stone fits perfectly- it's the PS 056-001, the element is just different. hmmm.

• foodie3
    14 years ago

funkyamazon,
    the ps056 is for an older style oven, you can get the one for your oven at reliable parts, i think its part number 356422, replacement for an hz026-001 element. do you have the rack to hold up the stone?

• funkyamazon
    14 years ago

Foodie 3

I have everything. It looked like it was perfect as the heating element looks the same, it's just a 3 prong connection instead of one. The rack and stone fit perfectly.

do you know which oven this fits?

I am also on the look out for the correct element as the stone is just fine. I can't find anything on the internet on where to get them except from Gaggenau directly and even there, they have a cryptic catalog, no real information.

Thanks for the help, one step closer to solving the mystery of which one i bought!!

• foodie3
    14 years ago

funkyamazon,
    i'm not sure how to answer, all of the elements are 3 prong.?
    if i can ask a stupid question, was the ceramic plug removed before plugging in the element?

• funkyamazon
    14 years ago

hmmm. foodie. not a stupid question. I thought there was something in there. My fiance swore up and down there was a different prong. I'm going in now to check it out...

HA! you are right!! it is a ceramic plug!! I am happier that the element fits but i can't help but be happy that I may have been right. I tried to tell him that this was the right one. Thank god I didn't get rid of it. I would have been so mad!
    I feel like a bit of an idiot but not too much because I was certain this was the right element. I just needed to yank out that plug. Hilarious!

Thank you. Crisis averted, ding dong (me) stands corrected.

• foodie3
    14 years ago

No worries, i had to think on this for a while myself. have fun, that stone makes great pizza crust!