Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele Dishwasher Salt vs. regular softener salt

Posted by paully1 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 22:05

My Miele Dishwasher needs salt for the integrated water softener. A 1.5 kg box of salt from Miele is about eight bucks. A much bigger 20 kg bag of "premium" water softener salt is only five dollars at the local Canadian Tire. By weight, it is over twenty times more for the Miele salt. Is it really that special? Can I use this "premium" rock salt and save big over the Miele branded salt? I have searched around the web and have not seen anything that really addresses this question. Advice anyone? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele Dishwasher Salt vs. regular softener salt

You don't need to replace the Somat salt that often, I would not use the salt for a softener machine because of the impurities are the usually in it. There have been some threads in the past about using pure Kosher salt (without any anti-caking agent) which is getting hard to find in most places. I use maybe a box of somat every two years in my dishwasher.

Good luck!

o

There is also an issure with grain size that needs to be looked at.

o

I fill my Miele Excella's salt resevoir about once every 6 months, but our water in West Orange, NJ is extremely hard. I can't comment on how well regular softener salt would work instead bc I'm not willing to risk my $1500 DW by trying it out!

o

The U.S. Navy concluded that Morton Kosher Salt worked fine in a Miele Thermodisinfector. If it works in a dental instrument disinfection unit, I would expect it to work just as well in a residential dishwasher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Less Expensive Salt for the Miele G7781 Instrument Washer

o

Well, I have taken the risk and added the the premium rock salt. I took the salt for a quick spin in the food pro to bring the particle size down closer to the size of the Miele crystals. So far the dishwasher has not exploded or otherwise indicated a problem. I still wonder about the long term, so if anyone else has any information, post away. Thanks for the link dalerb66. Very cool information there about kosher salt.

o

I'm not exactly sure why you would take the chance of damaging your dishwasher by using something other than what Miele says to use. You spent a lot of money for a Miele, then trying to save a few bucks on salt??? I don't get why people do this. I would be willing to bet if it damages your dishwasher you'll have voided your warranty.

I've had my Excella for a year and have yet to add any additional salt.

o

You pay only eight bucks for a box of Miele DW salt? Where? I could only find $12.95 on the Internet but if I buy two boxes at my local store, they would be $11 each plus sales tax.

o

Superbiker, prices tend to go up over 5+ years.

o

> There have been some threads in the past about using pure Kosher salt (without any anti-caking agent) which is getting hard to find in most places.

Kosher salt is stocked at most supermarkets where I live. If yours doesn't have it, look for a specialty kosher market in your area, which most places with even a small Jewish population will have.

o

I agree with others here, why skimp out and try and be cheap on salt that is about $10, give or take, that you have to put in maybe every 6 months - 2 years? Are you going to save that much by buying a 40lb bag that you will only use very little of the salt in it?

What if it does cause long term damage, what do you tell Miele then, what if they find that the salt was the cause and they reject your warranty coverage? ARe you willing to risk that over a few dollars? I personally won't do that, seems to be a waste of time and effort to save $5 over 2 years, with the potential to cost me $500 or more to fix my unit if that other salt does cause issues, or $1,500 to replace my dishwasher if it isn't covered under warranty and has to be replaced.

To each their own, and I know you can say salt is salt, and that may be, but again, for me to save $5 or so over 2 years, I won't risk it.

Phil

o

All the salt is doing is creating a brine solution to wash off the calcium deposits on the resin beads. The salt/brine is in one compartment and the resin beads are in another compartment. Based on where you set your hardness setting every few days the dishwasher circulates the brine through the resin bed and pumps it down the drain. This refreshes the resin bed and makes it ready to soften / remove calcium from the fill water as it enters your dishwasher.

o

jakvis, I don't have a Miele so this is more of a generic salt question --- my Bosch cleans my dishes sparklingly well. Do I still need to use salt?

o

If your water is already soft or it's considered only a medium hardness and your happy with the results by not using the softener salt you don't need to add salt

o

Thanks!

o

hockeyfan - does your Bosch have a water softener ???

What is the hardness of your water ?

o

xedos, I don't know the answer to either of those questions, although I think the answer to the former is "no" - its the Bosch SHV68T53UC (800 series), and I live in San Francisco.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here