Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Anyone change the door on a dishwasher?

crl_
10 years ago

Long, boring story, but I might want to have a white dishwasher after my remodel--currently in very early planning stages. I currently have a Bosch 800 in stainless that is less than a year old and woks perfectly. I'm guessing a new door would be cheaper than a whole new dishwasher, but still pretty pricey since it has all those electronics in it. . . . But I thought I'd ask here if anyone has done this.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

You might not need to change the whole door, maybe just the cover. Depends on the model. I looked into this a three years ago when I was working on my own kitchen renovation, but then my old Bosch died. You can go to parts websites, such as Sears Parts Direct, and find the parts diagram to see what might be involed with you particular model.

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I poked around some parts websites and found just covers. But they are all stainless. I have an SHX7ER55UC/50. The closest white dishwasher in appearance is a different model number: SHX68T52UC. I wonder if there is anyway to tell whether the cover from that model would fit my model? If it did, it looks like the handle is separate which would be excellent because I could keep my stainless handle.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Bosch

• weissman
    10 years ago

Why don't you call Bosch and ask them.

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my random experiences with customer service (not Bosch specifically) are that most of the time you spend a lot of time in phone tree hell and then the person on the other end has no idea what they are talking about.

• barbarany
    9 years ago

I did that. I had a fairly new bisque dishwasher and needed to change to stainless. Ordered a new cover from Maytag - took my DH five minutes to change it. I believe it cost me less than $200.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Let me save you some time and agro.

No, you can't easily change the color of a recent, factory colored Bosch DW.

Yes, it's technically possible if you can get a hold of the part schematic and figure out everything needed to re make the unit. It will be pretty big investment in $$$ and time because there are no "kits" to do this. You'll also spend or pay someone to dismantle and re assemble the thing. No really feasible.

Sell it for the most you can and buy the color you want. Better yet, buy one that needs a custom panel and your options will be nearly infinite. !

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Looking at the parts diagram on Bosch's homepage, you'd have to change the Outer Door plus handle. Bosch sells the stainless door you have for $200 and the white door for the dishwasher you've linked for $40. Excluding handles.

I wonder if you could have you stainless door panel and handle spray painted or something like this?

• xedos
    9 years ago

$40 isn't too bad if that's all you need.

Painting Stainless Steel is not easily done. And , will cost more than $50 for a quality job that will last.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help and thoughts on this. I'm going to ask my contractor (from a recent bathroom remodel) about it when he comes to give me a ballpark on the kitchen (for budget planning purposes, will get a real bid when we are closer to ready to do the remodel).

If the $40 white door cover would work and I could keep the stainless handle it would be kind of perfect since I'm stuck with a stainless range (induction and Viking is too much $$$) and want a refrigerator that only comes in white.

Thanks again!

• dany13
    9 years ago

Get the application: "APPLIANCE HELP" on your phones.
    This application it was created to help you fix your own appliances.
    By using this application you will be able to fix and repair defective components of your appliances as well as maintenance and overhaul.
    You will be able to read and translate: '' Error Codes'' in order to decide if a repair is worth it.
    You will have a clear image of what should be replaced or fixed, without being overcharged by a technician, in case you decided to call one.
    You also can use our free service : " contact us" and a professional technician will help you with your problem.
    Visit the web at: infotechline911.com