Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christymck

Lacanche Ranges Part 44

ChristyMcK
10 years ago

joeboldt: re: 1/2 sheet pans in Cluny ovens, I not only have confirmation from you but also Victoria at Art Culinaire that indeed you can fit a 1/2 sheet pan in a cluny size oven....not sure where I went wrong - sorry!

Great advice on the pizza! We've also found an hour long oven preheat with a pizza stone does wonders for pizza. I am also a strong believer in using parchment paper to facilitate moving the pizza on and off the stone.

I'm still on the fence about whether to go electric or gas if I get the Volnay + combi steam oven. I'm leaning towards electric so I get the broiler and convection - opinions welcome. If I get the Cluny 1400 then of course I'll just get one of each w/o convection. I do believe French Blue will be our color of choice....at least for today.

Lacanche Ranges Part 43 (hopefully this will work): http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1014504328901.html?100

Comments (150)

• chef-marty
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a shame about the hood! I wonder why? Can you imagine how beautiful to carry those custom colors through to the hood also? Can any of those recommended companies color-match? Or maybe not. It would be scary to think that they might be a slight shade off.

Maybe if the new customers made enough demand......

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just as a public announcement, Vent-a-hood has some of the Lacanche colors. The RAL (a color number) for our French Blue Volnay was a VAH color option in their portfolio (not custom). We ended up getting a stainless VAH. Our hood is small and the pics I saw of small painted hoods didn't appeal to me.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

My Portuguese Blue chip looks like RAL Ultramarine, but I am not sure that it is. My RAL deck is old, and I don't have enamel chips.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Thank you for the hood information, I'll check into the matching hood colors with VAH. I am really learning towards a plaster and wood one especially after seeing the Lacanche in person yesterday.

The black Sully 1800 with brass trim was beautiful, solid and very well made. I felt every piece and nothing felt flimsy or cheap, as had been reported by some on a English forum.

The configuration starting left to right, two 15,000, one 18,000 Classique, one 5,000, one 11,000, two additional 11,000 and an electric Plancha. The left oven was gas and the right or middle was an electric/convection. The warming cabinet was on the far right.

The owner put all the burners on so I could see the difference between them. Then she turned them as low as they would go and said that it was difficult to get a very low simmer on any of the burners without using the portable simmer plate. She also said heavy cookware was important. I watched as her mother made a grilled cheese on the portable grill. It looked easy and came out looking very nice. The owner said that the portable grill was very heavy, so she usually left it on the range.

She has only been using the Lacanche since May, so there were still several things she had not used yet. Including the plancha and the convection element of the electric oven. So far, she had only used the plancha as a resting spot for spoons, hot pots, etc.

She has used both the gas and the electric ovens and said they both performed very well. The size of the Sully oven is smaller than an American oven, but certainly big enough to cook a turkey, etc. I rarely use all my oven space in my current oven.

The warming oven was bigger than I visualized. It could easily hold rectangular baking dishes, a casserole dish, or several plates of food. I can not wait to slow cook in it!

The owner wasn't using the factory supplied back spacer, she didn't like the way it looked once it arrived. So, she ordered the island spacer and was using it on the back of the unit instead. I saw the back spacer and it looked very commercial and may not go with all kitchens.
    I will check with Alisa about doing the same.

The brass on the burner caps and the trim had already started to patina. I thought it looked beautiful and gave the range character.

The only thing the owner would do differently, is order the larger Sully 2200, if she had space. She said the Sully 1800 was large enough for her needs; she has four children and frequently has her mom and dad and friends over. She would get the bigger unit because she loves her range so that she is sure the larger one would be even better!

We had decided we were buying the Cluny 1400, but upon leaving yesterday my husband proclaimed that the Sully 1800 was the perfect size! Fortunately, I predicted his reaction and I was glad I had brought along the price sheet so I could recalculate the price for the larger unit!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

From the bottom of the Lacanche Ventilation page:
    "• Lacanche RAL colors are as follows: Ivory �" RAL 9001, French Blue �" RAL 5003, Portuguese Blue �" RAL 5002, Green �" RAL 6009, Provence Yellow �" RAL 1006, Aubergine �" RAL 4007."

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Someone earlier on this thread was trying to remember the fellow with the Cormatin. As I recall, his name was Velodoug. Doug....lived on the Jersey Shore, sold his house and got another stove....Bluestar, maybe? Babied his Cormatin. Way back--2006?

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

Ok, friends, I need a little memory help! In my (exhaustive/exhausting) search of Lacanche threads, I came across a beautiful kitchen which featured a black LC, blue cabinets and a wonderful hex mosaic tile in pastel-ish colors. For the LIFE of me, I cannot remember the poster, so I cannot find the post. I have gone back through many threads and I have searched the finished kitchens blog, but no success. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks SO MUCH in advance!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

twobelles,
    There was a poster with blue cabinets and glass tiles (maybe somewhat iridescent?). I cannot recall whether she had a Lacanche, but she never posted a complete reveal. I think she said she "just used" an already mixed combination of tiles, maybe called "sand and sea'" or something? It was a fairly ornate kitchen with corbels. Does that sound like the one you are thinking of? I apologize, I cannot recall poster's name.

Vedazu, I remember Velodoug. He is the one who said he enjoyed cooking on Bluestar more than on the Cormatin, but he did enjoy his Cormatin immensely. It was orange.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 9:55

• pentimento
    9 years ago

twobelles,

Are you thinking of this kitchen? Follow the link posted below...

:~)

Here is a link that might be useful: 'backsplash in' thread started by finestra

This post was edited by pentimento on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:08

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Well, that is the one I was thinking of! But Aren't the tiles something like this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beach blonde blend.

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

Yes, yes, yes!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

*runs off to follow links*

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

I need input on color and range hood. I am getting a neutral contemporary kitchen with Bulthaup cabinets and counters in white laminate similar to the attached photo. My cabinets/counters are in an L and will have an L shaped bank of cabinets to the ceiling opposite them in a matte silver grey laminate.

Both the fridge and dishwasher will have white panels so literally the only color in the kitchen will be the Lacanche. Imagine the Lacanche under the range hood below. We are looking for an updated midcentury modern vibe for the house, neutral wood floors and soft white and grays throughout but accented with our very colorful folk art.

I am torn between four colors: Provence yellow, coral blue, mandarine and olive. Thoughts?

Also, any suggestions on good range hoods for a Sully that will fit the vibe of the kitchen? It will be wall mount.

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

The LC color chips laid on the Bulthaup chips below. Provence yellow, DH's favorite:

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

Olive, DD's favorite:

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

Coral blue, DS' favorite:

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

And mandarine. I like them all, really.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I am not an MCM expert, but I do love that mandarin. Every one of the colors under consideration comes in Jars Cantine dinnerware, said to have an MCM vibe. Have you seen those? All your possibilities look good with the gray.

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

Thanks kitchendetective. The Jars Cantine dishes are beautiful and an almost identical palette. Of course, the problem is anything goes with a neutral, really. I am liking the mandarin too so that makes our house a perfect split decision (with me casting the deciding vote.)

I have been collecting vintage Cathrineholm enamelware and much of it is a strikingly similar palette as well: orange, olive, gold and medium blue.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oh, that will be spectacular. Are there any predominating colors in your art collection?

• mbwestfall
    9 years ago

No it's a mix of brightly painted Oaxacan carved animals, some Russian lacquer, a couple of African carvings and Haitian voodoo flags. All colors, really.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Provence Yellow followed by the Mandarin. Reading your description, before seeing your photos, the Provence Yellow was the color that came to mind (I think this is one of Lacanche's most timeless colors and I see it working in both traditional and contemporary kitchens). It's a perfect foil for the sedate silver grey.

Regardless, both the yellow and mandarin will POP against the white and look sensational contrasting the silver grey.

I don't know what color your wood floors will be, however, it's worth noting that the yellow and mandarin are similar to the warm tones of wood (just with a ton more color saturation). Whereas the lovely blue is an opposite to the color found in many stained wood floors. The green seems closest in overall impression and feel to the silver grey, and it works well with any wood tones (with a more "natural" look) so I see it as the most subtle of the group.

Looks like whatever you decide you're going to have a gorgeous kitchen!

• achauer
    9 years ago

My Delft blue Cluny arrived yesterday, and after getting it up a very very steep driveway we had a little party to celebrate! In honor of her origins I served Kir Royale and French 75 cocktails. There are a few weeks to go before the kitchen is ready to receive her queen, so the crate has been closed up again. Now I have plenty of time to plan the first meal!

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Achauer,

That's fantastic! Love the pics. Ours also recently arrived. We bought a bottle of Volnay to have with our inaugural meal (we got the Volnay model in French Blue) and went to a local french restaurant. It should be up and running by mid/late Sept. They must have been on the same boat! Ours went down a little steep driveway into our garage where it now awaits....tick tock...tick tock.....tick tock....

Best,
    Christy

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Beautiful range, achauer! Thank you for sharing your photos. I can't wait to see your baby installed. And, ChristyMcK, I'm happy to hear your Volnay has arrived! I knew the due date was August, and was waiting and watching for arrival news. Congratulations to you both!

• MTRead13
    9 years ago

I hesitate to ask here as I don't want to take this thread off track at all, but thought I'd receive some good input - saw some old references to this question - the LaCanche ranges are beautiful and I can see the appeal - I saw mention from one about comparing to Blue Star. For those who have decided on LaCanche -did you evaluate La Cornue, Aga, others? What were the features that helped make your decision and what your close seconds (if you had them)?

• chef-marty
    9 years ago

Hi MTRead13,

Here was my reasoning:
    La Cornue-Too expensive and not as flexible to customize your range.
    Aga-On all the time and also not customizable
    Blue Star and others like Wolf or Viking-I did not want the professional stainless steel look. These ranges are really built like restaurant ranges but we are at home and to me it is over-kill. Lacanche might be a little light when it comes to the oven racks but unless you are doing home catering, the oven sizes, racks and burners match the need best.

I thought about just about every possible other brand before committing to Lacanche. The beauty and choice of options sold me.

See my other posts for more.

• MTRead13
    9 years ago

Thanks, Chef Marty! That's helpful and makes sense.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Can anyone address the amount of oven insulation among the following (assuming similar sizes):
    Cornue Fe 1908
    Cornue Fe 90
    Lacanche Volnay
    ? TIA

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

No one?

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective, I'm not sure how to measure this but you might check out the weight per sq inch to get an idea? If I recall those Cornufes were a 30" size oven with a 36" range top, a different size than the 39" volnay. A per sq inch might give a weighted diff

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our Volnay is live! We broke it in last night with a fantastic and simple Zuni omelet with mustard croutons and aged brie, a kale salad and a gruner veltliner. It felt like a triumph after a month of 14-hour work days with a simultaneous kitchen renovation. Work deadline is over. I'm looking forward to getting to stretch our wings with our new beautiful kitchen appliance!

• LauraFaye
    9 years ago

That is so exciting Christy! I hope to see a picture :) I am planning on ordering our Volnay in the next week or two. It ended up that a smaller range was better for our kitchen layout, and we'll get the wolf steam convection oven for a second oven. I am so excited! Can't wait to be able to cook on it, although it will be a wait, the footings for I if house were only poured today...

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Congrats, ChristyMcK! I'd love to read your thoughts and see photos of your beautiful range.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I am wondering if anyone can please share the solutions you found for installing a make-up air unit to satisfy the requirements for vent hoods over 400 cfm's which seems to be needed for most of the Lacanche ranges.

My builder is suggesting the MUA unit could cost us an additional $10,000.00. If that is true, that could be a show stopper for my hopes of owning a Lacanche!

The only units I can find online that even come close to that price are commercial units. I have found two residential units that cost significantly less. The units are made Modernaire and Broan. From what I've read, these units appear to be complete and to satisfy the regulations. And they appear to be easily installed, especially into a new build. However, since I'm very new to this whole subject, I worry that I'm missing something big that would be required for these units and up the price to something close to what my builder has suggested.

Ideally, it seems like it would be best to have a unit that attaches to the HVAC system so that the air would be warmed before entering the house. But, if it's a matter of getting the Lacanche or warm air, I will settle for the Lachanche and cold air!

I don't believe either of these units by Broan or Modernaire warm the air. I'm wondering if the units can be installed in another room or even in the basement? Or, if not, is there a way to temper the air?

Is there a MUA unit that is universal so that it can be used with another vent hood liner? I would like to purchase the Vent-A-Hood Magic Lung if so.

Any comments or suggestions about this issue would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Corie

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trinkette! I'm waiting for the kitchen remodel to be done to post pics. Tile order takes 10 weeks! And I'm still painting (will I ever be done painting?!). Anyway, the Lacanche is lovely and I'm definitely on a learning curve but having lots of fun. I apparently just think a range hood is for lighting. I haven't had a range hood in over 5 years and keep forgetting to turn the fan on! And then I wonder why our house smells like spot prawns (seafood heaven on earth, but not so much the next morning). Are you still deciding on your range?

Corie: I'm sorry I can't help. Our house was built in 1939 and though we got a 600 cfm vent-a-hood, we just didn't worry about MUA because there are simply enough drafts in our 70 year old house. Not sure if that was wise, but it's done and we are still alive, 3 weeks later!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I envy you, ChristyMcK! I look forward to seeing photos of your finished kitchen too.

I did learn today from the builder that the HVAC guy said the units I found will work! Yeah, I've finally got the go ahead to order the Lacanche next week! If anyone else runs into issues with MUA try either CCB Innovations, or Broan. Modernaire also sells a MUA unit, but I believe it's the same one that is made by CCBI.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

ChristyMcK, Yes, I decided on my range, except for the color, which I'll fret about until the very last moment! Still, I've not ordered the Lacanche yet (AGHHH!) because my husband had a piece of heavy machinery break beyond repair and my range funds were swept away in order to make-up the difference on the trade-in for another track loader. I was bummed, but all in all, it will work out for the best -- I get new gardens, trails, a bigger yard and improved paddocks with the track loader, and eventually, I'll get my range too! There are more funds on the way and when the piggy bank is replenished, hopefully before the year is out -- I think I wrote that last year -- *EYE ROLL * we'll order the range at the same time we begin the kitchen redo.

I've been planning on a Lacanche for years now ... you might make the mistake of thinking that I'm a patient person. Ummm, just so you know I am NOT! At least, this delay gives me the opportunity to change my mind again.* GRIN*

Sooo, I've looked at nearly every Lacanche over the years, as well as other brands, as I mentioned on another thread. With Lacanche, I considered Classique and Traditional tops, gas and electric ovens, as well as both big and small ovens. Long ago, I was sure I wanted the smaller ovens, dual-fuel and a Traditional top. Later, I changed my mind and became sure that I wanted my main oven to be gas; and since then, I've never wavered from that. Although, I've been bummed that there is no broiler in the gas ovens.

So, of course, I wanted a gas oven AND an electric oven. I looked at the Chagny, but in the end, decided that the larger oven(s) would suit me better. Still determined to get BOTH a gas and an electric range, my dream range started to grow ... my husband referred to my future range as "The Bus."

Then, I decided that I didn't want to have a big range that required an even bigger (and costlier) venting system (which may come with MUA issues as well). Plus, we're only a family of three, with a son who'll be off to college in two years. And, if we ever move, the smaller range will be easier to move and more flexible in terms of integrating it into another kitchen. So, I reined myself in. I was back to just one gas oven. The Volnay and Chassagne (and their counterparts) were looking pretty good.

I wanted a warming cabinet for all kinds of reasons (including keeping meals warm, drying fruits and plants and crafts). Then, of course I saw the vertical convection oven ... that blew my mind for awhile -- which to choose? After all, if I was keeping the size down, I couldn't have both. Still on the fence, I also wasn't sure about the Traditional vs. Classique top. I really like the "method" of cooking with a French plate and thought that would be the way I'd go.

When I weighed all the pros and cons and listened to what Victoria at Art Culinaire had to say (the woman is a saint for dealing with me), it seemed the Classique, over the Traditional top, would be the better match for my needs. We live in the South where summers are HOT and I don't need to add the heat of the French plate to the mix; we cook a lot of pasta and stir-fry -- the big burner would be a treat; and because I've sold a book series that features recipes, I need lots of flexibility to cook things that I've never tried before, and I need to feel that others can duplicate the recipes. It seemed like the Classique top might be more flexible.

So, with all that and more in mind, I FINALLY decided on an all-gas Classique Volnay with warming cabinet. All I'm missing is the smaller oven with a broiler, and I can either put in a separate wall oven, or continue to use my little Breville Smart Oven. The Chassagne was my runner-up choice. For me, between the two, the Volnay seemed like a better value.

Of course, now that I've had a few more months to think about it, (uh-oh) I MAY want to go a LITTLE bigger (even if it means springing for the bigger vent and hood along with all associated issues). If I do loose my mind and go bigger, it will be a classique gas Citeaux with a warming cupboard and vertical convection oven.

Hummm, that seems mighty tempting right now. ACK! Just shoot me.

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trinkette,

Perhaps the adage, 'Good things come to those who wait' applies?! You will be SO thrilled when you finally make the Final Final Final decision and the order is made. The Classique Volnay sounds like a great choice for you (it was for us)! Of course that Citeaux is just gorgeous and was high on my list. Had our space configuration been a bit different I'd probably have gone with the Citeaux but I didn't want to give up precious counter space and I'm glad I didn't.

So far, I'm very pleased with our Volnay. I made a braise with chicken thighs earlier this week and I was in heaven when I saw how beautifully and evenly browned those thighs were. I could have NEVER done that with our old electric coil plate range. The warming cupboard is getting lots of exploratory use (warm plates at 150? 200? for how long?) and recently put out some deliciously soft slow cooked beans. I'd really like to retire my crockpot and yogurt maker and other one-offs that my new appliances should theoretically be able to replace. I think they will - I just need to become a talented user. I haven't needed the 18k burner that much yet. I'm enjoying exploring the 'french plate' cover over the two 10k burners for simmering, though it's a little high. I'm going to switch it over the 15k/5k side and see how that goes.

The interior of the oven is a little less tall than I'd remembered. So far all this means is that for my one 3 qt clay pot with a chicken head, the chicken head (it's very cute) won't fit with the rack in the middle. I have to use the bottom rack. Still baked up my Ken Forkish bread perfectly.

My main drive right now is to get the kitchen finished before Thanksgiving. The backsplash tiles are ordered but are not due until 11/7. After the contractors made the alterations (we have a new deep single bowl sink, a range hood, and some new cabinetry where there used to be an old non-working dumb waiter) there was more painting to do. Ugh. So the last 3 weekends have involved ever yet more painting. It's mostly done but needs a good time to cure. After 6 weekends + painting over the summer I'm wondering if it was a DIY project I should have hired out. Live and learn. It does like nice and now there's lots of love in those cabinets!

For whatever it's worth, I have been using both ovens and the warming cupboard simultaneously (we put in a Gagg combi steam oven). The flexibility is really great even though we are a household of two. (Do I hear the Citeaux growing with possibility? :) I've also been amazed at how the changes we made, esp. the single deep sink and better lighting, make such a huge difference in flow and use in the kitchen.

Anyway, keep us posted! We'll toast when you make your order!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I want to thank everyone who has helped me with my questions about the Lacanche and all who have written about your experiences with your Lacanche. Your experience was so important and really helped me make an informed decision. I placed my order today! After much back and forth, we went with the Cluny 1400. Now we will wait for it to arrive in the spring.

Trinkett, I hope you get to place your order soon.

• sonny1958
    9 years ago

Will using copper cookware be a problem?

I recently placed an order for a Sully. Yay!

Anyway, I have heard that getting the burners to a low setting can be difficult with the Lacanche. Additionally, with copper cookware you often don't need or want to use a high heat. Especially when your cookware is lined with tin. So I'm wondering if I will be limited in my use of my copper cookware on my new range :(

Using my vintage French copper cookware on my French range is something I've been looking forward to.

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cori and Sonny,

Congrats to both of you! What a great feeling to have that decision made, huh? What color did you get? The wait will go by faster than you think. I sadly don't have any copper cookware. And I haven't yet tested the low, low simmer (e.g. barley bubbling stock). So far I'm very please with the overall levels of heat available across the burner choices and have not had any trouble getting the heat to go as low as I want.

• sonny1958
    9 years ago

Thanks Christy, it is re-assuring to hear that you have had no trouble on the low side of the settings for the burners. Have you tried using a simmering plate? I will be curious to try this technique when everything is said and done.

Deciding on which model, configuration and color was a bit tricky but I decided early on not to allow myself to overthink it. Got the Griotte (red), classique 18k burner, 2x15k, 2x11k, 9k, and 5k, one electric convection oven and one gas. Hoping this and the various accessories will give a lot of flexibility. Should be here just in time for the new year.

This post was edited by sonny1958 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 9:35

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Thanks Christy! After getting the paint chips, we changed our mind and ordered it in terracotta. It feels so good to have finally made the decision and placed the order! Now, I can finally move on to other areas of the house.

Sonny, Congratulations on your order! I am interested to hear what you learn about the copper pots. I've been considering buying a set and never considered that they may not work with the Lacanche.

• sonny1958
    9 years ago

Hi Cori, with respect to the copper pots I am realizing they should work fine. Mine are tin lined though so I need to be careful to not overheat and melt the tin. If you get stainless lined pots you won't need to be as careful. But the cooking/heating properties of copper are quite a bit different than SS or cast iron and generally require lower levels of heat to achieve the same effect.

• chef-marty
    9 years ago

Hi all,

I have many copper pots that re tin-lined and I have used them for years. To damage one you really need to put it on high and walk away with it empty. They are not so delicate that you cannot use them on a Lacanche. Restaurant burners are very strong and they survive in that situation well. What they do not survive is a lot of scrubbing as you might imagine. That is my biggest problem with the tin lining.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Melting point of tin is just under 450 F, but an oven cycles, so the temp may not be constant and may be 25 degrees higher than the set point at random times. A guest decided to help herself to one of my pans, a pan that had been retinned the week before she used it, and she melted the tin sauteeing mushrooms in it. I never said anything, but I was a little fried (pun intended) about it. I tend to keep burners it on low or medium, rather than the stir-fry range.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Sonny1958 your red Griotte range will be stunning! Sure to be the kitchen showstopper. Congratulations.

Cori, the terracotta is a gorgeous color. And, much underrated. I absolutely the terracotta Cluny that I saw in person. A wonderful choice!

kitchendetective, I mourn your guest-melted-tin-lined copper pan. You're a saintly soul for not saying anything to your guest.
    : (

ChristyMcK, my fingers are crossed for you as you race to get your kitchen in order before Thanksgiving. Very exciting. I bet the lighting has made a HUGE difference. Can't wait to hear how it all works out when the work is finished. Just a few more weeks ...

• KathleenLex
    9 years ago

It's great to read the messages from those of you who are using your Lacanches. My Cluny, in French Blue with the traditional top, is on its way to my kitchen. I can't wait to see it installed (along with the counters, cabinets, floor, etc.)

I spent many hours debating the Traditional vs. Classique. We went for the Traditional for a variety of reasons. Four burners is more than enough for us. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had all four burners going at once, and the 15k burner will have plenty of power for us. Since we don't need five burners, we thought why not go with something that functions differently than a regular burner? My husband is excited to experiment with it and learn how to cook on it. The French Top throws off a good amount of heat, and since we are in Massachusetts that will come in handy. There are only two months a year when the heat doesn't come on in our house - July and August. Even June and September have some cool days. I can see where if you live in a warmer climate it would be a problem, but in chilly New England it will be great.

• HadesHnds
    9 years ago

Hi All-I've been reading your posts for over a year and have learned soooo much! I posted a new thread-hope I did it in the right place, but haven't heard back from anyone on my question, which is "Are there any Lacanche owners in the san Jose/ San Francisco bay area willing to let me see their stoves?" I'm hoping to find one with a plaque. Art Culinaire reached out to some but nobody responded.Help!!Laura

• chef-marty
    9 years ago

WOW! Just sautéing mushrooms! They must have heated the pan empty or with just oil until it smokes. Mushrooms are mostly water and are hard to brown because of it. High heat is needed or the water comes out and they boil instead. It would have been hard to melt the tin with mushrooms in the pan or there were not many of them.

I have been using copper for years sautéing on high heat and I have never melted the tin. But I am used to tin.