Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good downdraft ranges?

Posted by zagyzebra (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 20:43

I'm looking for recommendations on downdraft ranges. Anybody have a newish one they particularly like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good downdraft ranges?

Jennair and Dacor are the only brands of ranges that work with downdrafts. With cooktops you have more choices.

o

I don't know about good ones but my last kitchen had a down draft Jennair.

I loathed it. Exhaust air removal was very weak but the down draft fan pulled my gas flames toward the vent.

It was terrible.

o

They are all horrible.

The downdraft is working against the laws of physics.

o

That's an oxymoron. They all suck because they don't suck.

o

We have a smoothtop Jennair. Horrible range. Takes forever to boil water on 3 of the 4 burners. The oven bakes hot on one side, underdone on the other. The oven temp is off by 15-20 degrees, although the repairman says it is fine. The electronic control board has been replaced once.

o

I'm not sure how newish my JA downdraft is. It came with the house. It has the swappable electric elements. I haven't swapped them. It has a convection oven which is excellent. The cooktop is about as good as electric gets. (I prefer induction or gas, but for electric I can't complain.)

The downdraft...I can't review it properly because it is not ducted. It just dumps directly into the crawlspace. So I don't use it. I have tested it and it absolutely does suck down effluent like it's supposed to do. How good would it be with a duct? Probably less good.

You may be told differently by the hood police here, but downdraft is absolutely better than no ventilation. I sure wouldn't do it on purpose, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here