Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

2nd thoughts on Electrolux Icon Double Oven...

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

Just read where allyson and boogie2 had problems with the double ovens and now I'm scared to make this purchase! Can anyone offer their thoughts on this? My next choice was Thermador but I don't see wonderful things on those either?

I'd appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) on whether I should go through with this purchase! (I was SO excited about these ovens!)

I'm also doing a Thermador Induction cooktop and if I got the ovens I could get the free dishwasher (or pay to upgrade), but I was willing to forego this and get the Electrolux ovens....

Comments (18)

• deeebert
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that on this and all sites on the web you should take the information with a grain of salt. Can you not trust your own instincts, and research? Remember you are being deluged with information, some which may be accurate for your situation and some which may not.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Google Thermador oven reviews, then Goggle Electrolux Oven Reviews.
    You can also go to AJMadison for reviews by actual buyers.

Of the research I did, one consumer organization reported a 30% failure of the Thermador ovens by their readers, (NOT CR).

As reported Electrolux did have some oven problems in 2010, mainly the double ovens, and it was probably the thermal switch that one of the posters wrote about, and You can see from that post that they have done a redesign at least on the mounting of it, and there was no where near a 30% failure like it's competition.

I would like to see you buy the Thermador as we need some really good and current info as to the reliability---I like competition and the more "Players in the game" the better it is for you folks.

If you are "Truly Interested" in reliability, then buy 2 single ovens. They are much more reliable and best I can recall, none of the Elux Single ovens had the reset switch problem.

Add to that, the fact that with double ovens, (In Many cases), when one oven is down, so is the other, alto this was not true with the Elux.

If I wanted 2 ovens, I would still buy 2 singles and install them as a double or anywhere I want, but we get along fine with a regular oven and a speed oven.

Click the link below to see some of the Thermador Oven Reviews.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador Oven Reviews

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

deeebert- That's true. The forums are wonderful but "grain of salt" is often something I need to remind myself of.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Those double elux ovens are sure sexy! I really wanted the one but ended up with a Wolf single and advantium over top due to space and function needs.
    Should be installed in a couple weeks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Gary- I had hoped you would comment as you always have useful info to add. Can single ovens be installed up and down- meaning same configuration as double ovens? If so, why isn't that common practice? What's the draw for doubles?

• wekick
    12 years ago

I agree with Gary about the two ovens and in fact I think any time you can buy "components" like range top and oven vs a range you are better off.

As far as which oven to buy, all appliances can have issues but it is how they handle it. I have an Electrolux oven that had some issues with the enamel a few years ago and they replaced the whole oven immediately and it was their idea. My service guy said that they were the only ones that would do that-the others would have replaced the liners only. I had issues with another line of appliances and the customer service was abysmal. I think allyson had her issues resolved not sure about the other one.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

What I would do, 2lf's is download the installation guide for the single Elux ovens. That should give you an idea of how much vertical space each oven will require.

I wish I could recommend that you call Elux and ask them, and don't get me wrong, they have been very helpful in the times I have called them for readers here (when I could not get the info elswhere)---buttt----I think the "temptation" will be too great to sell you a double oven, along with not wanting to "Foster the idea" that "Single Ovens are more reliable".

I have studied, (Not scientifically), just read many posts about oven failures of ALL manufacturers, Yes Wolf and Miele too, and everytime I find fewer failures, more 5 star ratings etc etc for the single ovens.

I hope I'm wrong about Elux's response to your question, "Can they be stacked Vertically" and that they truly answer your question.

Another reason I favor Single ovens, is if the thermal reset button ever needs to be reset, it's a lot easier to pull out a single oven than a double, alto I wish ALL Oven makers would follow Dacor's example of making the button accessible from the inside, ---unfortunately, I can't really recommend the Dacor ovens, as many times, the Board blew instead of that thermal switch---hopefully they have fixed that???

Anyway, even if you do have to go with double ovens, your odds are pretty good you will have no problems, We have a number of folks here with the Elux Double ovens, and they all seem happy, (last time I heard), So I mention the singles as I do not do well in Vegas, I just don't have a
    "Poker Face" so for me, at least, "Gimmie the best Odds"!!

Gary

• Colleen T
    8 years ago

Just thought I'd comment on my Electrolux double oven. Bought it in February of this year (2015) and it is a good looking oven. However, after 8 months of rare use, it isn't heating up all the way (neither oven). Luckily, I'm still under warranty. It turns out that Electrolux asks that the ovens be removed from the wall in order to have their repairman repair it. The removal, of course, is not covered by the warranty. I'm so upset; never had this problem with Kitchenaid repairs. Don't understand why I have to pay to remove the oven from the wall in order to have it repaired, WHILE STILL UNDER WARRANTY. For this reason alone, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ELECTROLUX double ovens.

• Maryann Tiscione
    8 years ago

I cannot recommend Electrolux appliances, specifically their double ovens. The ICON professional model that I purchased 4 years ago for $3,500 has been an appalling letdown. The hidden bake element in the upper oven failed twice in a 14 month period. The control board, the relay and the temperature probe also had to be replaced. The bake element overheated to the point it melted fiberglass insulation; it also warped the oven lining and caused the porcelain to splinter, neither of which are repairable. Electrolux has advised me that their warranty on this expensive oven is limited to one year. I have never used the self clean feature because of fear of what could happen; the Electrolux representative, advised not to use it either.

• Colleen T
    8 years ago

My Electrolux stopped heating 4 different times within the one year warranty and luckily I was given a credit from the store where I purchased it towards another oven. I chose a Bosch and it is a much better oven. I've only had it two months, but so far I really like it a lot.

• Colleen T
    8 years ago

Additionally, the third time the Electrolux stopped working (under warranty), the man they sent was unable to do anything for some reason and left without giving me much info, other than I would have to remove the oven from the wall myself if I wanted it repaired. I then called the store I purchased it from who sent repairman the day after Thanksgiving and who brought several replacement parts with them, rather than having to order them. It worked for a week or two and then failed again and it was replaced this past January. In the meantime, at the end of January, more than 2 months after the Electrolux repairman had come out, Electrolux called and said my parts were in and they were approving the repair. I laughed, told them their customer service as well as the oven were terrible and hung up, as I'd already had the Bosch installed and the Electrolux was long gone. The point is, they never communicated that they had ordered a part, nor that they had to approve the repair, which was within the one year warranty period. Their approval finally came within one week of the warranty expiring, and i can't help but think that was intentional, so that the next break down would be out of the warranty period. Abysmal customer service.

• wekick
    8 years ago

imshasta,

So who fixed the element the first two times and did you actually have to remove it yourself then?

• Colleen T
    8 years ago

The store where I purchased the Electrolux from (Pacific Sales) also provided me with a one year warranty, so I called them and they sent out 2 repairmen at a time who pulled the oven out from the wall. They replaced the control panel 2 times and some other thing (can't remember), I think it was a burned out solder something or other (very tiny), but it would never retain heat for any length of time and finally I was able to replace it with a Bosch, which I like much better than the Electrolux!

• wekick
    8 years ago

Oh, you didn't mention that you had repairmen from the store the first two times that did pull the oven on this more extended discussion of the problem back in November. I got the impression that you were having service for the first time and were told you had to pull the oven yourself. You did the right thing to go back to the store and they did the right thing to give you a different oven. They have more leverage with Electrolux than you do.

Electrolux service

• Colleen T
    8 years ago

Yes, I didn't realize the store would be more helpful than the company!

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

Well, sorry the Electrolux did not work out for you. As I mentioned (see earlier post here), why it is always better to buy a single oven (or even 2 singles), versus a double oven, (regardless of brand), so nuff said about that!

Just to tell the "Rest of the Story", my single Electrolux oven, that I bought back in 2006 still works perfectly. It hasn't even blown a light bulb yet. It has endured many power outages over the 10 years, as has my Electrolux Speed oven, and they both continue to be trouble free.

There are others here in Houzz (former Gardenweb) that have had the same great experience that I've had, and one does not have to look that far to find problems with Bosch ovens.

So my point here, is just to tell both sides of the story, not only the bad, but also the good!

Gary

• Maryann Tiscione
    8 years ago

Yes, the Electrolux ICON is beautiful and when it works, it's a pleasure. My issue is the company attitude. My oven is a lemon but past 1 year. And for the company to tell me it's not a good idea to use the self clean feature is outrageous! I expected better from this company who supposedly values their customers.