Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
building_a_house_gw

Review My Whole House Appliance Selections

building_a_house
11 years ago

New build. Trying to buy everything local but have used AJ Madison as a reference for convenience in this thread.

Please tell me your thoughts as I really respect the opinion and experience of everyone on this forum.

Rangetop: Capital Culinarian CGRT366L 36" six burner liquid propane
I keep coming back to the Capital Culinarian. After seeing it in person I am sold.

Wall Oven: Electrolux Wave Touch EW30EW65GS 30" dual ovens
Highly rated on GW. Has all the options we want. Can't afford anything more expensive. Torn on this an the Elux Icon double 30" wall over.

Dishwasher: Bosch SHX55RL5UC
Mid-range Bosch. Have a Bosch now and love it.

Microwave Drawer: Sharp KB6524PS
All MW drawers are made by Sharp. So no need to purchase anything more expensive. This is going in our island.

Refrigerator: Electrolux Icon E23BC68JPS Counter Depth
Was able to get this $1000 off in a scratch and dent. Has a very small dent on the side. No water on the front which is both a pro and a con. One of the best designed counter depth fridges I have seen. Looks great too.

Washer: Samsung Front Load 4.3 cu ft WF433BTGJWR
Steam wash. Seems to be highly rated. Found the Samsung pair of W&D for $1700 total.

Dryer: Samsung Front Load 7.5 cu ft DV433ETGJWR

Butler Pantry Beverage Fridge: Marvel MPRO6GARM-BS
A splurge. Just love the way this looks. Have read that you get what you pay for in beverage center or wine refrigeration. Could have gone with something cheaper but this one caught our eye.

This post was edited by building_a_house on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 20:37

Comments (9)

• weissman
    11 years ago

hood over the rangetop?

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great catch.

I am planning on going with the Modern Aire 40"x22.5" Professional Series liner. The hood will be custom cabinetry.

http://www.modernaire.com/PSL_Liners.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Aire PSL Liner

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I had a friend buy the Samsung Washer and Drier and hated them. Returned them to the store and bought a pair of Miele.
    You picked nice appliances and I am sure you will be happy with your choices.
    I think the Elux ovens are so sexy - I almost bought them but heard about a problem with the porcelain chipping, so went with Wolf - and now I hear they have the same issue - but sounds very sporadic, so I would not be concerned.

Help me understand the appeal of a MW drawer. You have to squat down to set the controllers - or do they have a remote that can be operated without crawling on the ground? I like the look, just never could figure out why.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What did your friend not like about the Samsung? I am not dead set on it --- just read some mostly favorable reviews and thought the price point was decent.

I personally don't like the look of microwaves. I guess I could hide one inside a cabinet like I have seen on GW and other sites but that seems to me like a waste of valuable cabinet space. The drawer allows it to be placed in the island and is more aesthetically appealing, imo. The controllers are on the top at waist height so I am not sure about the "crawling on the ground" aspect. The drawers mostly have positive reviews and we have friends that have one and like it.

This post was edited by building_a_house on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 17:59

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I will assume no one sees any glaring issues?

Dropping $14K here so some feedback is appreciated.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

As to the drawer, I think the newer designs tilt the control panel up slightly. And it is certainly no worse that the front panel controls on a DW. Unless you install it as a bottom drawer instead of a top drawer.

my brother owns the Samsung W/D pair. He likes them.

If you're doing propane, just make sure you get it set up for propane and not NG. Propane has less BTUs per cubic foot than NG. This is corrected by installing larger jets on the burners. Even so, I think the burners have slightly less BTUs than their NG counterparts. But only slightly if any.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Called to make sure they knew it was LP (they did).

I went ahead and placed the order. Thanks to the 2 people that made a comment.

• swensoca
    11 years ago

I would look at other drawers just for some reference. I was looking at these and it seems like the sharp drawers protrude out further than the others. Drawers branded kitchen aid stuck out about half the distance and looked much more integrated in my opinion. Most of the difference was the large handle on the sharp. I believe the sharp will stick out further than a counter typically overhangs.