Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Convection Oven Emergency

Posted by marcia59 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:18

Luckily, the big seder at my house was last night and tonight was just 3 of us. I turned on the oven to roast a chicken and sat down to the seder. Time passed and the oven wasn't heating up. Yup, no gas, no spark. Every so often the igniter dies and has to be replaced to the tune of several hundred dollars. I had a nice chat with the appliances some time ago and explained that they just needed to hang on until the end of June, when we would start the kitchen renovation, but apparently the oven isn't feeling cooperative.

So. We hate to put hundreds of dollars into an oven we're planning on getting rid of in 3 months. OTOH, we broil fish for dinner pretty frequently and use the oven for other things and the microwave plus the toaster oven (things we already have) won't quite cut it.

So I poked around on Amazon and found the Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven which is a big toaster oven with convection and broiling. Based on the description and the reviews, it does what we need (mostly broiling fish and baking bread, which can be done in small loaves) and it's $250, which will definitely be less than the repair. Also, we'll be able to use it for the months we're out of the kitchen and into temporary kitchen quarters in the basement.

If you're still with me, this oven seems like an excellent solution to our problem. Is there anything I don't know or that I'm not thinking of that would make this not such a great idea?

I'd love to order it tonight, so quick answers would be much appreciated.

Thank you all!

(Also posting in the Kitchen Forum.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Convection Oven Emergency

I used to have a similar oven and used in the summer outside to avoid heating up the kitchen. You might like to read this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop oven

o

I haven't used the Breville oven, but others have spoken highly. When I went to college, the only thing we had were toaster ovens, and you can make them work pretty well, as long as you aren't cooking for a crowd. If I were you, I would check out the Cuisinart Combi Steam, if you have a Williams and Sonoma nearby you might see if they have it in stock, . You might even consider ordering it by mail - WS has a 90 day return policy if you don't like it.. While it is a little smaller than the Breville, it does have the steam option, which could be attractive even after your kitchen is finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Combi Steam

o

The one thing you should know is that you can get the Breville at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon that they frequently mail out.

p.s. It's a great oven - I love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here