Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andybp_gw

Very confused on the hood for my range. Need Help...

andybp
15 years ago

I'm planning on purchasing a 36" Bluestar RNB range. Our kitchen plan has a wooden hood that's 36 X 24 over the range to be built by our cabinet maker. I'm now in the process of figuring out what insert to purchase for the hood.

I was looking at a 34" X 15" Prestige insert. It has 2 fans for a total of 1200 CFMs. Issue is that they don't make a liner for it and I believe I'm going to need a steel liner.

Best makes a liner and a 34 X 15 insert as well but it's only 800 CFM. Is that sufficient? From what I've read on this site I'm questioning that it is.

I've done some corresponding with Modernaire and believe they can accomodate my needs but would prefer to buy all through the Appliance store where I'm purchasing the rest of my things.

Any suggestions on what you think I need and suggestions for brands/models would be greatly appreciated.

For some reason I just can't grasp this range hood thing (kind of like I am with crown molding). I understand all the components of the appliances but this one escapes me.

Really could use some advice.

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Your post is consistent with your confusion. Hopefully we can figure this out!

The main issue is that you say you are looking at a Prestige insert--but then say they don't make a liner.

Issue is that often a liner and an insert are the same thing. In either case, these are typically metal "boxes" that are placed ("inserted") inside a decorative hood surround, like the wooden one you are contemplating. So, if you are going to use the wooden surround, you need the metal "guts" to go inside. That's typically referred to as a liner, but also can be called an insert.

I'm sure Prestige makes a liner that would work for you. Perhaps the confusion comes in that some manufacturers sell the actual hood itself (the big stainless steel box) separately from the fans that blow the fumes away (the "blower"). Sometimes, they refer to the fan(s) and the metal frame that holds them as a "power pack" or similar term. I think that is what you're calling an insert. So in that case, you'd need the liner plus the power pack. I suspect there is just some confusion over nomenclature as I'm sure you can get what you want from Prestige.

OK, here's the (unpaid) commercial pitch. I think you should consider the Modern Aire option very carefully. Why? Because 1) they make a fabulous product 2) they can custom build it to exactly match your size and specifications 3) they are often LESS expensive than the "big" companies 4) they will work with you on every possible detail to get it right.

Here's why I think you're nuts to try and buy your hood liner from your appliance store: the fact that you've had such confusion over the purchase tells me that your appliance store sales guy is equally clueless. Any half competent "expert" could have explained this to you clearly. Why would you trust someone who obviously doesn't know his hood from a hole in the wall? Consider Modern Aire: cheaper, better, and much easier.

So...if you want my two cents worth: I'd call Modern Aire. Ask to speak with Jeff Herman, my hood guru. Explain to Jeff that you got a recommendation to touch base with him on Garden Web, and then explain exactly what you want to do. He will give you great advice and help walk you through the whole process.

my beloved Modern Aire hood liner

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

I agree with the second poster-- there are many benefits when working with the manufacturer. They, like a good sales person, will hold your hand in the purchase of the right liner/insert. I think their products are also really top notch. I don't think you can go wrong with ModernAire or Prestige. I talked to both when we purchased our hood and I'm very happy.

• andybp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clinresga...Thanks so much for your help. You have definitely helped clear up some confusion for me.

Long story short on the appliance guy... we were referred to him by a gentleman who was helping us via email (friend of a friend) as he used to manage the store this salesman works in. He gave us fantastic pricing on all the appliances we asked for quotes on. We've done all this via email/phone and I've never met him in person. The one appliance I wasn't buttoned up on was the hood. He told me the Prestige hood insert (with 2 blowers = 1200 CFM)is 34 x 15 and I asked him how that would fit in my 36 x 24 wooden range hood. He said, I'd have to get some metal lining to go around the insert but that Prestige did not have that. He suggested I consider the Best vent insert which has an adjustable liner and their 800 CFM blower. Challenge is that from what I've read on this site I'm not sure that 800 CFM is optimal for the Bluestar range.

I've reached out again to Jeff at Modernaire for some additional information and am definitely leaning towards purchasing through him and doing the rest of the appliances with this other company.

One more question for you...I'm meeting with our cabinet maker this coming weekend. Does any of this affect him?

We are doing this a little unconventionally so as to get the most for our budget. We have a kitchen designer that drew up our plans but we are sourcing all ourselves and will have a guy who has been doing all the work on our renovation and acting as our General Contractor (without the cost of a GC) do the installation. When and by who does the liner & blower get installed?

Thanks again for all you help!!!!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Quick answers: I'd build the hood surround and then have Modern Aire build a custom unit to exactly fit your surround. Much better than trying to cram a wrong-sized unit and then patching it up. So if you're going the MA route, you should be able to finalize cab specs and then when you're ready, MA can build to match them.

Our system was installed by a combination of our HVAC contractor (did the ductwork, hung the remote blower), electrician (ran the wiring including our remote switches for light and variable speed control) and our GC (actually mounted the hood and hooked it to the ductwork, fixed the drywall where duct had been retrofitted, etc). Went in relatively early so duct, wiring, etc could be run.

• andybp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

clinresga...Thanks again.

Just reached out to Jeff at Modern Aire again an think I'm going to take your advice and order from them.

• footballmom
    15 years ago

I am certainly no hood expert, but I noticed that your range is 36" as is your hood. It is recommended that the hood be 3" wider on each side of the range to provide for proper capture. If you look at the FKB, you will see most of the pro style ranges have hoods 3" wider on each side. You should have a 42" wide hood for a 36" range, especially if you are going with a Wolf, Blue Star, ect. These ranges provide intense heat and require good fume, vapor capture to avoid damage to surrounding cabinets, walls, ceilings, ect.

• annettesdh
    15 years ago

...and don't forget about needing enough depth on the hood! The BlueStar has it's most powerful burners in front, so it also needs a 27" deep hood to capture cooking exhaust from those front burners or you'll have to compensate with a more powerful fan.

We cook heavily on side-by-side 24RNB and 30RNB ranges under a 60"W by 27"D hood with a 600CFM exhaust fan. It captures all the fumes because it's wide and deep enough so that the fan only has to clear the hood itself instead of also creating a big side-draft.

When I say it captures all the fumes I mean it. We can't even smell what's cooking unless we're within a couple feet of the stove top.

The only downside is that a 27" depth is potentially much more in the way than shallower hoods if it's too low. Make sure you put the bottom edge of the hood above head height if you go this direction.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

There is a balancing act in sizing a hood. From a pure performance standpoint, the best hood would be two feet wider and deeper than your range, and mounted about 18'' above the surface. Only problem is you couldn't reach the burners to cook.

Seriously, there is no single hard and fast rule as to sizing, other than bigger, deeper and lower are better for ventilation. But, those also make it harder to cook, and for taller folks, leads to the recurrent head bumping that can drive you crazy. There is also the aesthetic aspect, where for some, a huge hood just is too much visually. So, yes, some lateral extension is nice. 27'' depth is also nice, but we rejected it based on the head bumping issue and have been very pleased with our hood's function.