Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appliance Package for Kitchen Renovation

Posted by beasty (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 19:37

Hi all, I've been surfing around the site for a couple of weeks now and it has been super helpful in clarifying my thinking on appliance choice.

I am redoing my kitchen and will be getting a new refrigerator, range, microwave and ovens. I've gone to look at appliances a couple of times now, and I think I've narrowed it down, but I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions about what I'm thinking.

Basically, I'm looking for the following;
-- ease of use (ie, not a lot of complicated controls and such, which I just won't use)
-- easy to clean
-- reliability & good customer service
-- safe to have with kids around
-- at least 4 burners
-- fairly quick boil: I cook a lot of pasta
-- an indoor grill/charbroiler as I live in an apartment and don't have an outdoor grill
-- at least 2 ovens, one of which can be a smaller size like you find under a 48inch range

I cook a lot of pasta and I also saute a lot. I use my oven for both roasting stuff and baking cookies, cakes, etc (basically, the sweet stuff). I need to store food for a family of 5 -- right now we have a 36 inch side by side that always seems pretty full (but, really, isn't that the nature of refrigerators).

I live in NYC and although I have a large kitchen for NYC, I don't have unlimited space, especially for upper cabinets. So although I would love wall ovens, I definitely don't have room for 2 of them, and I think I might not have room for even 1 of them. My budget is pretty open -- I'm willing to pay for what I need/want if necessary.

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Refrigerator/Freezer: 42 inch side by side subzero (I looked at other brands, but I was concerned about reliability for some, and I also didn't like the Liebherr or JennAir interiors after seeing them in person, and Miele didn't have quite the configuration I wanted)

2. Range&Ovens:
Either
A) 48 inch wolf dual fuel range (4 burners, 1 griddle, 1 charbroiler) with 1.5 ovens below
or
B) 48 inch bluestar (4 burners, 1 griddle, 1 charbroiler) with 1.5 ovens below
or
C) 36 inch bluestar (4 burners, 1 charbroiler) with 1 oven below and single 30 inch Wolf oven (I don't know whether L or E series would be better)

On the range and oven, I am wondering whether just having gas ovens will be problematic on the baking front.
3. Microwave: sharp microwave drawer

Any thoughts would be very welcome! And thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appliance Package for Kitchen Renovation

I purchased a 36" Capital Culinarian and a 24" Gaggenau wall oven because I think a good electric oven bakes better than a good gas oven.IMO the differences are there but not huge.

People who only own an AG Pro-Range will vigorously argue the opposite. I think if you are baking something that can be centered in the middle of the center rack you are ok. Spread across an entire 36" large oven there are small differences and if you bake on multiple racks there are large difference. 3 racks? Fuhgetabowtit(You understand Newyorker right?)

L-Series vs E-Series. L is the more expensive model with triple pane windows vs two on E series. L has hydraulic hinges so the door never slams open. L has rotating control panel that can be hidden away not available in E and is available in three different SS that match offerings of Sub-Zero while E offers only one SS.

Subjectively, E-series styling is designed to fit with modern European kitchen cabinets.

I think Sub-Zero is a excellent choice as well as the Sharp MW. I own Liebherr All-Fridge,Gaggenau All-Freezer, and a Sharp MW drawer.

I would choose between option B or C. How much you will use a griddle vs a 30" is question only you can answer. My guess would be most people would find C more utilitarian.

o
RE: Appliance Package for Kitchen Renovation

Thanks, deeagaeaux -- you speak poifect Newyorker. A 24 inch oven would be big enough for my cooking purposes, but maybe small enough to solve my space problem. I'll look into it -- thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here