Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polkadotz_gw

Buying used high-end appliances

polkadotz
10 years ago

We're about to remodel our home and have spent time perusing Craigslist and Ebay for high end appliances. Has anyone here bought used appliances? Good/bad experience? What questions should we ask beyond the usual, "has ever been serviced? repaired for any reason?" etc.

We're aware that buying a used appliance means not getting a warranty and are willing to take that risk. We're looking at Wolf and Viking 48" dual fuel ranges & sub zero fridges. We love the look of CornueFe and Bertazzonis but just aren't sure about the reliability.

Comments (9)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

1st I would get the serial numbers of any appliances you are seriously considering and call the company to make sure they are not stolen. Then ask said company about repair history.

I would expect most owners will say everything is great never had a problem never been serviced.

If getting used I would definitely get all gas range. In Wolf no self-clean frying the electronics. I would not consider new Viking ranges or built-in fridges much less used. You will be buying Viking units at the height of the Viking quality woes or very old appliances.

I seriously looked at used Sub Zeroes. At least here in Los Angeles the resale value is ridiculously high. I went with floor model Gaggenau built-in 24" freezer at 70% off and a discontinued 24" built-in Liebherr refrigerator from a liquidator I got for 80% off. And installed them in separate areas of the kitchen.

I would expand your search beyond Wolf Sub Zero. Look for built-in refrigerators and pro style ranges. Or include custom French/Italian ranges.

When bargain hunting on craigslist or ebay you should not narrow your search but expand it.

• polkadotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I think it's a great idea to call about the serial numbers. Although I wonder how many are actually reported stolen. Can't hurt to try. Am I understanding you correctly that the self clean function in the Wolf ranges eventually fries the electronic controls?

I admit I've never heard of Liebherr. Have you been happy with the fridge?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I would say that about 80% of repairs for ovens are directly or indirectly related to the self clean function. From burning electronics to chips on the enamel. The busiest time of year for appliance repair is right before Thanksgiving and Christmas when people turn on the self-clean in order to have a clean oven when in-laws and company come over. It is not just a Wolf thing but self-clean in ovens generally.

Empty houses during full remodels or new house job sites get robbed on a fairly regular basis. If you had $20k Plus in high end appliances stolen wouldn't you report it? My guess is the adjuster at the insurance company would report it in any event as part of his job.

I must have looked at a dozen used Sub Zeroes. One had the serial number removed.

Yeah, I am happy with my choices. After the Gaggenau settled in it was not as tough to open. At the store it seemed like it took a lot of effort to open. After a year or so it longer required a lot of extra effort to open.

One of the reasons I chose the Liebherr was because the door was lighter and easier for my 88 year old father (that lives with us) to open. Most of the built-ins in the store showrooms require much more effort to open that a regular freestanding fridge. Plus, Liebherr did not offer a freezer with ice dispenser. A deal breaker for me.

Liebherr is a very old German refrigeration company. During WW II the Nazi's required them to build cranes and heavy equipment. Now refrigeration is a very small part of their business while cranes and similar equipment is the overwhelming majority of their business.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you buy used from a dealer you usually get a 30-90 day warranty.

During that time, test EVERYTHING.

I've always bought used appliances for rentals and my own home. Check the dealers, tell them what you are looking for, and it's just a matter of waiting.

• lee676
    10 years ago

The only used appliance I bought from a dealer I negotiated the price $200 lower for dropping their 1 or 3-month warranty (the store was a 3 hour drive away, and didn't want to drive out that far to get it repaired under warranty, but I had been searching for this item for a good part of a year). It was demonstrated in the store and worked, and continued to for 4 months after it was installed after which it failed. No serial number on this unit, hmmm.... (it was an independent store but it seemed reputable).

• Kat H
    8 years ago

I m trying to figure out what to sell my Lacance for and if there are high end places like CL but that focus on higher end appliances. Mine is 10 years old but I am single and don't cook much so in great shape. I am upgrading the kitchen to. More contemporary look and it just does not fit even though I love it. Any ideas?

• HU-718683462
    9 months ago

I have a used 48 inch Viking frig/ frezzer for sale. Excellent condition and working order. 352-598-2599

• Tammy Magno
    7 months ago

InInteresti is it still avilavailable and if so how much ?