Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprtphntc7a

36' induction..which brand? HELP

sprtphntc7a
13 years ago

was really set on miele, but then started reading reviews and wolf got really high marks, and so did electrlx, but not as high. i know know the miele is $3,000, but not sure of other prices, so if anyone has that, that would be great! if you have one, let me know why u chose it. any info would be great!! thanks so much for all your help on this and other threads!! much appreciated - have a good one!!!

Comments (34)

• attofarad
    13 years ago

Miele has timers that can turn off burners, if that is a feature of interest. Last time I checked, Electrolux did not. Wolf does not.

I wouldn't have a problem buying Miele, Thermador, Bosch, Electrolux, Electrolux Icon, GE. The GE requires a bit more depth below the cabinet, but their price has come way down.

If you are of the temperament that can buy on eBay and maybe not have a warranty, there are new/display units in the $1k-$1.5k range.

I think any of these will do a great job. Other than price, I would evaluate cosmetics, burner arrangement, how the controls work, how much the surface shows fingerprints. Some can be flush mounted, some may not.

I haven't really seen much in the way of Wolf reviews, other than the comment that someone liked the surface for not showing every little spec.

Here is a link that might be useful: 36

• mudworm
    13 years ago

I've been attracted to Bosch 500 Series 36 induction cooktop for following reasons:
    1) true timers (as in Miele too)
    2) direct touch time input (instead of scrolling using +/-)
    3) direct touch heat setting (again without scrolling).

Wish it were all black like the Miele, but I can live with the two stainless steel borders top and bottom. (Cannot stand the closed up borders though as in some other brands.)

• kashmi
    13 years ago

mudworm: Do you have the Bosch? We're leaning in that direction as well for of the very attributes you mention + burner/hob placement (though we're looking at 36"). It would be nice to know if you are pleased with its operation, especially pan recognition for "off-sized" pans.

The Wolf has no stainless steel, but is considerably more expensive. Plus we don't read much about Wolf induction cooktops on GW.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I've been using the 36" Electrolux Icon since late Nov. and I can't say enough good about it. The burner placement was the deciding factor for me.
    The timer is very simple, it's just a timer that dings when the time is up. I would never use multiple timers anyway, I hardly use this one. I don't usually leave the kitchen with stuff on the stove. You still need to stir, watch for boiling, guess I'm more of a hands on cook.

Nancy

• boschboy
    13 years ago

I have the Bosch 800 series and agree with mudworm on the reasons for purchasing. In addition to those the 800 series has the heat setting buttons built into the stainless steel. I really liked the overall look.

I have no issues with pan recognition for either small pans on the larger hobs or large pans on smaller hobs.

• mudworm
    13 years ago

No, I don't own one yet. It's one of the appliances I've set my mind on for purchasing once we get to that stage of our remodeling. I'd love to hear more user feakback too!

• cj47
    13 years ago

I have the Miele, purchased before the bosch came out with true timers. I love the hob placement, I use the timers all of the time, and I also like that there is no place for crumbs and crud to get caught anywhere on the surface of the cooktop. I like that you can change some of the settings if you want to. It's a joy to work with, you can get a true simmer, melt chocolate without a bain marie, etc. etc. I expect you can do the same on many if not all of the induction cooktops. Love it.

Cj

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

boschboy - we are pretty set on the 800 series too. Do you recall what the undercabinet clearance is for this unit? What vent hood did you use ?

• newtoremodel
    13 years ago

We're also about to go with a 36" induction cooktop. I can't find much feedback about the Thermador products. I believe that they're similar to the Bosch products. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on the Thermador induction units? Thanks!

• boschboy
    13 years ago

With the Bosch 800 series I needed 4" of space under the counter. I had no issues with this as I just had storage under my old coil cooktop.
    You can check out the induction site also as they list the under counter requirements for all brands. They make it pretty simple.
    http://theinductionsite.com/makers.shtml
    Right now I just have an OTR microwave as a re-circulating vent. Ugh. I am looking a various 36" hoods and trying to decide which one to purchase. I am leaning towards the Best WT32I362SB 600 CFM model.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

I have now had my Miele 36" KM 5773 Induction Cooktop about 2 months. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I LOVE this cooktop! The looks and performance are phenomenal! It is actually a pleasure to clean. The top is so smooth and there are no grooves, knobs, trim, panels, etc, etc to harbor or hide any spills, splashes or crumbs!

Besides from the built in kitchen (basic) timer, each burner has it's own shut off time timer. This is AMAZING for rice, and recipes that call for a specific amount of simmering or cooking. I use the auto shut off timer EVERY day!

I looked at the Thermador silver mirror finish Induction Cooktop, The Electrolux and some GE model. I think the Miele is actually less expensive than the Thermador and not much more than the Electrolux. Seems the Miele and Bosch are also comparably priced!

We have NINE Miele appliances, and I do not think I would consider another brand. Over the years I have tried Electrolux, Samsung Wolf, Thermador, Jenn Air and Frigidaire...and I ALWAYS return to Miele. Their quality, performance, company history/pride and that they provide and do their OWN in home servicing is spectacular!!

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

• sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LARSI:
    thanks for the great pic. i am definitely going with the miele cooktop. less expensive than wolf, and from what i was told from the saleman in the store, he feels its better or just as good as wolf and about $1,000 less. i am still up in the air about a 30" oven. i am def. getting the miele speed oven not sure "chef or "master chef" but i still need to get a "30 full size oven. really leary about miele, so can anyone recommend a reliabe brand??
    can go with wolf e series, quoted $3745. and miele chef $3,000 and mstr chef $4,000. honestly $3-4 grand for ONE oven is insane, but what r u going to do???

any help would be awesome, thanks everyone!!!!!

• beth
    13 years ago

larsi, what is the width of your cabinet?

• thynes1501
    13 years ago

I don't think there's necessarily a brand to avoid when it comes to induction cooktops. It seems when I researched mine, there were no widespread complaints of any brand. As indicated throughout this thread it really comes down to style, features, hob placement, and price point.

newtoremodel, we have the 36" Thermador mirror finished induction cooktop and we like it alot. Our decision came down to the Miele, the Thermador, and the Bosch, and the Thermador won because of the mirror finish (didn't want all black or black with s.s. strips). I'm sure we would have been equally happy with the performance of the Miele and Bosch.

The shut-off timers have actually turned out to be a neat feature that we use quite a bit. My wife finds it valuable for quite a few recipes. Me, I use it every morning. I put our eggs on boil with power boost (boils in a minute, just enough time to feed the puppy!), then reduce to 7.5, set the timer for 13 minutes and forget about it while going about the morning routine (shower, get our little girl ready for school, etc).

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

pasture19...what do you mean? The cooktop is 36 in, the Miele vent hood is 36'. That particular strech of granit is about 5.5 or 6 feet.

Sprtphntc....The Miele Speed Oven is the BEST appliance I have ever owned. The induction cooktop is incredible, but the Miele Speed Oven is so great...everyone who uses it, is so impressed.

I had problem with the Miele 30" Master Chef and getting hot enough, but it has never broken, or needed a real "repair". After the last update, it does preheat much faster and does seem a little hotter. I just adjust my recipes. The build quality, ease of use and aesthetics are beyond compare!!!!

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Larsi,Have you since found a way to deal with the dry outides and the wet middle with your oven since your last post in the Miele Thread "Miele Oven Temps--please measure yours"?

Can you in "Good Conscience" recommend to Sprtphntc that she buy either the Master Chef, or Non Master Chef Ovens?

Your info is "Spot on" as far as the Speed oven goes, as well as the Miele Induction, alto as posted, ppl seem happy with about any induction unit they buy.

If you haven't yet, just google Miele oven temps, Sprtphntc. You will see that the temp problem has existed for some time, like post "Why isn't the crust on my baked bread brown like it was in my old oven", as well as actual temps taken and compared to that which the oven said it was.

I don't recommend that you google "Miele Oven Temp Problems" as doing that would tend to give a more "negative
    view" that may not be completely in agreement with "Reality".

As far as I can tell, right now, and it could just be a lack of info, or maybe ppl that bought the Miele ovens, most bought the Master Chef, so just not enough data to say
    that only the Master Chef's models had/have the temp problem.

Still no info on the software update, hopefully Soon.

We really like our Miele DW, but as been posted over and over again, "No One company excells at Everything"

Gary

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

@dodge59/Gary,

I have the Master Chef Miele 30" oven. I have read some reviews of 30" non-Master Chef owners...and they seem to not have temperature issues.

Since my last update about a year ago, the oven does, in all honesty, work a lot better. It preheats now SO quickly. I have also learned, by A LOT, of trial and error that SURROUND and INSTENSIVE bake work the best. I do use the Auto Roast feature for whole chickens, and that seems to work quite well. For the temperature probe..I do not like, nor trust it in either oven. I also did not loke, nor trust it in when I had Wolf Ovens, Jenn-Air or even in my old, British Creda ovens 20 years ago.

With a clear conscience I would recommend the Miele Ovens, based on pure build quality and Miele Customer Service. For roasts, chickens, casseroles and most cookies....the Oven does work amazing! Cakes do not come out that great, but for cakes I just use the Speed Oven...and the results are pretty great!!

I have the Miele W4842 Washing machine, T9802 Dryer, 36" Induction Cooktop, La Perla II dishwasher, 36" Vent Hood 30" Oven, Speed Oven, and 2 Miele Canister vacuums. Besides the Oven and some temp issues...my Miele appliances are awesome. But, with my Wolf 30" Oven and Jenn-Air 30" oven...I do not think they worked any better than my current Miele Oven! I am on my 3rd house with all Miele appliances over the last almost 20 years!

• beth
    13 years ago

Hi larsi. I was asking about the cabinet under the cooktop. I noticed that the Miele 36" requires an opening that is greater than 36", so I am trying to figure out what to do about size of cabinet it fits into. A regular 36" cabinet has an opening about 34 1/2". Country_smile has a 30" under hers with special drawers in the cabs on either side that her cabinetmaker fixed up. She also has an oven underneath.

Also, your black granite is totally gorgeous. What a smart idea.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

pasture19, my Miele 36" cooktop is an a 36" cab. The plywood subcounter and granite lift it up, but a small maybe 1/4" strip had to be cut out of the cabinet on the sides. Only cab that it was in, not the neighboring cabs. If that makes sense...

My drawer underneath had to be modified a bit too to not hit the power supply.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks Pasture! Our cabinet below the Miele cooktop is a standard 36" cabinet.

We had a slide in Range before, and we "created" this set up ourselves. A standard 36" cabinet below, the Miele cooktop sits on the existing granite counters and then we made a "frame" of absolute black granite and added the black granite front piece (and had the front granite scalloped to match the counter front lip). We chose black granite, because we knew we could never match the exsisting beige/speckled/swirled granite in the whole kitchen. The black granite picks up the black specks in the beige granite. :)

• beth
    13 years ago

Thank you larsi. I was thinking that I had to order a different cooktop or a custom cab that was wider than 36" because of the Miele cutout requirement. Really relieved to know that 36 works. You have inspired me.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

pasture19... yay! So glad I could help. Trust me...you are going to LOVE, LOVE the Miele 36" Induction Cooktop. It's been a few months since I switched from gas to Induction....and I will NEVER go back to gas! The control is better than gas. The kitchen stays cool and clean up, wow clean up is a breeze.

I remember with my gas cooktop, gas rangetop or gas range...if I had just cleaned, I would avoid doing anything that involved oil or butter. Now, I just see how much frying mess I can make, because cleaning always just takes like 30 seconds with a little water and a microfiber rag!!! Such a pleasure!!!!!

• mudworm
    13 years ago

Larsi, I hope you don't mind me having started a new thread on Kitchen Forum asking you for more details about your cooktop frame (I'm not the only one interested). Could you please shed some lights for us?

• miniscule
    13 years ago

It really is amazing and wonderful how the induction cooktop has finally taken off in North America. I wanted one for years, scouting them out while waiting for our previous appliances and kitchen to get to renovation state. It doesn't seem all that long ago that the Miele was available in Canada (practically the only brand at the time that was) but apparently not readily in the USA.

By 2 years ago when we renovated, there was much more choice, but prices were still not very competitive. We opted for the 36 inch Electrolux Icon as it was much less expensive than the lovely Miele, and very well-tested. Absolutely no regrets, it is a delight.

Of course most people don't change their appliances very often, but we don't know anyone else at all who has induction in their kitchen!

My oldest daughter recently updated her kitchen, and would like to replace her slide-in range with a two-oven induction range. We will be keenly interested in any advice on that...

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

I have Thermador and am not at all happy with the controls. You have to scroll for temps and sometimes it takes some back and forth to get the right number. I ordered a Miele for our 2nd home reno and expect to like that one better.

• attofarad
    13 years ago

Coastal -- Which Thermador model do you have? I think that they made some slight changes in the controls when they went to the "G" versions.

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

It is a CIT365DS and yes I see they have made some changes! I hope for the better, because other than the controls it was fine. And I should add, after 2 years my glass broke/cracked and they replaced it no questions. But I especially like the look of the Miele compared to the newer model Thermador.

• karenlk10
    12 years ago

I'm leaning towards the Bosch as well and can't seem to figure out why the 800 series is nearly $500 more than the 500 series. Other than the controls being ON the stainless strip instead of above it, they look exactly the same!!!! I posted a link to the Bosch website.
    what do you think?

The Electrolux EW30IC60I does seem nice as well, but I"m not so excited about the salt/pepper look of the unit.

Here is a link that might be useful: bosch compare 800 and other series

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I have the GE Profile, though the 30" instead of the 36". I was choosing between it and the Bosch 30". While I am very happy with the GE and got a great price on it, I can see the individual timers on the Bosch (and of course the Miele) might have been useful when I boil my soft-boiled eggs every morning. Though I must admit I do not understand Thynes post about using the timer for his or her eggs. 13 minutes at 7.5??? Either our cooktops are extremely different, or you want your eggs hard as a rock! My soft-boiled eggs come out perfect at L (even less than 1) for 3 minutes on my GE. The GE just has a timer that does not shut off the burner, and I can see it might be nice to have a timer that actually shuts off the burner. But 13 minutes!! I don't want to wait that long in the morning.

• karenlk10
    12 years ago

I finally figured out the difference between the 500 and the 800. It's those two little hobs with autochef. Duh. Now the question I need to decide quickly is whether that or the silver strip controls is important to me.
    And Vitamins, thanks for the input. You help me decide on the Bosch line.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

wizardnm - do you know what your largest burner surface and boost power is on your Icon? Also, when you turn up the power on a burner, how does that display? Is it numbers or visual? TIA

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

vitamins - I bet our cooktops are pretty similar. My wife will only eat eggs that are totally/completely hard boiled. At 10 minutes there is one tiny, barely perceptible, soft boiled area directly in the center of the yolk and that, apparently, renders the egg inedible. So I put them on a medium boil (7.5 on the Thermador), set the timer at 13 minutes, go about my morning, and she has perfect (for her!) eggs when she gets up!

• vitamins
    12 years ago

thynes,

Thanks for the explanation. I kinda figured it must be something like that. The first time you posted about the 13 minutes (in another thread), I thought maybe it was a typo and you meant 3 minutes. Now I understand! And I can certainly see the usefulness of a timer that turns the burner off in your case. Since I am only waiting 3 minutes, I just do other things in the kitchen (make my toast, have some coffee, etc.), but I do still see that the timers on the Bosch I was considering would have been nice.