Houzz Logo Print
leonk_gw

KA range - burner power (and Capital q)

leonk
16 years ago

All,

We are planning to buy KA gas range

http://www.kitchenaid.ca/en/ProductFeatures/KGSS907SSS.html

However, we're not sure about the power.

I haven't used gas range in 20 years and have no idea what BTU means in practical terms, like how long it takes to boil a gallon of water on a burner...

This range comes with following burners:

# TripleTier 600-15,000 BTU burner

# Power burner 12,500 BTU

# Two 6,000 BTU simmer burners

What do you think - is it enough.

We don't cook many dishes at once, but having just 2 proper working burners and 2 simmer burners can be not sufficient.

BTW, there's Capital range on sale now for $3000.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/GCR305.html

Looks like good price. Is it a good range?

We like it more than KA, but it's more than $1k more expensive.

Comments (3)

• eandhl
    16 years ago

In addition to more powerful burners you also get an Infrared broiler with the capitol.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

You'll find even the most powerful gas burner isn't going to boil water as quickly as an electric burner will, and they really lose in the race with induction. Gas does have other advantages, however, so here's a few things you might want to think about:

1) Layout. I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool gas range with two PowerPlus burners, and the burner configuration is very similar. My previous range had the second most-powerful burner in the back, which I greatly disliked. I use a lot of large pans, and needed both Plus burners up front, which my current range has.

However, do you use, or want to use, a griddle? It's more difficult to get an even temp across two burners when they're different sizes, believe me! It can be done, but seldom as well as having same-sized burners.

One thing such residential stoves do very well is simmer. The simmer is incredible on my Kenmore, and the oven is adjustable in 5-degree increments.

The downside - and this is a serious one - the oft-expressed concern on these boards about how long the computer boards used on most ranges will last under the heat/steam/bake conditions of a range.

I can tell you my experience has been extremely negative in this respect. The board on our previous 1990 Kenmore/Frig gas range was going a little flakey, but still working fine, when I gave it my niece in 2004.

The 2004 Kenmore/WP range, however, had the board blow out in March 2007. We tried a reconditioned board to save some money - that blew out in October 2007. Yes, six months and $300 wasted; believe me I kicked myself for not buying the extended warranty they offered. The new board and a 2-year warranty hit us up for another $400.

Mind you, these costs, in a single year, were for a range that prices at $1100, tops. So the boards are a CONSIDERABLE expense - and no one I know of offers more than a 5-yr warranty.

OTOH, at the price for the Capital you are not getting self-cleaning ovens. So you are back to Easy-off, which admittedly is a lot easier to use these days than when my mom donned her rubber gloves.

The Capital has an excellent rep (started by ex-DCS folks) as an excellent quality, closed burner, pro-style range. If you are willing to spend the extra $$, you'll get something that will probably last longer than any KA, and not have the electronics issue.

Oh, and if you get the Capital, make sure you get a good hood that's 27" deep, vented to the outside. Standard wimpy rangehoods for Whirlpool/Frig stoves won't make the grade here. You need that extra depth because 24" hoods totally miss the steam and grease coming off the front burners. My Broan Allure III (another rip-off, sigh) can barely handle my Kenmore burners.

Me, I can't fit a 30" range in my space - another thing to kick myself about - so I'm torn between a 24" BS which will leave an ugly hole in my cabinet run, or a 27" Lacanche which will seriously damage the pocketbook.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your question about water boiling. A long-gone discussion thread had many people doing a test of their various model stoves. Now, this wasn't scientific, of course - some of us didn't measure our tap water temps when we started. But we all started with the same amount of water and then timed how long it took to boil water.

As it happens, I can be specific because I just boiled 6 quarts of tap water (we're in Northern CA, so figure it was probably 50-60 degree water?) on my Kenmore 14.4K Power burner, in a 7 qt Calphalon pot (heavy, but not as heavy as cast iron), with the lid on. It took slightly over 15 minutes to come to a rolling boil.

Hope this helps! For really quick boiling 2 qts or under, nothing beats an electric teakettle, I'm afraid.