Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have alternatives to GE Spacemaker pem31smss?

Posted by eoren1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 18:28

When we bought our house and gutted the kitchen, we installed the GE Spacemake MW [pem31smss]. It was perfect - small, discrete and fit in the alloted space of the cabinet (12" deep, 24" wide, 12" high).

Fast forward a few years and we started to notice what looked like rust or peeling paint on the interior ceiling of the MW. Had some time so I googled for a fix and now am scared to use it. Apparently the paint in these GEs is very prone to flaking off and leaving the bare metal. That ends up leading to arcs when cooking and potential fires.

I've tried to find a suitable alternative but can't find anything that would fit in that space now. Our counterspace is at a premium so losing a 20"x16" spot would hurt.

Anyone have advice on a quality MW that might fit without too much problems? I'm almost considering the Panasonic NN-SD681S Genius "Prestige" 1.2 cuft which would stick out 4 inches. Wondering if I could break into the wall and recess it a bit to get the fit right...

Thanks in advance,
E

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have alternatives to GE Spacemaker pem31smss?

Did a bunch more research on this and decided the options are:
1. Buy same MW from Bestbuy and fork over $80 for 4 yr replacement coverage. Cost: $380
2. Spend $200 more for the GE Monogram one but no idea if paint an issue there as well. Reviews far harder to come by. Cost: $580
3. Convert the space to an open shelf and stick the microwave on the counter. Cost: $150

o
RE: Anyone have alternatives to GE Spacemaker pem31smss?

Look at the Sharp R-1214 - it fits in an upper cabinet.

And yes, you can recess a MW into the wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here