Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Drop-in versus slide-in gas cooktop

tracey_b
14 years ago

And yet another question......

Which is preferable (I've never had a separate cooktop)? It seems the slide-in's are more expensive, but is there any savings in the granite department? With a slide-in, I'd have 2 pieces of granite on either side of my cooktop (about 3 ft each), but if it's a drop-in, that'd require a continuous run of granite, wouldn't it???

Aaargh....

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I think what you mean is a rangetop vs. a cooktop, right? You mentioned the difference in how the granite will be fabricated, but IMHO, I don't think that's what should influence your decision. Neither one is "preferable" as you put it--it depends on your personal cooking style and taste. Here are some differences between cooktops and rangetops:

- most rangetops have all the burners the same btu's, while cooktops usually have different btu's on different burners. This is a matter of personal cooking preference: Some people like that a cooktop might have a dedicated simmer burner or high-power burner. Other people would prefer the rangetop's burners are all the same so they don't have to think about which pot should go on which burner.

- there is more room under a cooktop for an additional drawer. A rangetop will use that space so you'll lose a drawer.

- rangetop has knobs along the front, which means you have to bend a bit to look at the knobs. On the other hand, the cooktop has the knobs easily viewed on top. But the downsides to the cooktop's knob placement are (a) they take up real estate on the cooking surface, meaning your burners are more crowded than they'd be with a rangetop, and (b) the cooktop knobs are quite close to the hot pots, particularly the style that has the knobs running down one side of the cooktop--you may not want to have to reach your arm along there.

- aesthetics: the cooktop is a sleeker look. The rangetop is heavier, more restaurant-professional look.

P.S. You don't say what size you are looking at. Whichever style you prefer, I would get at least 36" size.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for enlightening me on the differences! I was just using them interchangeably. Now I can at least talk to the appliance guy and ask about the right thing :-) Yes, I'm wanting a 36".

• mamaduckling
    14 years ago

akchicago - excellent discussion. I've been going through the same dilema and your response to tracey_b is helpful.

• amcook
    14 years ago

Unless you've got specific issues with your countertops or storage space, I'd suggest going with the rangetop. Here are my reasons:

- Options in rangetops far exceed those for cooktops in the pro gas market. If you're looking for electric/induction, then cooktop is the way to go.

- For most high end manufacturers, rangetop is just the top half of a full range. Or another way to look at it is a range is just a union of a rangetop and an oven below. Servicing and parts are likely to be cheaper and easier to find.

- Knobs for rangetops are positioned in the front rather than the top. Yes, if you've got kids this might be a concern but frankly, if my kids won't listen to me to not go into the kitchen and play with the stove, then they could easily get one of their chairs and reach the knobs on top pretty easily. Not having the knobs on top is nice when cooking because they don't get hot or get in the way.

I had to go with a cooktop because of our cabinet and counter configuration but I would have much preferred a full range or rangetop. I ended up with a Bluestar cooktop because they were the only ones that sold a high-end open burner cooktop.

Good luck.

• billhoran
    12 years ago

What about cooking area size? It seems to me like rangetops are bigger and roomier and you can have bigger pots and pans going at the same time. Cooktops seem like they're smaller and get crowded more easily.

• HU-885670110
    2 years ago

This is a great discussion. I am doing my research now for a kitchen update early next year. I will do a separate post with more questions.