Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cavaliere Range Hood -- looking for reviews

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 18:15

I am looking for a modern looking, 42" stainless steel, wall mounted range hood with a minimum 800 cfm. I am finding few options that are 42" and over 600 cfm.

My designer suggested the Cavaliere Euro AP238-PSZ-42 42" Wall Mount Range Hood. It has the look I want with 860 cfm. I can buy it online for $640, plus the cost of a custom chimney to deal with my vaulted ceiling that is 10' tall at the range location. Is the Cavaliere a decent hood? It will be going over a 36" Wolf AG 4 burner + grill range (80,000 total BTU).

I wish I could afford the Modern-Aire PS-16, but at $2900 for 600 cfm or $3500 for 1200 cfm, it is a budget buster. The rest of the appliances are high end (Wolf/Gagg/Thermador), but were purchased at significant discounts when a local store went out of business. I don't want the hood to look cheap and out of place, but I have to be very careful of costs going forward. My BIL recently lost his job and we have been sending his family money for rent, so we've lost some of the money that was set aside for the reno.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cavaliere Euro AP238-PSZ-42

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cavaliere Range Hood -- looking for reviews

We have the Island mount version of the same hood which is 900cfm and I can tell you without a doubt, it is not powerful enough to contain all the smoke your range will put out. We have a 36" Capital culinarian with a chargrill, so this is pretty much an apples to apples comparison.

It gets along OK for most simple tasks, but if you cook something that really has a lot of smoke/grease, it just gets overwhelmed.

We were kind of in the same boat as you, picked up higher end appliances for bottom basement prices and took a gamble on this hood thinking it might be adequate given the specs. At some point we will probably be purchasing something similar to the setup you mentioned you cant afford. My advice would be to bite the bullet and do it right the first time so you dont end up like us :( Not only will we have to replace the hood, but the ducting on the cavalier is only 6inch, so we will likely need to replace that as well. Nothing like cutting holes in the ceiling of your brand new kitchen!!

Hindsight 20/20....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here