Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New home, want to get built in fridge, but existing cutout doesn'

Posted by boxta (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 18:08

Recently bought a new home, I always imagined I would have a sub zero built in fridge in my new home. However, the new home already has new cabinetry (remodeled in 2010), so I don't feel like redoing all the cabinets.

The current fridge cutout of the cabinet is standard 76*36.5*27.5 ... so standard 36 cabinet depth fridge basically

all built in fridge is 84 high I believe..

so what should I do now?? is it easy to still satisfy my dream (get a built in)? Or should I give up.

it seems to me there are few options

1) get a free standing one that makes it look built in.. i am not sure if subzero makes fridge those sizes, but i think viking does??? not sure how that fits

2) redo the cabinets just for that fridge section, and put a sub zero in there..

I have no clue how the cost would be if i redo the cabinets...

also frankly.. besides the look.. and the "sturdy feel" of a built in.. what else is different besides built in and free standing ones.. is the built in one bigger inside?? (it kinda feels like it, but i never measure)

what should I do?

thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New home, want to get built in fridge, but existing cutout do

"besides the look.. and the "sturdy feel" of a built in.. what else is different besides built in and free standing ones."

You just answered your own question. If you aren't up on what the differences are, then you'll never notice which kind you have once it's installed. And no, built ins are smaller on the inside than a "regular" fridge because the box is smaller. I wouldn't categorize them as having a sturdy feel either.

o

boxta - Our two Sub Zeros were installed in 1987 when we renovated the house and enlarged the kitchen. When the time comes to replace them we'll have to confront the same problem. Since I want to be ready for that day and not be forced to make a quick decision that I might be unhappy with later I called a cabinetmaker to check and let me know what was possible.

We do have a small cabinet above both the freezer and refrigerator and above that is a soffit. The cabinet maker said he'd be able to remove the cabinets without altering the soffit which would allow enough space for the taller Sub Zeros. Since our cabinets were custom we asked our original contractor to make sure we had plenty of leftover trim and panels just in case of a future remodeling.

If you're still interested in a built in then I'd suggest you call a contractor or cabinet maker and have them look to see if it's feasible and get an estimate. That just might help you decide.

o

Liebherr has their 36" FD in an 80" height. In fact the 84" version is still the same 80" compartment with doors that are 4" taller. Could that fit your 76" opening with less modification?

o

2010 cabinets are probably still in production. Usually the cabs above a frig are deeper than others and are installed with several screws that can be removed. The manufacturer or local rep can match your finish on the pieces needed for your new install. The sz site has fab and install info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here