Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

Quick help please on choosing kitchen appliances!

foodfiend_gardener
11 years ago

I have a budget of $10-12,000 for appliances for my new kitchen and thought that it would be easy but, well, my head is about to explode.

I am leaning toward a cooktop (with hood) and double oven rather than a range (with hood), but I also like the look of a professional-style range. I guess that it will come down to price.

I need a 5-burner and really like the continuous cast-iron grates that I have now.

I want a side-by-side refrigerator with an in-door ice/ water dispenser.

I have no idea about a dishwasher, it has been so long since I bought one...

I'd like all to be stainless steel and, well, DH thinks that because it's a high-end home we should have high-end appliances, but I'd rather opt for reliability and function.

Please-- ANY suggestions, hints, etc. would be very, very helpful. Even if I knew what manufacturers to stay away from would help. I spent another couple of hours today reading about product reliability, which appliances are the "best rated", etc. and I'm not much further along in the process than I was when I started.

THANK YOU!

This post was edited by foodfiend_gardener on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 22:03

Comments (4)

• whit461
    11 years ago

I feel your anguish. Some people chose appliances so all the handles matched. Or all the same brand regardless of reliability across all the units. Here's what we did. Great deal on GE monogram pro DF range though we originally wanted a gas cooktop and double wall oven. We feel like for cooking the way we do, the GE will be better than most except Wolf. Adding a GE Advantium 240V wall oven, which will take care of 4 appliances in one. Bosch 800 Plus DW, Nantucket sink stainless 32" zero radius, Delta Trinsic faucet. Staying with old Kenmore Elite cafe fridge till it croaks. Can't won't live without or Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee maker.we tried to get the best deal on one of the best appliances in its class and price point. I admit to getting stuck in paralysis by analysis especially on the DW. All the appliances are in our LR, cabs arrived toay and are in the garage, final demo push this weekend and Monday.

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I'm not alone?!? ;)
    Congratulations on making your decisions, they sound like great ones!

I can't do the shopping around like I did when we renovated our kitchen years ago because we are buying through the builder and also the new house is 6 hours away. So what I have to do is review the appliances and their ratings and figure out what is best for me and what fits into our budget.

I keep hearing that Bosch dishwashers are wonderful,as are Meile (sp?). I'm off to look at the GE Monogram Pro line. Wish that I didn't have to deal with dialup,though, these websites with lots of photos are excruciatingly slow. :(

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Dialup? That is remote!

I ended up paying a similar amount, and managed to find several combinations within that budget. Some of the mfg deals will get you access to high end brands and still fit within the budget. However, you will likely have to not be able to do a built-in fridge without compromising somewhere else.

A range is possible -- an AG Wolf would give the marquee name your husband covets. Paired with the KA with Pro Handles, a low-end Miele, a Sharp or GE MW, and a Kobe hood and you are still under budget. Similarly, a Thermador comes with a free Bosch-made matching DW, and you can pair with the same fridge/MW/hood combo and maybe even upgrade your MW to an Advantium.

Probably I should have asked, what exactly do you need in that budget?

This post was edited by gooster on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 23:31

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remote... prehistoric... I've dealt with it forever but now there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I can't wait! ;)

Thanks SO much for the recommendations, they really helped me to get a direction. In the budget are a range or cooktop/ wall oven (s), a hood, a refrigerator, and dishwasher. I'm not sure if I want a built-in refrigerator or not, that depends on the kitchen design (which is imminent, I think).

I keep waffling between a range and a cooktop/ double wall oven. I really like the Wolf 5-burner gas cooktop and a Bosch 800 series double electric wall oven, and they are half of the cost of a Wolf dual-fuel range. A friend has a gas cooktop and an electric oven (both Thermador) and recommends going that way (we both bake a lot), but I've always had an all-gas range (and DH likes the look of an all-in-one unit). Any thoughts on this?