Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooknkpl

Bluestar Oven Quality?

cooknkpl
10 years ago

I bought a 36" RNB 3+ yrs. ago. From Day 1, I had problems with the oven baking evenly. Numerous phone calls with service & BS. Never resolved.

Moved out of state. Left BS behind. New kitchen remodel; and of course new range. Was pretty set on a Viking. But now thinking of going back to the BS. I already have a Viking electric oven, (LOVE IT!!!). But I love the BS top, just hated the oven. So, I'm hoping my experience was an anomaly. The Viking (new series 7), MSRP $11,990). BS, $6,300 w/D&I.

Anyone have any feedback on their own experience with the 36" oven? The picture is a pan of biscuits at 450 for 5 minutes.

Thx!

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I would go with Capital Culinarian or American Range Performer Series before Viking 7 Series.

Or even DF Capital Connoisseurian

25k btu power burners and small pot burner that can go down to 500 btu.

Moist assist that can be turned on to simulate gas oven and motorized rotisserie that can handle upto 40 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connoisseurian

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I have the 36" RNB. I really like the oven when I use it (because it is so big I use my smaller speed oven a lot of the time). The fan is a bit loud. No problem with evenness.

• ChristyMcK
    10 years ago

Any chance you could do a cooktop / rangetop and separate oven(s)? That'd give you flexibility in choosing your oven. If I had that kind of trouble I'd be hard pressed to buy another BS. I heard somewhere Wolf is coming out with new models starting in April - I have no idea if they'll put out open burners. Capital might be another option if you want open burners. Good luck.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I've had my 36" RNB a little over a year, and have had no problems with the oven. I love it, it does take a while to pre heat, but I'm used to it now and just turn it on while prepping.
    Here's last night's quiche after 35 min. @ 425* ...nice and even

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

....and here's a pizza cooked at 500* for about five or six minutes :)

• thull
    10 years ago

We haven't had any issues with our 36" RNB (installed ~8 years ago). Ours has a square pizza stone permanently sitting on the oven floor.

It's a really simple oven, right? Burner, vents/gaps in oven floor to let in heat, and a vent out the top rear corner to let exhaust out. Temperature sensor for the thermostat mounted up high in the back.

I only can think of two things that might make it do that. First, the burner either was off-center or had a flaw where the output was more on one side than the other. Second, that the airflow was different on one side than the other due to how/where it was installed. More air to the left side might cool that side of the oven faster than the right side. Our range has cabinets on both sides, so I don't think that could happen, for example.

I'm open to other theories.

• cooknkpl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx for the info peeps. Basically, I'm trying to decide Viking Dual Fuel, (I already have the electric wall oven and it bakes PERFECTLY!), or Bluestar. I had the 36" RNB for 3yrs, and LOVED the range; but frustrated with oven as previously stated. I bought a new house, re-did the kitchen, and the space is ready already for a 36" range. I'm trying to convince myself that my prior issue was an anomaly. Especially since the new (not even released yet), Viking Series 7 is TWICE the price of the BS!

Here is a picture of my newly done kitchen. You'll see the "temp range" sitting there.

• wekick
    10 years ago

"Moist assist that can be turned on to simulate gas oven"

It did used to be thought that a gas oven was a moist heat because water is released as a product of combustion. It turns out that there is more ventilation in a gas oven so that moisture is ventilated out. This dry heat produces increased browning and crispiness. Check out some of the baking forums. I can't really see a use for adding a little moisture (not steam as stated on the website) to an electric oven that already holds moisture. It won't keep food from drying out except very superficially. Keeping something moist on the outside would inhibit browning.