Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tadhg555

It's go time! Appliance choices

tadhg555
12 years ago

After a rather lengthy wait, we finally received approval from the city permitting office on our kitchen remodel, so now I have to actually bite the bullet and commit to our appliances. I would love to hear some thoughts on my potential choices.

Some background: We're a family of four. Dad (me) enjoys cooking though I don't always have the time for elaborate meals. We like to entertain (e.g. dinner parties or brunches for friends a few times a month). For our appliances we're looking for quality on a moderate budget (like most everyone else).

Rangetop: Bluestar 36" 6-burner rangetop (I really liked the CC but I'm afraid if we encountered simmer issues it would prove to be a deal breaker)

Wall Oven: Electrolux Wavetouch 30" single oven (Reminds me of my Honda, solid and reliable -- am I right?)

Speed Oven/Micro: GE Advantium 240 (Will be used for quick weekday meals as well as a second oven for entertaining)

Hood: Imperial Hood 42" 900 CFM

Fridge: Liebherr CS2062 36" French door

Dishwasher: Miele Futura Classic

Warming Drawer: Sharp (for $300 at AJ Madison I'm willing to try it out)

Comments (10)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I suspect you have been reading this forum for a while.

• tadhg555
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha! Too much, maybe.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Tag - you must be getting excited!
    I went with the Wolf e series and the GE advantium - a lot of my super chef friends tried to talk me into 2 ovens - but no kids, so the second oven would just take up space most of the time. Should be installed soon.
    We already have the Miele DW and love it! Different model but I am sure most are similar.
    Marcolo and tag - yup - we are all addicted!

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

hi tag,
    here's a shout out for the liebherr frig.. i have the hcb2062, should be the same guts basically, although i do have the biofresh, which really does make a difference, was skeptical, but i'm sold on it.

installed in sept and love it. quiet as a mouse and more than enough space. have no complaints. it is tall, but i am not having any problems, i'm 5'3". we are a fam of 5 and its fine. freezer is adequate, but we do have a full freezer downstairs, so not an issue for us.
    imho, i think that's a great decision.

we have a miele dishwasher and love it.
    we went with induction, awesome, and different ovens, so can't comment on them.

best of luck with everything!!!

• jscout
    12 years ago

Looks like you made some great choices. Good luck with the project.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I've had the Elux Icon single oven for more than 5 years now.
    Yep, solid, reliable, great performance. Love the glide out shelves , large oven window and the wavetouch controls.

Good decision to go with a single oven---they have a far better reliability than do double ovens, regardless of brand. We use our Elux Speed oven, as our 2nd oven, actually we use it more than the larger oven, saves a lotta time and energy, like baked taters or yams in 14 minutes instead of an hour.

Most the folks that have the Advantiums are as happy with them, as I am with mine, but being older, I kinda like to have similar (wavetouch) controls on both ovens, kinda like always getting in the same car and driving it, you get familiar with it---Ya know what I mean?

Anyway great decisions!!!

Gary

• newhome4us
    12 years ago

taddhg-- curious what is your budget and have you been able to find any deals?

• adel97
    12 years ago

Love my Miele DW. Cleans fine, and VERY quiet.

My Advantium 240 is easily my favorite appliance. The only down side is that it makes you really stupid. I now dial "cook-vegetables-fresh" or "melt-butter-half stick" or "reheat-plate of food" or "speedcook-chicken bone in-4 servings" , "speedcook-sides-roasted mixed vegetables" and I've completely forgotten how to time things by myself on a regular MW or oven. The other day I boiled over my oatmeal big time at my Mom's house. BTW, you know it's also a warming oven, right? E.g., "warm-175degrees-crisp"

Good luck!

• tadhg555
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean61 -

I'm working with a local appliance dealer and trying to get them to match pricing I find online (AJ Madison, etc.). Haven't found anything spectacular. I played around with searching Ebay, Craigslist, etc. but frankly any truly impressive deals were offset by distance and/or the lack of any secure sense of professionalism.

• asm22
    11 years ago

taghd,

We are basically at the same point as you. Instead of speed oven we are looking at the new wolf steam/convec. Still debating having 3 ovens (full range - gas) electric convec/steam convec. convinced the BS is the best cooktop, but the oven build quality is better on the wolf (all gas open burner). decisions...

In practice, are you happy with your choices? Are they installed now?

Thanks