Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf All Gas 2012 model vs new 2013 model

Posted by Jeannefit (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 17:38

Ok - so I finally whittled down my range choices to the wolf all gas however I really prefer the look of the 2012 model. I was able to find the 2012 brand new (not floor model) for the same price as the new 2013 all gas model. Beside the aesthetics' and the burner's are they fairly equal? Should I get the new and improved even though I prefer the look of the old 2012 model? Help please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf All Gas 2012 model vs new 2013 model

Yes, the 2013 model has been redesinged, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is improved. From what I understand, the design changes were implemented to reduce production costs. There are some changes that may or may not make a difference in your decision.

The new model range has an electronic spark ignitor for the oven, while the older, now discontinued model has a glow bar ignitor. With the new model, you will hear the oven make a tick, tick, tick noise whenever it re-lights itself to maintain the temperature. I had a Viking range that did the same thing and it drove me batty. The older Wolf model oven is silent, except for the slight "whoosh" when the gas ignites.

The range tops are different as well. The new model has a one piece top that cannot be moved or lifted up for cleaning, and the grates are continuous. The older model has a top that can be completely removed, as well as a pull-out drip pan, and it has separate burner grates. To me, that means easier to move and clean.

The available risers are different, too. The newer model has risers that vent directly out the top, while the older model risers vent towards the front. The five-inch riser on the older model has a different style than their larger risers.

Wolf's website states that they keep parts available for discontinued models for at least 20 years, and most for much longer, so if you are concerned about parts that shouldn't be an issue.

If you prefer the look of the 2012, you'd better grab it while you can. IMHO, the new range does not have any "better" features.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 19:11

o

As with cars, the last of a model run is always more desirable than the first year of a new model... If I was looking at Wolf right now as an option, hands down the old "unimproved" model would be my choice

o

If you like the older model get that. Overall, they probably aren't that different in the way they cook. There are just a few things that are a matter of preference. I have the sealed burners and really like them. They have been on the DF ranges for quite awhile and i have had mine for 5 years. I like that I don't have to take a things apart to clean them and the range is open in the bottom front, easy to clean underneath. The sealed burners also have a small pan burner in addition to the bigger burners. Try to see either live if you can. You might be able to cook on them or hear the clicking on the new one and see if it would bother you. The fan might drown it out if you use convection. You could also see how they vent.

o

I am one of those who also purposely just bought one of the now-discontinued models specifically because I preferred the open burner technology over the newer that is being implemented by Wolf where all of their cook tops will now be the same and sealed in both the DF and the AG to save production costs in the factory. We've had ours a month now and are very pleased. As far as cleaning up the top, it is a piece of cake. Normally it is just a quick wipe down, but the other day we took the actual burner pans out because we were looking for the model number to set up the warranty. This was super simple too.

If you prefer the older model, get it now because there aren't many left. Or, if you want to save some money, as several people here have, see if you can find a floor model. They are fine and will save you about 20%.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here