Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Profile or GE Monogram dilemma; please help!

Posted by phillysf (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 17:29

Hello,

I have lurked for a while, first post. We are renovating our kitchen and have designed the cooking choices around a single wall oven and speed cook oven. We have not found a dealer excited to work with the Electrolux line, so we are really aiming at the GE Profile and GE Monogram lines. Here's the dilemma:

- For the Profile, we have a quote of $ 6,105 for the 240V Advantium, 30" wall oven with convection, 36" gas cooktop, and warming drawer, all stainless steel. No rebate, but full store (Sears) 5 year warranty above and beyond baseline GE warranty. Also tax free.

- For the Monogram, we have a quote of $ 6,696 for the comparable 4 items (240 V advantium, single 30" convection, warming drawer, 36" drop in gas cooktop). If we add a 42" hood for $ 1,799, we qualify for the Monogram $ 1,000 rebate. So we end up at $ 7,495 for all 4 plus a hood. But, no additional warranty/service, and have to pay sales tax

What are your thoughts? Monogram pricing too good to be true (it's an established store, not an online shipper)? What's the value of the 5 year Sears service? Any insights would be greatly helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Profile or GE Monogram dilemma; please help!

From what I've heard on here, the only real difference between Profile and Monogram are the way they look (exterior) as most of the interior parts are the say...through Monogram sell for more. Sears charges a lot for their warranties and don't discount their products much, which is one reason why I don't shop their. I would guess that a 5 year Sears warranty on all that is about $800-1000 of that price. They should be able to tell you though.

Between those two deal, I'd go with the Profile.

o
RE: GE Profile or GE Monogram dilemma; please help!

Some Monogram products such as ranges and fridges are completely different from the Profile line - some like MWs are just better looking. Also, Monogram provides better warranty service. I'd stay away from a Sears extended warranty - you'll likely be locked into using A&E for service.

You don't need to go with a single brand, however. Most of us mix and match. Do your research and get the best brand of each product that meets your needs. No need to get a complete package from one brand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here