Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall oven reviews

Posted by AJinNH (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 17:29

We are just beginning a major kitchen remodel and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of the decisions.
The one that is causing the most trouble at the moment is deciding on what brand and model for wall ovens.

I cook a lot. I'm pretty sure that we're going with a Wolf 6 burner range top. I'm still waffling about the microwave, but I'm leaning towards putting a (brand to be named later) large counter top model on a shelf somewhere. I mostly use the microwave for warming or cooking vegetables. We want to have two wall ovens.

I want the wall ovens to have a good capacity, I cook a very large turkey each Thanksgiving in the 30 lb. range, pre stuffed.

I need something reliable and without all of the issues with self-cleaning as I do use that function frequently.

I love the convection feature of my current oven and would like that in the wall ovens.

I don't like noisy ovens or ones that leak into the glass front.

Function and reliability, they'll get used often.

Please let me know how often you use your ovens and how long you've owned them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall oven reviews

I have smaller counter top MW on a shelf close to the frig. We mainly use it to reheat. It is away from the cooking area but still accessible if I new it. If someone wants to heat something, they are out of my way.

There has been quite a bit written about ovens lately. I would search Wolf, Electrolux, Gaggenau, and possibly Miele and Bosch for all the opinions. One of the advantages of electric convection is that you can have the third element which helps the oven bake more evenly when full. As far as space, you have to look at how your pans fit in them. It isn't just a matter of cubic feet. My sister and I cook thanksgiving for quite a few people and we have gone to more turkeys in the 12-15 lb range rather than gigantic turkeys. They are easier to manage and cook quicker. Because they cook over a shorter time, there are less issues with part drying out.

I personally have a Wolf 36 DF range and love the oven. I also have an Electrolux 30 inch wall oven and love it. Neither has had a self clean issue but I would buy an extended warranty as replacing computer board is expensive if you can't do it yourself.

You might also consider a combo of one gas and one electric wall oven. Even with electric double ovens, I would consider 2 separate ovens because if one has a problem, you still have the other.

When you get your new ovens, there is somewhat of an adjustment as the convection may work a little differently brand to brand. If you get an oven with electronics, get something that has a track record.

o
RE: Wall oven reviews

Thank you so much wekick for the thoughtful and thorough response. After discussing the issues with my DH we are leaning towards either two separate wall ovens, or a stove plus one wall oven.

I haven't baked in a gas oven in a long time, we're going to add an LP tank for cooking and whole-house generator. Does the Wolf cook evenly? I always hear that electric is better to bake with. But now you have me thinking of a Wolf range!

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here