Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

need a low-cost microwave - under-counter - 24" cabinet

feisty68
10 years ago

Hi folks,

Any suggestions for a low-cost microwave that would fit in a 24" cabinet installed under the counter? I'm in Canada.

I read previous threads and did some research and found these options:

* Panasonic makes a microwave and trim kit designed for 24" wide cabinet, but the total cost would be $675 - seems overpriced to me

* Sharp microwave drawer - again quite expensive

* cheaper options??

Should I believe manufacturer recommendations about required clearances around countertop microwaves? I found an LG microwave that would fit in the cavity but they want 4" clearance on all sides - that seems like a lot to me, even for on a countertop.

When you get a custom trim kit, does it have to conform with manufacturer recommended clearances?

Comments (27)

• xedos
    10 years ago

Get any microwave you want and order a trim kit from Micro Trim in Cali for about $125-$150.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Xedos. Any thoughts on whether the trim kit has to allow the minimum clearance recommended by the manufacturer? - that's 4" in each direction in the case of LG :/

• xedos
    10 years ago

the trim kit is custom sized to whatever microwave you buy and the cabinet it goes in.

It's incumbent on you or your designer to size the cabinet, opening and trim kit according to the specifications necessary for the micro you select.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Here's another trim kit company--don't have any idea of whether the quality is better than/worse than/same as microtrim, but I do like the look of their trim better:

Here is a link that might be useful: euro trim

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks writersblock. I looked at euro trim but they don't have any trims for readily available inexpensive microwaves that fit 24".

I am baffled that this is so complicated.

xedos-
    "It's incumbent on you or your designer to size the cabinet, opening and trim kit according to the specifications necessary for the micro you select."Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, then the trim kit is purely cosmetic and I won't bother. I thought it might facilitate venting to allow smaller clearances or something.

• User
    10 years ago

The problem is that you have a pretty small cabinet. Most built ins have trim kits for 27" or 30" and are sized with the clearances appropriately figured into it. One of the smaller GE models might work for you for width to just sit on the shelf, but since you didn't give the height you have available, that's just conjecture.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE JES0736SPSS

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is a small cabinet and I didn't realize how hard it would be to find something with the correct dimensions. I've never been a microwave user, so that's part of my ignorance.

The height of the space is somewhat flexible - I will arrange the cabinet to fit the microwave, but I'm not sure if I can pull off more than the 24" cabinet width.

The GE JES0736SPSS is promising, but it's 18.25" wide, and GE wants 3" between microwave and sidewalls - thus requiring a width of 24.25" whereas the interior cabinet dimension is 22.5". GE also says "This appliance shall not be installed less than 36" above the floor"...not sure why?

Thanks for the help live_wire_oak.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a possibility:

Frigidaire 0.7 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave
    17-1/4" W x 13-1/8" D x 10-1/8" H
    FFCM0734LS

But the owner's manual doesn't specify space needed around the microwave. I've seen 3" and 4" required by other manufacturers.

• xedos
    10 years ago

feisty- the trim kit is purely decorative. I thought that was a given, but I've been doing this a long time and sometimes miss the obvious.

re: the height. - legalese.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks xedos. I think the Whirlpool that looks like a TV is probably the best fit considering clearance requirements. Not sure if there's a convenient Canadian supplier.

• weissman
    10 years ago

No, trim kits are not always just decorative. I know that in my case the trim kit enables the MW to vent out the front. I don't know if this is true for all MWs though. Check the specs on your MW.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>I know that in my case the trim kit enables the MW to vent out the front.

Yes, a good trim kit should do this, if it's going to completely fill in the area around the microwave.

I'd just do the corner countertop and call it a day, myself.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input writersblock. I like the idea of "hiding" the microwave below-counter in the island because it will face in a direction that is not in any major sightlines. Counterspace is at a premium and anything on the counters is also very visible in our small open concept kitchen (especially because I won't have upper cabinets). Only the coffeepot and utensil caddy will be on the counters. That's the plan anyway :) .

This post was edited by feisty68 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 1:25

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks also for the clarifications regarding the function of trimkits weissman and writersblock. Sounds like there is not agreement on whether actually serve a function other than "filler"? Perhaps some trim kits are functional (to facilitate venting) and others aren't?

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I've been looking at a manufacturer made trim kit and it seems to have three functions:
    1. anti-tip bracket prevents microwave from tipping forward
    2. metal thingy under the microwave is actually a DUCT that compensates for reduced airspace on the sides/top of the microwave and
    3. front trim allows air flow out of cabinet opening while hiding gaps around microwave

So, that gives me a new idea. I could use any microwave that fits within the available width (22.5") - and there are many easily available options - as long as I allow adequate vent space above and below the microwave. I have more flexibility in the height dimensions than the width dimension in my kitchen design. For ABOVE venting I can simply allow enough space above the microwave. For BELOW venting I can put the microwave on a sturdy wire shelf and ensure that adequate airspace below and out is maintained. The manufacturer's airspace recommendations should be able to be addressed that way because the models I have looked at don't have side vents anyway, so it shouldn't matter if the sides are close to the cabinet sides as long at the venting is adequate above and below.

So a model like the one below should work (CAN $159). Does this make sense?

Here is a link that might be useful: LG 1.5-cu ft 1,100-Watt Countertop Microwave

• xedos
    10 years ago

weissman - any of the microwaves that you see with kits that vent out of the front can be used without those kits!

In fact, many models are identical (except for the model #) to units that sell as countertop models.

You only need provide the necessary clearances around the microwave for air flow. All those kits are doing is re -directing that flow so that a face plate can be added to "fill in" the opening created by said clearance.

It's purely cosmetic for those that like the look. The microwave will function just fine without the kit. Though , why you'd buy one with a kit and not use it is another story.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Xedos, the trim kits that have a duct UNDER the microwave, thus allowing narrower clearances on the sides, do actually seem to serve a purpose that is non-cosmetic. For example I found a GE microwave trim kit that did that.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Yes feisty, those ducts do serve a purpose, but that microwave CAN function just fine without that kit. That's my point.

That kit allows for a cleaner look, or narrower cabinet, or this or that and the other - but that is purely a cosmetic choice or install requirement based on your design and a specific unit. No one says you have to use THAT unit though.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice execution of a DIY trim kit with ducting under the microwave:

That is looking like an attractive option.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to fake a built-in microwave

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Well, that certainly looks cool, but I don't understand how putting vent slits in the box the micro stands on will help it vent. I would expect a MW installed like that to have a very short life span because of poor air circulation/lack of venting, so I'd be sure I was willing to have to keep making a new front every year or two, frankly, when you have to replace the MW with a new one that isn't the exact same dimensions.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Writersblock, I am assuming that the DIY solution imitates the manufacturer-type trim kits - where the duct passes under the microwave. In other words, I believe that the box that the microwave sits on doesn't go to the back of the cabinet interior - which would allow steam to circulate behind the microwave and down and under the box and come through the vents.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

considering:

Panasonic 1.2 Genius Microwave - Stainless Steel - NNST663S
    http://www.londondrugs.com/Panasonic-1.2-Genius-Microwave---Stainless-Steel---NNST663S/L7704786,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=appliances-kitchen-microwaves
    * this gets good reviews but apparently it's noisy and has a lot of beeping, which I'd like to avoid

LG 1.1 CU. FT. Counter Top Microwave - Easy One Touch Cooking
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lg-11-cu-ft-counter-top-microwave-easy-one-touch-cooking/6000092376501
    * sounds like there have been lots of lemons, but otherwise consumers are satisfied

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Thanks, feisty. It's been a while since I looked at any of the specialized trim kits, but they used to sort of funnel the vented hot air. Don't they work that way anymore? The older third party kits from microtrim et al used to have slashes all over the front panel, especially at the top, to ensure sufficient ventilation, and I see they no longer do that, so maybe things have changed.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Writersblock - sorry that I missed your reply! I think that they do sort of funnel the vented hot air - when I looked at a diagram of one, they allow the air to vent *under* the microwave rather than just the top and sides.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've purchased the

LG 1.5 CU.FT. COUNTERTOP MICROWAVE WITH EASYCLEAN LMS1531ST
    WxHxD=21 7/8" x 12 19/32" x 17 7/32"

It was on sale for CAN$150 at Future Shop (with free shipping).

That will just fit in the interior width of the cabinet, which is 22.5".

I am planning a solution similar to the blogger's one that I posted above (on Apr 2, 14 at 15:22). I will mount it as high as possible for optimal ergonomics, with most venting going under the unit.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG 1.5 CU.FT. COUNTERTOP MICROWAVE

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 16:22

• mother ofsix
    6 years ago

How did your solution work Feisty? Did your microwave last using the solution of the blogger that you posted? Thinking of doing something similar. Thank you.