Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone discovered Jade residential ranges?

Posted by springplanter (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 17:17

Just found these on the web. Dvorson's in CA have them and they seem to come in with many of the things I am looking for: open burners, well made, reputation, IR broiler, large oven and free colors!

Please let us know if you have any experience or knowledge of these:)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone discovered Jade residential ranges?

I'm not sure where the "reputation" for the brand would accrue from today but, originally; Jade Range was a private company that built Jade branded ranges for commercial use and the Dynasty brand for residential use. The company was then purchased by Maytag. During Maytag's ownership, the Dynasty brand was shelved and the residential brand was re-labeled as Jade. The professional range niche was not a good fit for Maytag and the brand lost market share to the rest of the industry while Maytag went into a financial and marketing free-fall, resulting in their eventual purchase by Whirlpool. I don't know what happened after that but, I think both Dynasty and Jade disappeared from the scene for a time. For what it's worth, there are certainly a lot of other choices for this type of product from companies that don't have the murky history of the Jade brand.

o

Whirlpool sold to Middleby.

This new range seems like direct competition to BS RCS. Bigger sizes available for Jade.

But even more commercial. It has visible wheels on the bottom too.A bit too commercial me thinks.

A 10k btu simmer burner plus 15k btu burners.

It is about $800 more expensive than the BS. I guess that is where the free color comes from.

Is Dvorson's the only seller? Jadestoves.com goes directly to the Dvorsons site. I don't see these on the jaderange.com site.

Anybody have a pic of the burner?

I have read old threads here on GW about a customer who bought a Jade Built-in refrigerator from Eurostoves.

At the end Trevor from Eurostoves kicked Jade out of his store for horrific customer service.

o

From the pics it looks fantastic! (Imo). I love an industrial style range. I think I would have to disagree with you dee about the wheels. I think castors not only look good but serve a purpose. Not only would you be able to clean under the range (which you can do on a number of pro style ranges) but you could also roll the unit out and clean the sides of your cabintry or walls butting up to the range as well as the ranges sides too.

I would love to see the burners.

o

Industrial "style" is one thing mimicking the "design" of my local grease pit is another.

Wheels at the back is enough to be able to move the range for cleaning purposes.

o

Deeageaux: I take it you are not a fan? :)

o

We did a buy-back of a Jade residential 6-burner (sealed burners), AG range back in 2007. Jade was owned by Maytag then. The range had a number of issues from day one (A&E svce was the service company, and they did not know how to service the range). In addition to the issues, we hated the burners and the oven fan (we never got to see the range "live"). We didn't realize that the burner flames/diameter of both the large and the small burners, were larger than all but our largest pots and pans. We also weren't aware until the first use of the oven, that the extremely, extremely loud oven fan came on as soon as the oven reached 000 degrees (I forget how hot), and didn't go off until the oven had pretty much cooled down completely.

I don't know what the new ranges are like. If they are much improved, and the company is stable (it wasn't when we got ours; Maytag was looking to sell off the Jade brand at that time), then they might be worth looking at. If the range is anything like it was back in 2007, I'd tell you to look at something else.

o

I have a friend who has one, it came with her house (in Sausolito, where Dvorson's is). She seems pretty happy with it, for what it is worth.

One big thing to note. Although the burners are open and have drip trays, they are NOT the same type of open burner as bluestar or CC...they look more like a sealed burner, with a ring of fire and a cast iron cap on top. You can see pics of one on the attached link (which I just found - not mine).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Jade Residential

o

Their "reputation" is in the toilet and I wasn't even aware that they survived being purchased by Matag/Whirlpool. I thought they were defunct except for their commercial division. They have a LONG road ahead of them to try to gain back any respect in the consumer market.

o

>One big thing to note. Although the burners are open and have drip trays, they are NOT the same type of open burner as bluestar or CC...they look more like a sealed burner, with a ring of fire and a cast iron cap on top. You can see pics of one on the attached link (which I just found - not mine).

Ok so these burners are very similer to vikings open burners. This type of open burner really doesn't offer a huge improvement in cooking performance over sealed.

o

Wow - good to know about all the issues. I'm having a really hard time finding a professional style residential range. From this forum I have discovered flaws in just about every type of range. Does anyone have a professional residential range they are happy with that doesn't cost more than$4,000?

o

Very happy with my DCS 30" range. Had it for nearly 10 years - don't how much it costs now but it was under 4K when I got it. Not so popular on this forum because it has sealed burners - but they are excellent at both the high and the low simmer. Other happy owners on this forum as well.

o

I like my Bertazzoni 36, it is a cooking machine. Never had a problem with it (owned for more than a year and a half now). I got it on sale for something like 3299 I think. The normal price is around 3800. I assume you probably are looking for a "pro-style" range. People assume my berta is some super fancy rare italian range and costs thousands more because of the way it cooks.

Good luck on your choice, I find my berta cooks just as well as my friends Viking. And the center burner of the berta is great.

o

Jade was a common supplier of wok ranges at one point and that's my main experience with Jade ranges. For that it was a decent brand. For regular ranges Garland and Vulcan were still my top choices. I love cooking on commercial equipment but I'd go with a BS or CC for the home today.

Very few companies have successfully made the transition from commercial to residential. The only one has been Wolf and they went through multiple hands and basically today's Wolf range is only similar in name to the original commercial ranges. I have a friend that owns one of the early Wolf residential ranges (circa 1996) and it is built very much like the commercial ranges. She still has it in fact.

o

I just ordered a 36" 6 burner Jade for my kitchen remodel. I wanted to keep my $$$ local and figured if I had a problem I could knock on their door. I'll let you know how it turns out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here