Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springplanter

Anyone discovered Jade residential ranges?

springplanter
12 years ago

Just found these on the web. Dvorson's in CA have them and they seem to come in with many of the things I am looking for: open burners, well made, reputation, IR broiler, large oven and free colors!

Please let us know if you have any experience or knowledge of these:)

Thanks

Comments (25)

• kitchenkat
    12 years ago

I'm not sure where the "reputation" for the brand would accrue from today but, originally; Jade Range was a private company that built Jade branded ranges for commercial use and the Dynasty brand for residential use. The company was then purchased by Maytag. During Maytag's ownership, the Dynasty brand was shelved and the residential brand was re-labeled as Jade. The professional range niche was not a good fit for Maytag and the brand lost market share to the rest of the industry while Maytag went into a financial and marketing free-fall, resulting in their eventual purchase by Whirlpool. I don't know what happened after that but, I think both Dynasty and Jade disappeared from the scene for a time. For what it's worth, there are certainly a lot of other choices for this type of product from companies that don't have the murky history of the Jade brand.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Whirlpool sold to Middleby.

This new range seems like direct competition to BS RCS. Bigger sizes available for Jade.

But even more commercial. It has visible wheels on the bottom too.A bit too commercial me thinks.

A 10k btu simmer burner plus 15k btu burners.

It is about $800 more expensive than the BS. I guess that is where the free color comes from.

Is Dvorson's the only seller? Jadestoves.com goes directly to the Dvorsons site. I don't see these on the jaderange.com site.

Anybody have a pic of the burner?

I have read old threads here on GW about a customer who bought a Jade Built-in refrigerator from Eurostoves.

At the end Trevor from Eurostoves kicked Jade out of his store for horrific customer service.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

From the pics it looks fantastic! (Imo). I love an industrial style range. I think I would have to disagree with you dee about the wheels. I think castors not only look good but serve a purpose. Not only would you be able to clean under the range (which you can do on a number of pro style ranges) but you could also roll the unit out and clean the sides of your cabintry or walls butting up to the range as well as the ranges sides too.

I would love to see the burners.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Industrial "style" is one thing mimicking the "design" of my local grease pit is another.

Wheels at the back is enough to be able to move the range for cleaning purposes.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Deeageaux: I take it you are not a fan? :)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

We did a buy-back of a Jade residential 6-burner (sealed burners), AG range back in 2007. Jade was owned by Maytag then. The range had a number of issues from day one (A&E svce was the service company, and they did not know how to service the range). In addition to the issues, we hated the burners and the oven fan (we never got to see the range "live"). We didn't realize that the burner flames/diameter of both the large and the small burners, were larger than all but our largest pots and pans. We also weren't aware until the first use of the oven, that the extremely, extremely loud oven fan came on as soon as the oven reached 000 degrees (I forget how hot), and didn't go off until the oven had pretty much cooled down completely.

I don't know what the new ranges are like. If they are much improved, and the company is stable (it wasn't when we got ours; Maytag was looking to sell off the Jade brand at that time), then they might be worth looking at. If the range is anything like it was back in 2007, I'd tell you to look at something else.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

I have a friend who has one, it came with her house (in Sausolito, where Dvorson's is). She seems pretty happy with it, for what it is worth.

One big thing to note. Although the burners are open and have drip trays, they are NOT the same type of open burner as bluestar or CC...they look more like a sealed burner, with a ring of fire and a cast iron cap on top. You can see pics of one on the attached link (which I just found - not mine).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Jade Residential

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Their "reputation" is in the toilet and I wasn't even aware that they survived being purchased by Matag/Whirlpool. I thought they were defunct except for their commercial division. They have a LONG road ahead of them to try to gain back any respect in the consumer market.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

>One big thing to note. Although the burners are open and have drip trays, they are NOT the same type of open burner as bluestar or CC...they look more like a sealed burner, with a ring of fire and a cast iron cap on top. You can see pics of one on the attached link (which I just found - not mine).

Ok so these burners are very similer to vikings open burners. This type of open burner really doesn't offer a huge improvement in cooking performance over sealed.

• fun4moi
    11 years ago

Wow - good to know about all the issues. I'm having a really hard time finding a professional style residential range. From this forum I have discovered flaws in just about every type of range. Does anyone have a professional residential range they are happy with that doesn't cost more than$4,000?

• weissman
    11 years ago

Very happy with my DCS 30" range. Had it for nearly 10 years - don't how much it costs now but it was under 4K when I got it. Not so popular on this forum because it has sealed burners - but they are excellent at both the high and the low simmer. Other happy owners on this forum as well.

• jgopp
    11 years ago

I like my Bertazzoni 36, it is a cooking machine. Never had a problem with it (owned for more than a year and a half now). I got it on sale for something like 3299 I think. The normal price is around 3800. I assume you probably are looking for a "pro-style" range. People assume my berta is some super fancy rare italian range and costs thousands more because of the way it cooks.

Good luck on your choice, I find my berta cooks just as well as my friends Viking. And the center burner of the berta is great.

• amcook
    11 years ago

Jade was a common supplier of wok ranges at one point and that's my main experience with Jade ranges. For that it was a decent brand. For regular ranges Garland and Vulcan were still my top choices. I love cooking on commercial equipment but I'd go with a BS or CC for the home today.

Very few companies have successfully made the transition from commercial to residential. The only one has been Wolf and they went through multiple hands and basically today's Wolf range is only similar in name to the original commercial ranges. I have a friend that owns one of the early Wolf residential ranges (circa 1996) and it is built very much like the commercial ranges. She still has it in fact.

• commercialman
    11 years ago

I just ordered a 36" 6 burner Jade for my kitchen remodel. I wanted to keep my $$$ local and figured if I had a problem I could knock on their door. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• mary rocha
    8 years ago

commercialman I know I'm late here, but I'm comtenplating the posibility of buying aJade Range 36" residential, I'm in a budget and I'm getting it second hand. Looks great, very good conditions but would like to hear the experience from anyone that have had one for several years, thank you!!

• User
    8 years ago

Mary- think you're just going to have to roll the dice for yourself.

In case you didn't read the thread here's the summary: Jade was a small resi player even a decade ago, had trouble , was bought out several times , and doesn't even do residential appliance anymore.

Its an OK piece of kit - until it's not. Then you have a paperweight.

It's not a good move if you're averse to risk

• smithdljb
    7 years ago

We purchased a 48" Jade residential range in 2006. Purchased a part for it in 2012. Attempted to order another part on August 2016 and was told by Jade that because their residential line was now discontinued they no longer have parts! That response was not acceptable considering the fact we paid $5600 for it and expected to use it for many more years. We were given the number of the area Jade rep and he stated he would try to locate a part and get back to us which he never did. After no response for six weeks we called again to follow up and he said he needed us to email the model/serial numbers again. He also stated that there was a "program" where we could purchase a range from their sister company, Viking at a discount. I told him I was in no position to buy a new stove of that type. I doubt that he will be able to find the part based on my research. Anyone else have the same experience and how was it handled?

• GreenDesigns
    7 years ago

Manufacturers are only required to make replacement parts available 10 years post manufacture date. You are out of luck in pressuring them to do anything. Just because you pay more for something doesn't make it more reliable than something you pay less for. The reverse is probably true, actually. Even so, 2 repairs in 10 years is probably much better than the average track record for just about anything on the market. :-/

• kyis
    7 years ago

We have had 36" unit for many years and has been nothing but problems. worst oven ever. Burned my cabinets it was inserted into. Needs $1000 repair again for burned out oven burners. Difficult to clean. Very sturdy. I'm ready throw the towel in.

• Ev Henry
    5 years ago

I have this range. I love it, love the burners, love the professional oven, the size and look. When I leave, it's coming with me. I'll buy a crappy old home stove and oven to leave for the new folks.

• zneret
    5 years ago

A bit old but I had a Dynasty 30" NG range that came with my old house. Loved the cook top as all burners could go from the gentlest simmer to full heat. The burners were stainless steel and were one piece (tube and burner) from valve onward. The oven, non-convection did have a problem that the burners were outside so it took a lot of time (and NG) to heat up. I do miss the oven (have a Miele modular that came with my new house). Just had to replace the IR grill and oven ignitors in all the time.

I did buy a used Dynasty grill (cheap) that I love. Some parts (burners and briquette holders) are still available.

• Kitty Stoeppelwerth
    5 years ago
    I have had my 6 burner plus griddle stove top since 2007, dish washer, refrigerator and ovens. we had some thermostat problems at first on the griddle....not hot enough 500 degrees needed.
    we finally got it to those temperatures. I do like that the ovens can be regulated temperature wise without a service call. all the appliances seem to be going strong after all this time.
  • commercialman
    5 years ago

Jade Range discontinued their residential line several years ago. I'm sure glad I bought one before then.

• HU-905803390
    4 years ago

I bought my 36" Jade gas range in 2002. I configured it for LP and got the model with the griddle in the middle of 4 other burners. I absolutely have loved this stove for years. Baked in the huge oven with no hot spots and the ceramic broiler performed admirably. I moved in 2016 and the new place already had a 36" range. Yes, I actually carted my old Jade with me and it is being stored here and not used. Now am going to sell it on eBay. (Definitely don't need 2 big ranges.) I never had any problems ordering parts for it or installing them myself. End of an era I guess, I just happened to have a great experience. I miss my Jade!