Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under counter microwaves

Posted by boccemom (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 17:17

We are planning a remodel and I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Panasonic Prestige under counter convection microwave? It is reasonably priced (compared to others) and seems to get great reviews. Looking for some first hand experience or any other recommendations. We plan to put the microwave in the kitchen island. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under counter microwaves

We just installed a Thermador MCES in our island. For us it was the only place to put it, and I wanted a smaller micro/convection oven to go with my cavernous range oven.
A few things to consider. In convection mode, the exterior (and I'm assuming you'll use a trim kit for addt'l ventilation), the exterior can get pretty hot if you are running it at 450. Probably not a wise idea if you have small children.If you do have children, and they are only using the microwave feature, having it closer to their size may be preferable to adult eye level, or counter-top applications.
After years of eye level microwaves, it does take some getting used to for the "bend and nuke" usage.
On the upside, having a smaller oven cavity is ideal for smaller items (I baked a couple of potatoes earlier in the week) and was glad I didn't need to fire up a 5.7 cu foot oven for the task.

o
RE: Under counter microwaves

Thank you! I will look at the Thermador and compare. Great point about running convection at high temps; it would be nice to have the smaller oven for quick things. Will keep researching!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here